The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2021, 03:53 AM   #1
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Rolex AD EXPERIENCE—- it’s ok!!!

Maybe its me... lol. I just can’t BEG for a luxury item. I will never get one at retail, and that’s ok! How does everyone else feel about it?? Let’s have some positive opinions!
rolexgiants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 03:55 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Nobody here begs. ADs have a responsibility to vet, qualify, and background check prospective customers to try to prevent flippers from obtaining great Rolex watches. That's a positive thing!

If you haven't been offered a single Rolex by an AD, the issue is most likely with you or your approach.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:07 AM   #3
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
Establishing rapport doesn’t happen by just by walking in the door. Those Sales Associates have heard and seen it all. They don’t have to sell on demand. And you can’t talk someone into respect.
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:08 AM   #4
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

I kind of agree with the above. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve never felt I had to play AD games. Granted I only have one Rolex at the moment but I know more are coming. If you genuinely focus on building a relationship with an AD and just show you’re persistence then there is really no need to spend $20,000+ just to get a sub. If you’re in a huge market like LA and NYC maybe that doesn’t apply but it holds true in most markets.
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:09 AM   #5
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeface View Post
Establishing rapport doesn’t happen by just by walking in the door. Those Sales Associates have heard and seen it all. They don’t have to sell on demand. And you can’t talk someone into respect.
I get it! And not upset at all! I just want watches to enjoy!
Old 22 April 2021, 04:13 AM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

I am lucky to prefer what were lesser appreciated pieces and to have picked them up before the herd trampled all things Rolex.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:15 AM   #7
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANTK View Post
I kind of agree with the above. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I’ve never felt I had to play AD games. Granted I only have one Rolex at the moment but I know more are coming. If you genuinely focus on building a relationship with an AD and just show you’re persistence then there is really no need to spend $20,000+ just to get a sub. If you’re in a huge market like LA and NYC maybe that doesn’t apply but it holds true in most markets.
These are luxury items, and if they choose not to sell to me, that’s ok! My only point is, I’m not interested in working on a relationship to buy luxury.
Old 22 April 2021, 04:17 AM   #8
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Nobody here begs. ADs have a responsibility to vet, qualify, and background check prospective customers to try to prevent flippers from obtaining great Rolex watches. That's a positive thing!

If you haven't been offered a single Rolex by an AD, the issue is most likely with you or your approach.
You are right, nobody begs , they just buy overpriced jewellery from the AD, unwanted watches and gifts for the SA hoping for a relationship
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:19 AM   #9
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

I don’t think it’s about respect...
I’m the kind of guy who every single morning greets his doorman with-
Good morning SIR!
Old 22 April 2021, 04:20 AM   #10
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
You are right, nobody begs , they just buy overpriced jewellery from the AD, unwanted watches and gifts for the SA hoping for a relationship
LOL. Very true.
Old 22 April 2021, 04:21 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
My Rolex AD is great to deal with
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:24 AM   #12
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
It seems there is no limit to the groveling people will do for the opportunity to have some SA suggest they might get on a list (sic) to possibly be considered for the privilege purchasing a watch at some indeterminate time in the future.

And so much of this self deprecating behavior is supported and reinforced by countless posters on this website.
Old 22 April 2021, 04:25 AM   #13
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
It seems there is no limit to the groveling people will do for the opportunity to have some SA suggest they might get on a list (sic) to possibly be considered for the privilege purchasing a watch at some indeterminate time in the future.

And so much of this self deprecating behavior is supported and reinforced by countless posters on this website.
Great post!
Old 22 April 2021, 04:27 AM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

my AD is great. I ask. I get within a reasonable amount of time. My Rolex requests have all been fulfilled. No "begging" as you put it
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:27 AM   #15
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
That’s the biggest misconception in WIS Ville.

The people who buy all the “overpriced” jewelry and “unwanted” watches....well...the cost of the jewelry is of absolutely no concern to them and they actually WANT other watches!

These buyers are exactly what the AD wants and needs. They will always be the focus due to their organic spending and voracious appetite for multiple products the AD carries. The one and done WIS doesn’t stand a chance.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:28 AM   #16
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post

Well said
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:30 AM   #17
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:

What a load of crap. Blaming the customer because he or she doesn't conform to some mysterious code of behavior that qualifies one to own a f'ing watch?? That AD's shelves are empty and Grey dealers shelves are full is not due to individuals flipping their watches.
Old 22 April 2021, 04:32 AM   #18
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I am lucky to prefer what were lesser appreciated pieces and to have picked them up before the herd trampled all things Rolex.
Im with you on this! There are lesser appreciated Rolex'e still to be found and luckily lots of sheep don't have them in their sights because they only follow the hype watches....
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:34 AM   #19
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

You just need to say the watch is for a special retirement / fathers birthday / wedding gift - that seems to have worked in here for a number of people..
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:38 AM   #20
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
These are luxury items, and if they choose not to sell to me, that’s ok! My only point is, I’m not interested in working on a relationship to buy luxury.
I get that. Personally, I don’t mind building a relationship but I do draw the line at buying things I don’t want or need just to be considered for what I want.

I believe the definition of luxury is changing because of the way the industry is operating. Luxury is just not about price tag anymore. It’s turning to exclusivity. Rolex, AP, PP, RM, and now even ALS are shifting that way. Heck, Ferrari even does it to some extent. I’m sure soon those $1,200 entry level LV bags will become the “sub” of the purse industry.

Do I necessarily agree with it? No. But at the end of the day there’s only so much supply and having money readily available to spend won’t change that
Old 22 April 2021, 04:41 AM   #21
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:

LOL. No. No they do not. Your saying this 1000 times doesn’t make it true.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:47 AM   #22
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I like being friendly to people so don’t mind telling AD staff how excited I’d be if they could get me X model from Rolex. I’m realistic and don’t feel that I need to be bowed to as a customer. In the OP’s words, it’s ok!
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:47 AM   #23
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
All these posts about “ADs playing games” are preposterous.

What are the ADs supposed to do? They’re probably as frustrated as we are - they just don’t get enough inventory from Rolex. You get one coveted watch in, and have 50 people interested - of course they’re going to use it as a carrot to make people buy other stuff. They (ADs) do have a self preservation instinct after all, and have to look out after their own business first and foremost.

I bet they would love Rolex to increase supply ten-fold, they do make money from each sale after all, not from putting people “on the list”. But that’s not going to happen,

People bitching at ADs here are really being ridiculous - being able to buy a Rolex (or any other luxury good) is not a human right. If you’re frustrated then move on.
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:49 AM   #24
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
All these posts about “ADs playing games” are preposterous.

What are the ADs supposed to do? They’re probably as frustrated as we are - they just don’t get enough inventory from Rolex. You get one coveted watch in, and have 50 people interested - of course they’re going to use it as a carrot to make people buy other stuff. They (ADs) do have a self preservation instinct after all, and have to look out after their own business first and foremost.

I bet they would love Rolex to increase supply ten-fold, they do make money from each sale after all, not from putting people “on the list”. But that’s not going to happen,

People bitching at ADs here are really being ridiculous - being able to buy a Rolex (or any other luxury good) is not a human right. If you’re frustrated then move on.
I would just put a * and say AD’s that are not peddling hot models out the back door to known grey dealers
Old 22 April 2021, 04:50 AM   #25
Laz81
"TRF" Member

I'll buy from grey or AD.. depending on who has the watch when I want it.. I hate waiitng lol.
The AD did get my wife's rolex 2 weeks ago. But for mine i had to go grey
Laz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:56 AM   #26
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANTK View Post
I would just put a * and say AD’s that are not peddling hot models out the back door to known grey dealers
That’s a fair point, although I don’t know how widespread that practice really is. I don’t think that guys like Wempe, Tourneau, London, etc. can afford to pull that s**t, but the smaller guys...

That’s probably why Rolex is culling the smaller ADs, who may not always play by the rules.
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:59 AM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex AD EXPERIENCE—- it’s ok!!!

I just got home from running a few errands. They took me past my nearby AD so I dropped in to say hello to all the folks I know. They are getting 15-20 calls a day seeking different professional models.

While I was there one call came in and wanted a sales associate to rattle off every model in the sparsely populated display case. This tends to shape some despair among the callers and the sales reps as well - they are there to sell, not to disappoint. So no game players at my nearby AD.

As for purchase history, over 10 years I’ve purchased perhaps $50K in presents but no watches. So I’ll be waiting out the demand spike and the supply dip. Speaking of supply, since January they’ve had one-half the number of incoming Rolex models but about the same number of Tudors. Go figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:08 AM   #28
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
That’s a fair point, although I don’t know how widespread that practice really is. I don’t think that guys like Wempe, Tourneau, London, etc. can afford to pull that s**t, but the smaller guys...

That’s probably why Rolex is culling the smaller ADs, who may not always play by the rules.
I think it’s 50/50. I honestly feel like it’s more prevalent in larger markets. The common denominator is all the greys are located in major markets. Probably not at the big box stores though. I feel the cull is so Rolex can send the hot models to the bigger markets. No sense in leaving the little ADs a bunch of Day Dates sitting in the case for months when they could just as easily offload those elsewhere. Rolex probably predicted a shift towards the PM models and likely started culling ADs for that reason
Old 22 April 2021, 05:19 AM   #29
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

huh? don't sell yourself short and beg. Get what you want and don't brown nose
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 05:27 AM   #30
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I haven't seen anyone here describe their interactions as "begging"
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote