The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Edfrozen
"TRF" Member

Why trash Rolex?

I’ve read so many posts about “perceived value” and I just had to put my 2 cents in .
After wearing many watch brands , when it comes down to the most comfortable, user friendly watch , Rolex consistently comes out on top for me .
When I put on a Rolex watch, unlike any other I have ever owned or worn , it feels like it belongs on and is a part of my wrist
That simple to me.
Edfrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:18 PM   #2
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Many people are just frustrated they can’t buy the watch/es they want at an AD at MSRP.

The hate quickly turns to love if they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:20 PM   #3
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Why trash Rolex and the great ADs who help us build our wonderful collections?

Most respected and valuable watch brand in the world.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:22 PM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edfrozen View Post
I’ve read so many posts about “perceived value” and I just had to put my 2 cents in .
After wearing many watch brands , when it comes down to the most comfortable, user friendly watch , Rolex consistently comes out on top for me .
When I put on a Rolex watch, unlike any other I have ever owned or worn , it feels like it belongs on and is a part of my wrist
That simple to me.
I agree. The whole "UX" thing. I've tried on a lot of other watches since I got my sub. And none of the others seem to quite do it as well.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Computantis
"TRF" Member

Why trash Rolex?

I’m sure a fair amount of people are upset at the current market prices, along with long wait times at ADs. The barrier-to-entry is definitely high up there now with PP, AP, etc.

Rolex is one of the most reputable brands in wristwatch history is definitely going to have some nay-sayers. :LOL:
Computantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:34 PM   #6
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
People’s nature to complain about something. Rolex is a great brand. Enjoy and filter our the noise from complainers.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:34 PM   #7
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

its the velvet rope..... not everyone will be able to get past the bouncer.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 01:39 PM   #8
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
I would have to agree! Fantastic and comfortable pieces!
Old 22 April 2021, 01:42 PM   #9
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Many people are just frustrated they can’t buy the watch/es they want at an AD at MSRP.

The hate quickly turns to love if they could.

Things will soon change! Rolex’s new releases will be sitting on the AD’s shelves collecting dust for no one to buy. There will be an abundant supply of 36mm DJ palm frond dials and two tone “Explorers”. Well at least the “new” Explorer II looks exactly like the old one.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 02:00 PM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Things will soon change! Rolex’s new releases will be sitting on the AD’s shelves collecting dust for no one to buy. There will be an abundant supply of 36mm DJ palm frond dials and two tone “Explorers”. Well at least the “new” Explorer II looks exactly like the old one.
I know where you're coming from, but I don't think that you're correct in that prediction.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I love Rolex and for me the one I wanted was 100% worth full market value. They arguably make one of the most iconic products in recorded history and the expertise and passion that goes into creating their products is something really special, as is the incredible history behind the watch and the overall brand.

I don't necessarily love the current state of their distribution channels, and it isn't exactly a great time for someone new to Rolex who is looking to purchase a single watch through a direct channel. But that is what it is, and hopefully things will eventually improve on that front.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 02:18 PM   #12
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining about something.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
The SS models are very light & comfortable.
Plus they’re built like a tank. Makes it easier for daily use since they can take a lot of beatings. Definitely the best brand to be.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:53 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono

I don’t think being critical about Rolex value is anything new or close to trashing. If anything it’s warranted since Rolex is now solidly an asset class with a very passionate grass roots following competing with new buyers and markets.

But millions of people complain about manufacturers/producers while still loving the product/service all the time.

Yours truly included.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:54 PM   #15
Master_Grogu
Banned

Just like Apple. You have plenty of people saying things like « MacBook pros are overpriced I’d rather buy an Asus or Acer! ».

But these never experienced Apple. They don’t even know the displays are 16:10 (much better to work with), the enormous and top in class trackpad, or the fact any of the 4 USB-C port can charge the battery, making fiddling with a single sided, round and exclusive to the laptop charger, a thing of the last.

Basically Apple MacBook Pro are bashed by people who never owned one, and are oblivious to their much superior experience.

Same with Rolex. Best tactile bezel rotation, no need to pay a random watch shop to hammer the pins to adjust your watch in summer, no ugly twin trigger clasp that sometimes opens because you put too much inward force with your wrist, comfort and readability thanks to chromalight.

Not the best on paper, but as said before the best user experience.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 04:59 PM   #16
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

I love Rolex and everything that’s going on with the brand only adds to its allure.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:04 PM   #17
kanderson1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: with mother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Some people aren’t happy unless they’re complaining about something.

are you complaining about people complaining?

I agree that Rolex can be a hard brand to get into, but very rewarding when you do. Sometimes it is the subtle things that make all the difference.
kanderson1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:09 PM   #18
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

I don’t think being critical about Rolex value is anything new or close to trashing. If anything it’s warranted since Rolex is now solidly an asset class with a very passionate grass roots following competing with new buyers and markets.

But millions of people complain about manufacturers/producers while still loving the product/service all the time.

Yours truly included.
Be careful Chewy.

You almost made sense.....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 08:31 PM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Since getting one is difficult, venting is natural. Love my small Rolex collection, if I never get another, I’m ok with it.
Old 22 April 2021, 08:33 PM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Since getting one is difficult, venting is natural. Love my small Rolex collection, if I never get another, I’m ok with it.
+1
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:08 PM   #21
whited3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Well that's a good point about already having a collection. I'm also happy if I never get another. But, I can't imagine having the same passion for the brand and hobby now sans collection... No thanks! Different ballgame all together
whited3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:13 PM   #22
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Old 22 April 2021, 09:17 PM   #23
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

No need to trash them, very charming and many well-balanced watches, IMO (especially 5-digits). On the other hand, always coming out on top? Not really.
Old 22 April 2021, 09:21 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Rolex is a great brand and fun to own and wear. That is usually where I leave it. No getting made at AD's or Trusted Sellers I just buy, own and wear what I want and can afford. I do get a laugh sometimes out of the amount of emotion some people put into a watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 09:23 PM   #25
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
They make great watches overall but they also make some decisions people don’t like and that’s ok.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:11 PM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It’s been like this with Rolex for maybe 2 decades. What’s new now is velvet rope buying image and the vapid idiots it attracts to “feel” exclusive for wearing a Rolex. The brand is heavily overhyped necessarily turning off the enthusiast and exciting the social media posers desperately trying to look affluent. Rolex being a nice enough factory made watch being trapped in the middle as a innocent chess piece used for keeping score. Rolex image and demographic goes through cycles like the yuppies of the 80’s acquiring Rolex watches as part of their uniform. Later looked at as a negative image and the current image of commodity traders and social media posers will go down with the same negative stereotypes.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:20 PM   #27
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It’s been like this with Rolex for maybe 2 decades. What’s new now is velvet rope buying image and the vapid idiots it attracts to “feel” exclusive for wearing a Rolex. The brand is heavily overhyped necessarily turning off he enthusiast and exciting the social media posers desperately trying to look affluent. Rolex being a nice enough factory made watch being trapped in the middle as a innocent chess piece used for keeping score.
Well said.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:28 PM   #28
Becweb
Banned

I think one should not generalize. My brother has been a macbook lover but is switching back to windows laptops so it really depends.
Rolex makes great watches but the frustration is coming out from people who would like to get into the brand, whatever the reason is. You do have plenty of people who were in their early 20s for instance, that couldn't afford a luxury watch at the time (before the craziness happened), but have been saving for some time, and are now ready to make their first purchase. It would be great if they could purchase what they really want and that fits their lifestyle (professional models mostly probably). That's an example of a fraction of potential new customers who would like to step into Rolex but simply can't due to the current state of affairs of the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
Just like Apple. You have plenty of people saying things like « MacBook pros are overpriced I’d rather buy an Asus or Acer! ».

But these never experienced Apple. They don’t even know the displays are 16:10 (much better to work with), the enormous and top in class trackpad, or the fact any of the 4 USB-C port can charge the battery, making fiddling with a single sided, round and exclusive to the laptop charger, a thing of the last.

Basically Apple MacBook Pro are bashed by people who never owned one, and are oblivious to their much superior experience.

Same with Rolex. Best tactile bezel rotation, no need to pay a random watch shop to hammer the pins to adjust your watch in summer, no ugly twin trigger clasp that sometimes opens because you put too much inward force with your wrist, comfort and readability thanks to chromalight.

Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:45 PM   #29
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Oh, it's just not Rolex that gets trashed around here, these days.

On the Rolex Forum.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 10:45 PM   #30
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post

I agree with your analogy.

My better half, for the longest time, sneered at my iPhone and my affinity for them.

Two years ago when her old Samsung died I bought her an iPhone, assuring her I would get her a Samsung if she was ever displeased with the new iPhone. By now, she raves about her iPhone and has managed to also convert her parents to iPhones.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote