The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2021, 02:15 PM   #1
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Been on waitlist for over a year for a 15450ST...

The process is just so frustrating now getting an AP RO.. I’m just looking for the 37mm stainless steel with white dial, not even blue dial or 15500, it’s just IMPOSSIBLE. I’ve been on the waitlist for over a year, but whenever I checked in with a store they indicated existing customers get first dips and asked if I wanted a diamond RO, again and again..

The grey market somehow can just get 15450ST every week or two and selling it at $10k above MSRP. I’m now losing faith in my wait. Should I just buy from the diamond district here in Manhattan or Chrono24? Or should I keep waiting?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Just sad that a true watch lover can’t land hands on one but somehow the ADs and just showering the grey market with loads..
tifamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 02:46 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifamo View Post
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The best tip I can give is for you to come to the realisation that there is no waiting list - there is a preferred client list. While existing and more valuable clients (including grey market dealers, who may or may not be giving the AD kickbacks) are ready to purchase when stock comes in, you will never get a look in.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 02:54 PM   #3
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
The best tip I can give is for you to come to the realisation that there is no waiting list - there is a preferred client list. While existing and more valuable clients (including grey market dealers, who may or may not be giving the AD kickbacks) are ready to purchase when stock comes in, you will never get a look in.
So buying from a more reputable (motion in time, element in time) dealer from say diamond district is my only chance?... still digesting that $10k over MSRP price tag..
Old 19 April 2021, 03:00 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So buying from a more reputable (motion in time, element in time) dealer from say diamond district is my only chance?... still digesting that $10k over MSRP price tag..

Or buy lightly used from a reputable online grey market dealer or collector. Check WatchRecon to see what is available.
Old 19 April 2021, 03:00 PM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
depends on how much you care about the watch, keep on playing the game and wait but that's only an option if you can wait for a much longer time. Or just o grey.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 03:10 PM   #6
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
depends on how much you care about the watch, keep on playing the game and wait but that's only an option if you can wait for a much longer time. Or just o grey.
Any grey market dealers you recommend? How are the ones on TRF like TAKUYA?
Old 19 April 2021, 03:17 PM   #7
7sins
"TRF" Member

How small is your wrist? I owned one briefly and have small wrists, it still wore very small. I have decent purchase history and took me a few weeks to get one.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 03:21 PM   #8
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
How small is your wrist? I owned one briefly and have small wrists, it still wore very small. I have decent purchase history and took me a few weeks to get one.
Am actually female :)

34mm would’ve been great had the caliber been in-house, so 37mm is the only choice

A few weeks is remarkable. Mine has been 12+ months and counting, and I’ve slowly come to realization that boutiques won’t look at me..
Old 19 April 2021, 03:52 PM   #9
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Been on waitlist for over a year for a 15450ST...

Quote:
Any grey market dealers you recommend? How are the ones on TRF like TAKUYA?

I can’t recommend anyone, but can suggest that you determine how invested a dealer is in the community they sell in.

For example (and this is not a recommended), WatchRecon shows that @AU_911tt has one for sale.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=798219

They have a post count of over 14750, so you know they have been in the community for a while and would probably be mortified if they lost respect of that community by doing something significantly untoward in a transaction. They also freely declare how you can check their transaction references, which is always a good sign. Again, this is not a recommendation, but just an example of how you might go about assuring yourself that a seller is safe to deal with.

After you have found reputable sellers, the next step is to assure yourself about the condition of the watches and (if applicable) accessories/inclusions they have in stock.
Old 19 April 2021, 06:10 PM   #10
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
A white dial 15500 could be had with a years wait where I am.... and 15450 should be easier, based empirical information. I’d suggest speaking to the boutique manager or writing to AP NA on your situation before giving up and going grey.

Speaking from personal insights, the brands are more receptive to female prospects and seeing growth in that segment.
Old 19 April 2021, 07:36 PM   #11
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have done a lot of trades, bought from and sold to, Motion in Time including buying a yellow gold on bracelet 15450. Boris runs a reputable business and has great merchandise.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 08:54 PM   #12
kxh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Am actually female :)

34mm would’ve been great had the caliber been in-house, so 37mm is the only choice

A few weeks is remarkable. Mine has been 12+ months and counting, and I’ve slowly come to realization that boutiques won’t look at me..

Isn’t the movement on the 34mm RO an in house movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 09:38 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would contact our Trusted Sellers and see if you can source the watch and see what the price would be. Negotiate and be ready to buy should the number be right. Get your watch and start the ownership experience. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 09:41 PM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If you plan on starting an AP collection and buying multiple watches, go boutique.

If this is the one and only AP, then just go gray.

I assume you've tried on the actual watches for size to make sure you do want 37 vs 34? I asked because I dreamed of the ROC boutique white/blue version for months only to finally try it on and realize the size wasn't right for me.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 11:15 PM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i had no luck trying to get a white 15450 at the end of 2019 even. stopped by the boutique here multiple times to talk and asked them if i could be put on the wait list (didn't even ask for the watch). they told me they weren't even taking names for the wait list
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 01:21 AM   #16
dygital
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if this is applicable to anyone else, but I put my name down for one in August 2020 at the boutique and went around to all the AD's in Hong Kong in January 2021. I got the call in March 2021 with an AD that I had no relationship with. I walked in, left my number and walked out all in the span of 5 minutes.

The boutique just hasn't had availability for me. Maybe you can try roaming around other AD's in the area, particularly ones with less traffic? It's definitely possible
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 01:56 AM   #17
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I think your AD is saying you have to buy something that is not in demand first then you may be lucky enough to get the 15450. My AD kept pushing me to buy a ladies model when I inquired about a white 15500.

I’m pretty sure Takuya or DavidSW can source you a 15450. Both are sellers on this forum with good reputation.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:01 AM   #18
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
If you really want it and can afford it, just buy from a grey dealer and be done with it for instant gratification.

I personally hate the feeling of waiting with no end date on when I can expect, so I went grey and paid the premium, which I admit was smaller than it is now.

Good luck!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:54 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I think your AD is saying you have to buy something that is not in demand first then you may be lucky enough to get the 15450. My AD kept pushing me to buy a ladies model when I inquired about a white 15500.

I’m pretty sure Takuya or DavidSW can source you a 15450. Both are sellers on this forum with good reputation.
So sad is the day now when the pressure is now applied to 'less sought after ladies pieces', lol. I had another friend that had the same expierence here. Trying to get 15450, got offered the one with diamonds instead, otherwise still waiting.

Then when I tried to get the 34mm one, was suggested I buy something else slower moving since even that was hot now.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 03:28 AM   #20
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

I'm waiting for a blue dial 15450 for my wife, which would be the 4th watch from this boutique in the last two years. Interesting test to see where one's place on the totem pole is.

I agree with @macrowatch - if that's the only AP one wants, best to bite the bullet and go grey. If one is planning to start a wonderful friendship, well, that's going to be expensive.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:13 AM   #21
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
So sad is the day now when the pressure is now applied to 'less sought after ladies pieces', lol. I had another friend that had the same expierence here. Trying to get 15450, got offered the one with diamonds instead, otherwise still waiting.

Then when I tried to get the 34mm one, was suggested I buy something else slower moving since even that was hot now.
It is sad when you can’t even get a 34mm RO.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:15 AM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
OP do you know anyone who can recommend you to the boutique where you are? It can literally make all the difference. As someone said earlier in the thread the allocation is more relationship based than being no. X on a list. The hurdle seems to be getting the 1st watch, once you’ve done that and you’re an existing client things are easier.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:19 AM   #23
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
OP do you know anyone who can recommend you to the boutique where you are? It can literally make all the difference. As someone said earlier in the thread the allocation is more relationship based than being no. X on a list. The hurdle seems to be getting the 1st watch, once you’ve done that and you’re an existing client things are easier.

Ash, I already PMed her Errol's details, he'll help her out.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:21 AM   #24
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Ash, I already PMed her Errol's details, he'll help her out.

Wow that’s awesome. OP must be thrilled.

Old 20 April 2021, 06:23 AM   #25
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Wow that’s awesome. OP must be thrilled.

That's for them to work out between them.

You need some help?
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 06:24 AM   #26
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You need some help?

Mebs, I’ll let you know next week.

Old 20 April 2021, 01:38 PM   #27
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Crazy times!!! as recent as late 2019 these are on display and can be purchased immediately.

Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:00 PM   #28
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You need some help?
Yes indeed I was thrilled! Thank you so much.

Errol did turn out to be the nicest guy ever! He wrote me a lengthy and detailed email reply explaining the situation. And guess what, even Errol said it's hard to promise a 2021 availability for any stainless steel RO...
Old 20 April 2021, 02:25 PM   #29
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Yes indeed I was thrilled! Thank you so much.

Errol did turn out to be the nicest guy ever! He wrote me a lengthy and detailed email reply explaining the situation. And guess what, even Errol said it's hard to promise a 2021 availability for any stainless steel RO...

it really is unfortunate how things are today where people who actually want a watch and not just want to flip it to make some money can’t get them at all hopefully you can find one or if you do end up going gray you find one for not too much of a premium…
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote