The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 March 2010, 10:43 AM   #1
TSKDUS

How to spot a fake submariner bezel?

Hi TRF,

A question has been on my mind for a while. A search on ebay for Rolex Submariner bezels easily throws up more than 100 results on any 1 day. I am almost certain a majority of these are fakes but I have never been able to tell.

Can any expert out there share on:-

a. How do you tell a vintage bezel from a current bezel (non-ceramic version)?
b. what are the tell-tale signs of a fake bezel? Or a fake pearl (especially a vintage one that no longer holds a "charge"). For example, how can you tell for something like this:
Bezel1.jpg

Rolex 2.jpg

Rolex 3.jpg

Will love to hear the views out there.

Cheers
TSKDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Green Sub

I am looking forward to good replies on this post too. I have an LV and one day might like to add a genuine black bezel to it. How do we tell the real from the fake?

Mods, please keep this post alive.
Green Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 04:51 PM   #3
mixologis03
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDDS / 16610
On most inserts, the pearl is the biggest indicator. The pearl, from an angle, looks like it goes from edge to edge, but the real white pearl (a dot of luminous paste) is covered/encapsulated by a clear cover. It's very small and hard to see this detail, but most fake bezels will be just a dot of lume pasta on a stainless steel backing, with varying degrees of fill and no clear cover. Other things to watch out for is the correct and accurate spacing between numbers on the insert vs. dial position (some fake bezel inserts are known not to align properly). Printing sometimes is not as crisp and colored incorrectly compared to the genuine. Keep in mind there's a couple high-end aftermarket part suppliers who manufacture the pearls and inserts to almost-genuine specs (and would be a reasonable choice under special circumstances).
mixologis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
What model sub is that insert from? Blue would suggest a 16613, but then the font colour should be gold/yellow.

I find the easiest way is to compare with a known good insert. There are plenty of sources for pics of real watches. Compare the font, pearl etc. Often the pearl is a giveaway for various reasons.

I am not particularly happy with the "5" on the insert you have shown, the top of the "4" also a little broad IMO, where is it from?
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 09:39 PM   #5
neillfrith
"TRF" Member

I think the only sure-fire way to make sure it is genuine is to buy from either an AD or a certified watch maker with a parts account. May cost a few $ more than ebay but you know you haven't been done over.
neillfrith is offline   Reply With Quote