The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 April 2021, 11:06 PM   #31
kearez
"TRF" Member

Rolex have become an asset, with almost all professional SS model trading over retail. It’s attracted a new type of customer to just wants to profit just like a stock trade. Before you had the WIS who understood Rolex. The quality of the product and engineering/design. Then you had the girl/guy who decides I’m going to get a nice expensive watch. They ask around in the office, Google it and end up with Rolex is the resounding top choice.

Now with three groups fighting for the same watch creates a bottle neck. Frustrating for us who are WIS. I know my AD has said they are doing their best to get hot watches to there WIS, out of the hands of the flippers.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2021, 11:06 PM   #32
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
I think one should not generalize. My brother has been a macbook lover but is switching back to windows laptops so it really depends.
Rolex makes great watches but the frustration is coming out from people who would like to get into the brand, whatever the reason is. You do have plenty of people who were in their early 20s for instance, that couldn't afford a luxury watch at the time (before the craziness happened), but have been saving for some time, and are now ready to make their first purchase. It would be great if they could purchase what they really want and that fits their lifestyle (professional models mostly probably). That's an example of a fraction of potential new customers who would like to step into Rolex but simply can't due to the current state of affairs of the market.
This makes absolutely no sense. So people can't afford things; blaming Rolex is the only conclusion you reached?

I really would love to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom but no matter how I save I can't afford one, should I blame Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd. for my inability to afford one? Perhaps they should have made them Phantoms as many and as affordable as the BMW 330's so that I can afford one?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #33
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Meh this is the world of luxury good right now. Its fueled with cheap money, governments flooding the streets with money and social media.
I think 99% of people that want one soooo bad are people who want it because A:theres an upside B:they are hard to get C:to show off on social media. Where were all these buyers when Rolex was available in the case? Rolex hasn't cut production, just the hype has grown.
Omega has cases full of watches yet nobody is like "well I cant get a sub so I'll get an almost equally good and reliable watch from Omega".
I own a few Patek's yet I'm not waiting for the phone to ring on a green 5711.
If you have a wife who likes handbags try and get your hands on desirable Chanel and Hermes bags at MSRP, no different. I've owned both Ferrari and Lamborghini yet don't get calls for the limited pieces... its the way life is right now. I still remember when the Ferrari dealer asked if I wanted a 458 speciale, and Porsche asked if I wanted an RS4.0... those days are gone.... until the economy tanks
The uber high end stuff will always have a market since the ultra wealthy will always be ultra wealthy. Its when the stock market layer tanks like 08 that the market will flood with the watches between 10-100k
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 03:16 AM   #34
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

I don’t think being critical about Rolex value is anything new or close to trashing. If anything it’s warranted since Rolex is now solidly an asset class with a very passionate grass roots following competing with new buyers and markets.

But millions of people complain about manufacturers/producers while still loving the product/service all the time.

Yours truly included.
You put this to words better than me. You can love the product they make and the heritage behind it, but dislike certain aspects of how the company or their distributors (ADs) operate.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 03:26 AM   #35
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Why trash Rolex and the great ADs who help us build our wonderful collections?

Most respected and valuable watch brand in the world.
Exactly.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 03:40 AM   #36
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Those of us who have owned Rolex for quite some time can attest that not long ago, you could get a popular SS sports model at a discount and many ADs had more than one in their display window. As recent as 2017, I remember seeing an AD with two BLNR and a Hulk and several other "regular" SS sports watches available to anyone willing to swipe their credit card.

Those of us who don't chase the social media fad and are not flippers, there is not a lot to complain about, except that it is getting harder for ADs to distinguish genuine watch people from a newbie who is just chasing after the hot watch so he can post it on IG and then flip it for a profit.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #37
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. So people can't afford things; blaming Rolex is the only conclusion you reached?

I really would love to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom but no matter how I save I can't afford one, should I blame Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd. for my inability to afford one? Perhaps they should have made them Phantoms as many and as affordable as the BMW 330's so that I can afford one?

Problem is the gap to a rolls Royce and a 3 series is far, far wider than the gap from Rolex to Omega for example. But I do agree with the sentiment about affordability to an extent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 05:46 AM   #38
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Those of us who have owned Rolex for quite some time can attest that not long ago, you could get a popular SS sports model at a discount and many ADs had more than one in their display window. As recent as 2017, I remember seeing an AD with two BLNR and a Hulk and several other "regular" SS sports watches available to anyone willing to swipe their credit card.

Those of us who don't chase the social media fad and are not flippers, there is not a lot to complain about, except that it is getting harder for ADs to distinguish genuine watch people from a newbie who is just chasing after the hot watch so he can post it on IG and then flip it for a profit.
^ this^
Rolex make fine watches. I've had 3, still have 1. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with the watches. They're ostensibly the same now, as they were 5 years ago.
And because it's the same product, some of us who prior to 2017, simply walked into an AD and exchanged money for goods, find hilarity in the lengths people will go to breathlessly pleasure an AD for a long shot at getting a "watch".

That my Explorer 2, bought in 2017 from a grey for $5K, is now priced at $13K or a $6K ND Sub is $12k because "social media", that's just funny. If someone wants a steel Daytona so badly, they'll pay over $30k to have one, that's even funnier.
Old 23 April 2021, 05:51 AM   #39
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
30 + years buying watches and trying just about every brand out there.. Always come back to Rolex. It is now the only watch I wear. I love the design, comfort and durability. No other brand will do for me but happy for those who feel differently!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:01 AM   #40
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post

well, Rolex are no where near the Roll's of the watch world. Not in quality, not even produced in particularly limited numbers.

Rolex is your Lexus- luxurious, reliable, but a bit dull and safe.
If you saved a $100k to buy a nice LS, but then the Lexus dealer said he could put you on the list and bump you up if you bought 7 Corollas, then you'd be WTF ?
And then you went to the used car dealer and a low milage one was $250K, you would again be WTF ?
And you might well be mad at Lexus for not getting a handle on things.

A sane person might then say for $250K I'll get a Bentley or a used Rolls, or an Audi S8 AND a Porsche 911, rather than put up with that bollocks- but that logic doesn't apply, apparently, in the watch world...
Old 23 April 2021, 06:06 AM   #41
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Why trash Rolex?
You're right. I can't think of one reason at all.
Zero complaints.
Old 23 April 2021, 06:11 AM   #42
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
well, Rolex are no where near the Roll's of the watch world. Not in quality, not even produced in particularly limited numbers.

Rolex is your Lexus- luxurious, reliable, but a bit dull and safe.
If you saved a $100k to buy a nice LS, but then the Lexus dealer said he could put you on the list and bump you up if you bought 7 Corollas, then you'd be WTF ?
And then you went to the used car dealer and a low milage one was $250K, you would again be WTF ?
And you might well be mad at Lexus for not getting a handle on things.

A sane person might then say for $250K I'll get a Bentley or a used Rolls, or an Audi S8 AND a Porsche 911, rather than put up with that bollocks- but that logic doesn't apply, apparently, in the watch world...
EXACTLY!!! Rolex at SRP is amazing but paying Rolls Royce prices for a Lexus makes no sense. Comparing Rolls Royce quality and exclusiveness to Lexus also makes no sense.

I have no issue with Rolex as a brand and admire them greatly!
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:43 AM   #43
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Rolex have become an asset, with almost all professional SS model trading over retail. It’s attracted a new type of customer to just wants to profit just like a stock trade. Before you had the WIS who understood Rolex. The quality of the product and engineering/design. Then you had the girl/guy who decides I’m going to get a nice expensive watch. They ask around in the office, Google it and end up with Rolex is the resounding top choice.

Now with three groups fighting for the same watch creates a bottle neck. Frustrating for us who are WIS. I know my AD has said they are doing their best to get hot watches to there WIS, out of the hands of the flippers.
Precisely.
Couldn't have said it better myself

The motivation to purchase a nice/high quality watch pre-dated the internet thing.
If one knew a thing or two about watches and knew who to ask regarding these matters. Inevitably it would come down to two common Swiss brands if one felt like one wanted to transcend above the Japanese offerings.
Between the common Swiss offerings, price was a major factor as a Rolex was considerably more expensive, so one had to really justify it to one's self to go down that path.
Investment considerations were never ever a part of the equation in that it was virtually inconceivable.

Now days, the whole scene has transcended that dynamic and gone completely off the planet, but I still only buy what I like.

I will admit though, I have one Rolex watch which "may be worth something" when I pass on and have advised my wife accordingly to keep it in mind if and when the time comes.
So even a ludite like myself has to acknowledge the current reality.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:48 AM   #44
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
30 + years buying watches and trying just about every brand out there.. Always come back to Rolex. It is now the only watch I wear. I love the design, comfort and durability. No other brand will do for me but happy for those who feel differently!
Agreed.
However there's so much more depth "to the brand" than the naked eye can fathom.
Years of ownership and a depth of experience has born this out.
For myself, it's been an interesting and deeply rewarding journey with Rolex.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 06:50 AM   #45
asiparks
"TRF" Member

I'll also add, and perhaps this is more a reflection on some current owners- sorry- if I see someone wearing a Daytona, my thoughts aren't:
"Whoa ! he must be an awesome guy to have that flex/money, AD relationship" no matter how hard the Instagramming.
It's a guy who may have paid $12K or $30K for a nice, but a bit predictable choice.

If I see someone wearing a VC Overseas chrono, Glashutte Original, Lange, IWC or Grand Seiko or something similarly left of field, I think:
"Whoa! that guy made a thoughtful interesting choice in wrist wear-he's probably a watch guy-that's awesome"
and not:
"Poor guy, zero flex- he had to settle"
Old 23 April 2021, 08:33 AM   #46
jaxex
Banned

Most trashing comes from those genius wannabes that believe that they can think outside the box.
jaxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 08:38 AM   #47
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
My Rolex is my most comfortable watch. GADA. There’s just too much social media fueled hype and the flippers are making money, so it just feeds the cycle. When will it stop? Maybe. Never? Is this the new normal?
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 12:57 AM   #48
javier
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=RFC;11408618]Things will soon change! Rolex’s new releases will be sitting on the AD’s shelves collecting dust for no one to buy. There will be an abundant supply of 36mm DJ palm frond dials and two tone “Explorers”. Well at least the “new” Explorer II looks exactly like the old one.[/QUO

Really ?
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:29 AM   #49
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure I hear anyone really trashing Rolex. It certainly gets an abundance of love on the TRF. As far as I can read, most of the frustration comes from a) not being able to get the new models that are desired (for a number of reasons) and/or b) the perception portrayed by some that Rolex as a manufactured product is somehow inherently superior to other brands. Varying level so frustration or difference of opinion, but I really don't see Rolex getting trashed. It is really hard to dispute that Rolex makes excellent products and has a genius business plan. Everyone wear in good health
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote