The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2021, 08:04 AM   #61
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
1. Someone has been following Rolex for 12 years and hasn't been offered a single Rolex from an AD??? There is more to the story there. Let's let the OP explain.

2. Yes, the good ADs know how to vet and qualify their prospects to ensure they are choosing the best long-term customers. Are they perfect? No. Are they right 100% of the time? Of course not.

3. I didn't mention dress codes or specific criteria... but ADs are generally pretty good at determining whether they want to offer a particular piece to a customer based on all available information. If you're not chosen, there's a reason. It's not a customer's "fault" per se... it's just the how the cookie crumbles.

#teamRolexAD
Dress codes?? Bingo, that must be it! LOL. I definitely need help in that area! But you got me thinking... if I invite them to my manhattan apartment, they will probably start kissing my a—-!!! LOLOLOL.

Everyone stay positive! These are luxury items, my wife and kids are healthy, so I’m HAPPY!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:46 AM   #62
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Daytona UK View Post
You are right, nobody begs , they just buy overpriced jewellery from the AD, unwanted watches and gifts for the SA hoping for a relationship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:53 AM   #63
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
I haven't seen anyone here describe their interactions as "begging"

Don’t ruin it for them. The ‘begging’ narrative makes them feel really good about themselves.

As does the ‘ADs supply greys enmasse’ theory.

I’ve stopped bothering engaging directly cos it’s a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:21 AM   #64
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Don’t ruin it for them. The ‘begging’ narrative makes them feel really good about themselves.

As does the ‘ADs supply greys enmasse’ theory.

I’ve stopped bothering engaging directly cos it’s a waste of time.
These threads are entertaining... and the more participation, the better. So, please continue to chime in.

Even when the premises are outrageous and provocative, it still makes for a riveting discussion.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:26 AM   #65
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
These threads are entertaining... and the more participation, the better. So, please continue to chime in.

Even when the premises are outrageous and provocative, it still makes for a riveting discussion.

I would if I felt logic could make any headway, but logic gets met with delusion so there’s really not much debate happening!

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:43 AM   #66
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Never begged and never paid over MSRP and never got a package deal.

I’ve actually recently turned down a SD43 and the Yachmaster on Oysterflex. That’s how the AD knows I am only buying what I plan on wearing and not flipping watches.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:57 AM   #67
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Quote:
Nobody here begs. ADs have a responsibility to vet, qualify, and background check prospective customers to try to prevent flippers from obtaining great Rolex watches. That's a positive thing!

If you haven't been offered a single Rolex by an AD, the issue is most likely with you or your approach.
No way! No decent law abiding citizen should need a background check to buy a..... Oh wait... sorry wrong forum. I thought it stood for National Rolex Association.
Old 22 April 2021, 12:29 PM   #68
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Nobody here begs. ADs have a responsibility to vet, qualify, and background check prospective customers to try to prevent flippers from obtaining great Rolex watches. That's a positive thing!
Surely, you jest!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 12:59 PM   #69
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I never played any games with my AD. I'm not into jewelry and never even looked at any. He's gotten me every Rolex I've wanted (seven) and then some that I traded back in. I was offered and bought my Blnr without showing any interest in it. At the time I was looking for a 16710 which he also came up with afterwards as the Blnr didn't cure that itch. I was never a Daytona fan and did turn one down after trying it on, I get the attraction but it's just not me and I would never lose our trust by flipping, I make my money by minding to my own business as he does his.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:43 PM   #70
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Maybe its me... lol. I just can’t BEG for a luxury item. I will never get one at retail, and that’s ok! How does everyone else feel about it?? Let’s have some positive opinions!

I don’t think that some ADs require their customers to beg them but rather they ask them for bundling. So, in my case, I’m like you, NO begging and NO bundling but also I say NO to over retail price tags unless I’m looking a discontinued model.
Fortunately, not all ADs play dirty bundling games.

Old 22 April 2021, 03:01 PM   #71
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
You are right, nobody begs , they just buy overpriced jewellery from the AD, unwanted watches and gifts for the SA hoping for a relationship
Never had to do any of that.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:28 PM   #72
jaxex
Banned

Well, I do say I literally bugged my AD years back(over a decade now), but I am over that point now.
jaxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:37 PM   #73
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
I wonder if people who insist they do not beg or grovel also regularly drop in with their Breitling or IWC ADs for pleasant chats.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:41 PM   #74
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You haven't seen me in the AP boutique...
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:01 PM   #75
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I’m not beating down anyone’s door to take my money and I’m not paying a dime over MSRP. I have been in the game far too long and Rolex is getting cocky. They can make their money and won’t miss mine, but it does hit the reputation of the brand and taints the image. There is something absurd and laughable about a lux brand, selling items no one needs and people falling all over themselves throwing money to have the hottest watch so they can post to their instabooks. The current state of things has to be amusing to the higher ups at Rolex who are probably placing bets about just how much money people will spend for their products that are made for a fraction of the MSRP let alone the tiny fraction of gray prices. Have at it folks lol. It’s like the lux market eating itself.

Secondly, There is not a 6 digit reference that I am interested in due to the bling factor on them all now and secondly far too many great watches out there. For the only Rolex folks, I feel for them, but for watch people
In general like myself the current state of things is a non-issue.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:03 PM   #76
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Well IMHO most of this so called AD relationship stuff posted on the many watch forum are more fantasy island than anything.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:23 PM   #77
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:25 PM   #78
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well IMHO most of this so called AD relationship stuff posted on the many watch forum are more fantasy island than anything.
Exactly. It’s purely a business transaction/relationship. You buy more they sell you more. That’s it.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:27 PM   #79
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issues with a relationship. No begging as I understand the current market and will act accordingly. I do love our Trusted Sellers.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:34 PM   #80
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
Quote:
Seriously?? Someone who has been a member here for 12 years with 2,800 posts has never been offered a nice Rolex from their AD?? That's the real load of crap!

AD shelves are empty because demand exceeds supply AND desirable models aren't displayed in cases anymore!!!! Not even debatable.
Demand > Supply... hmmm let me think now, do we all think that Rolex is not in control of Supply? I'm pretty sure they have their finger on the pulse of Supply. So then, the above assertion seems quite ignorant if you accept that. Or are we to naively believe that Rolex are not in control of Supply?

Come on folks... wake up!

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:22 AM   #81
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGage7962 View Post
Demand > Supply... hmmm let me think now, do we all think that Rolex is not in control of Supply? I'm pretty sure they have their finger on the pulse of Supply. So then, the above assertion seems quite ignorant if you accept that. Or are we to naively believe that Rolex are not in control of Supply?

Come on folks... wake up!
Been discussed many times. Rolex can’t just turn a knob and double production. To significantly increase supply, Rolex would have to invest several billion over many years to boost production capacity. Not sure why they would do that — as they are the market share leader in a perilous market. Better to increase the proportion of PM and higher margin products, incrementally raise prices, and keep supply well under demand with existing infrastructure.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:24 AM   #82
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Been discussed many times. Rolex can’t just turn a knob and double production. To significantly increase supply, Rolex would have to invest several billion over many years to boost production capacity. Not sure why they would do that — as they are the market share leader in a perilous market. Better to increase the proportion of PM and higher margin products, incrementally raise prices, and keep supply well under demand with existing infrastructure.
Now that makes sense !!
Old 23 April 2021, 07:17 AM   #83
Xerxes77
Banned

I have a Blue SkyDweller and a BLRO....one per year without one cent spend to other thing and without any history.....believe me the honest AD exist.....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 07:38 AM   #84
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you haven't been offered a single Rolex by an AD, the issue is most likely with you or your approach.
Lol, I beg
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 07:49 AM   #85
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
What a load of crap. Blaming the customer because he or she doesn't conform to some mysterious code of behavior that qualifies one to own a f'ing watch?? That AD's shelves are empty and Grey dealers shelves are full is not due to individuals flipping their watches.
THIS!!!!!

Bravo for the honesty!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 02:27 AM   #86
arindamclt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You must be out of your mind or an AD yourself to identify that the problem is with the poster.
arindamclt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 02:34 AM   #87
Bingofrank
"TRF" Member

Never had a good sales experience at at Rolex AD tbh. Even if they turn nice when they realise you have money they are often twats before hand or when you come in. Contrast with Cartier who have always been nice even on the phone. This was true before the recent rush as well.

I had a good relationship with my last AD but there were a couple of aholes even there.

Moved house now and can’t be bothered with a new one. Just gonna go back to the internet once the prices drop back to MSRP or there abouts. Don’t really get anything out of buying in person rather than online.
Bingofrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 02:43 AM   #88
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Same - begging is degrading, whether it’s for a crust of bread or for a hot Rolex. I don’t need to flex a Panda I had to grovel for. I’ll wait until the stock hoarded by the greys are liquidated in a few months or a year. By then the AD will have watches in the trays again.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 02:58 AM   #89
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I ask .
I wait .

I get it: Great
I don't get it : Too bad

It's very simple, really .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 03:09 AM   #90
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
These are luxury items, and if they choose not to sell to me, that’s ok! My only point is, I’m not interested in working on a relationship to buy luxury.
I agree completely with you. I think about it often that I am lucky to be able to get watches and if I didn't have the relationships, I'd not do the work if it wasn't fairly easy.

Which watch would you be wanting anyways?