The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 April 2021, 02:54 AM   #1
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Breitling Navtimer

I am looking for some advice , What would you think about a Breitling Navtimer is it a decent watch ? , Financially is it a good place to park some money or is it like every other Breitling I have ever owned a money pit . Dropping 40% in value the moment I walked out the door ? Or should I look for a nice used example ? . Not having bought a Breitling in the last ten years I consider myself a little out of touch

TIA
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 02:55 AM   #2
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If you like it, that is all that matters.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 02:56 AM   #3
dibarch
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I have always love that watch. I would definitely look into it used if that is okay with you. Why take the value hit if you love the watch that's all that matters, but buying a great mint used piece will save you $$
dibarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 03:17 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I am looking for some advice , What would you think about a Breitling Navtimer is it a decent watch ? , Financially is it a good place to park some money or is it like every other Breitling I have ever owned a money pit . Dropping 40% in value the moment I walked out the door ? Or should I look for a nice used example ? . Not having bought a Breitling in the last ten years I consider myself a little out of touch

TIA
Got to ask why post this in the Rolex/Tudor only watch forum.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 03:23 AM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

TIA
Buy a watch, wear the watch, buy what you cant live without...Breitlings are great but I've never known or cared about their value after buying them. I seriously don't get all the talk about value here. Do you not have a broker or financial advisor? I ask my broker about investments and he asks me about watches. Different things...
Old 17 April 2021, 03:27 AM   #6
CountryRoads
"TRF" Member

Love my Navi A13330

I bought an Early 2000's Fighters Special Edition with all brushed metal (A13330). It is the 41 MM with the Panda dial. When I bought it, I had a 214270, 16570 Polar, and 116234 White Roman. It fits great in my collection for the purpose of straps. I don't like changing the bracelets on my Rolex's. The Navitimer surprised me at how much of a strap monster it is. I have the black alligator, tan canvas, brushed fine link, brown distressed leather, and several military nato's. It takes every strap extremely well. It also feels a little more vintage/military/rustic than my Rolex's, which feel very subdued/classy. It also has an understated elegance on the alligator strap. In summary, I love the navitimer. It has history, versatility, and is very different than my Rolex's, in a good way.

I hope this helps.
CountryRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 03:33 AM   #7
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

You asked the question, I’ll try to answer the best way I know how. As I previously stated, no idea about Breitlings values I have bought over the years but this one I picked up second hand 25 or more years ago. I think it’s one of the most beautiful watches ever and When I wear it, I can’t stop looking at it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2021, 03:42 AM   #8
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Hi Peter

I am asking for a Builder who came round today ,we ended up talking watches and he asked Navtimer ? . I was honest I have no idea but thought you guys would know ,

My only advice was if your keeping it forever, cost is immaterial, If as he suggested he would trade it and upgrade he may want to get some advice as it could be a expensive mistake , I had a few in 08 and it was a expensive mistake

I purchased a Starliner for my wife , list was £5750 after a deal £4500 , three years later I was offered £1000 , Then I took a offer from a friend £1500 , When he had owned it a year or so the ETA movement failed.
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:03 AM   #9
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
TRF needs a Breitling forum.
Oh wait. It DOES!

Couldn't bother posting in the appropriate area; no sign of it there right now.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:16 AM   #10
flyboyyy
"TRF" Member

As a pilot with lots of pilot friends - I see many of these watches on wrists regularly because many of them consider it "the watch" for pilots. That said, if folks are being brutally honest they aren't a particularly useful watch overall. What I mean is, they are a fine watch for telling time, and the chrono is marginally useful (like all of them), but the rest is just window dressing. None of us really uses the E6B functionality all that often.

I find the most useful (and enjoyable) flying watch to be a simple GMT with a date (in my case an 116710 I bought many years ago). I've owned a Navitimer, and just didn't bond with it. They are perfectly nice, perfectly recognizable by many "normal" flying folks, and overall I'd say a fine timepiece.

Lastly, I don't know if I'd consider any watch a safe place or "good bet" place to park money, especially not a Navitimer. There are a few references (very specific ones) that have held their value, but most of them have not. If you get one 2nd hand you might be in better shape, now...compare that to what's happened to GMT's. As they say, "past performance is not guarantee of future results", but I know which one I'd look at (and which one I have).
flyboyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:25 AM   #11
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch and a classIc, but definitely not an investment. Look elsewhere if you’re trying to park some money into an appreciating asset. If you just like the watch, find a good used example.

I have to say, aside from the Navi, I’ve never been a Breitling fan; however, I’m really digging some of their most recent models.
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:04 AM   #12
yesnaya
"TRF" Member

I own one. Probably my most beautiful watch. Its a navitimer 01 43mm with a silver dial (called mercury silver) and it was a limited edition. You can buy a brand new navitimer at discount from grey dealers or even places like jomashop. No need to buy anything at full retail unless its just not available otherwise. It wont keep value like a rolex. And even if you buy grey you will take a hit if you want to sell it. Still love it though. Like I said, probably my best looking watch.
yesnaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:07 AM   #13
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Great watch. Had one, sold it, wish I still had it.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:14 AM   #14
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
It's a great watch and extremely unique. If you have been out of the loop for over a decade, the more recent Breitlings I have feature excellent quality, finishing, and detail. Their in-house movements are excellent and their modified ETA movements are also stellar. Like Rolex, they are all about COSC across the board and their in-house movements tend to run extremely accurate and consistent. The pilot bracelet is great although the clasp design was a bit antiquated compared to something like Glidelock or Omega's system (I believe recently they redesigned it.) Also, as you probably know, Breitling uses a double AR on their crystals.

I recommend pricing new but probably buying used. I purchased my Breitlings used and feel I got some outstanding watches for not very significant sums of money at all.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:18 AM   #15
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Breitlings are now nothing more than $$$$$€€€€€€
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 05:19 AM   #16
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Breitlings are now nothing more than $$$$$€€€€€€
Money thing objects?
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:22 AM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Here is mine, a 1985 production...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8870CF5C-2C5C-4B96-ADDE-A5240587B84B.jpeg (76.6 KB, 259 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:25 AM   #18
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
One of the most iconic chronos you can buy with 100x more legit cred than a Daytona. It’s true. But buy used or heavily discounted as you will take a bath. And for those who always try to make everyone feel somehow inferior for thinking about value retention when they buy a watch....... Stop. It’s annoying.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:35 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I am looking for some advice , What would you think about a Breitling Navtimer is it a decent watch ? ,
If you are looking for an iconic watch, one that has a special place in the history of horology then the Breitling Navitimer is a great example

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/heritage/navitimer/

Quote:
The Breitling Navitimer is undoubtedly one of the great classics of watch design remaining relatively unchanged in its basic format since its birth in 1952. The watch we all know for being synonymous with flight and the two-worded answer to the question “what should I buy to celebrate becoming an airline captain?”, the Navitimer is a master class in function over form but with a dash of personality.
https://wristreview.com/a-brief-hist...ing-navitimer/

https://hespokestyle.com/breitling-navitimer-history/

Quote:
In an industry that’s long had a love affair with pilot watches, the Breitling Navitimer occupies a rare position. This is one of the watches that went to space: a small group that, among a few others, counts the Omega Speedmaster, the Seiko “Pogue” 6139, the Sturmanskie Gagarin, and the Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut in its ranks.
https://www.mantlemagazine.com/index...ing-navitimer/

I have come close to buying a Navitimer several times and would still like to add one to my collection one day. For me it is a size issue and the smaller versions are more my fit.

I have had a Speedmaster and own a Daytona, however neither seems to have the style looks of the Navitimer.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:50 AM   #20
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The navitimer is a fantastic watch and far more historically important than the Rolex Daytona and likely top 2/4 all time with the speedy pro first for historical significance.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:52 AM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
One of my favorite all time watches. Only reason I haven't gotten one yet because I have an Omega Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich on leather strap, and I like that slightly better. I'm not sure it makes sense to have both.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:53 AM   #22
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
The Navitimer is a great watch...I used to own the 46mm 01 model but if I had to do it again I’d get the smaller Navitimer 01.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:59 AM   #23
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
In the correct section now Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
TRF needs a Breitling forum.
Oh wait. It DOES!

Couldn't bother posting in the appropriate area; no sign of it there right now.
TRF has had a Breitling section for quite some time now...

As for the OP.
The Navitimer is an iconic piece in the Breitling lineup. Probably their best seller, and most recognizable.
My first mechanical watch was a navitimer in fact.
But as an investment, no watch should be looked at as a place for parking money.
A watch should be worn and enjoyed.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 07:00 AM   #24
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
One of the most iconic chronos you can buy with 100x more legit cred than a Daytona. It’s true. But buy used or heavily discounted as you will take a bath. And for those who always try to make everyone feel somehow inferior for thinking about value retention when they buy a watch....... Stop. It’s annoying.

Sent using Tapatalk

Amen!!

ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 07:16 AM   #25
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I absolutely love the Navitimer and will probably purchase one as my first full PM watch.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 08:30 AM   #26
briank996
"TRF" Member

Quote:

TIA

I personally, with few exceptions, Ithink you'll almost always feel better about the purchase when it's a used watch.
briank996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 10:24 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This is my favorite watch. I highly recommend it. Tell him go grab a 1959 re-edition in clean condition pre owned.

Old 17 April 2021, 10:50 PM   #28
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Great watch. Had one, sold it, wish I still had it.
Me too, always eyeing them up in the for sale section. Compared to Rolex as far as price its a smoking deal. I would also only buy it used since they take a big hit new!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 10:55 PM   #29
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch and a lot of fun to own. They are not Rolex or PP when it comes to value or retention of value but if bought right then you should be close on a sale or trade. If you want a feel on where Breitling is selling or trading for just look at DavidSW's web site. He has a nice selection of various models and you can figure he will offer somewhere at 10-20% below wholesale on new pieces and 10-20% below that for worn pieces. My experience with trading with him on Breitlings. If your friend really likes a watch and will keep it for a number of years before selling it he can do OK as long as Breitling continues with price increases. Good luck.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 03:31 AM   #30
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Find a nice used piece. 43mm would be a great size. Breitling's straps and deployment buckle are fantastic. Get a few different colors and have fun with it.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote