The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 April 2024, 09:22 PM   #1
OTH
"TRF" Member

Views on refurbished 1655

Hi all

I have been in the market for 1655 for regular wear.

I have stumbled across a 1980 1655 that has had significant RSC refurbishment, including a new bracelet, bezel and hands.

I had been searching for a good condition original, but I am undecided if I like the idea of a watch that is refurbished for another 40 years of enjoyment, or if this piece has lost some of its charm. This is a piece I intend to keep forever. I would welcome views on this example.

I unfortunately can’t post a link as I do not have enough posts. Please could a member share a link to the Swiss Link site for photos - it is the first link that comes up after googling ‘Swiss Link UK 1655’.

Thanks
OTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 10:02 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Please post photos using the Go Advanced and Manage Attachments features. You will just need to size the photos appropriately.

But ultimately, it's going to be your choice regarding a watch with original vs service parts. These questions come up all the time and nobody can choose for you. In this forum, most people prefer original watches, but there are always a few who like the service watches. There's no question that service parts do reduce the collectible value.
Old 9 April 2024, 12:38 AM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Original as possible for me is what it’s all about otherwise you might as well buy a new watch.
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 01:25 AM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Here's the watch folks

https://theswisslink.co.uk/watches/r...erviced-19000/

If the dial is original, it is not as bad as a service dial one. But not too great if both bezel and hands (very white of course) are service and the 78360 too. £19k is proper-toppy imho.

But there are many say 5513, 1675, 1680 etc etc floating about with service hands and inserts that don't get marked down too much by collectors if the dial, mid-case, caseback are original.

Few years ago someone else I know had 5513 that was run over and totally mullered except most of the calibre !

So, as a bit of an exercise, he had RSC fit everything new around the calibre - i.e. 4 million case, sterile (no yr/qtr) caseback, luminova swiss dial, hands, big crown/fresh tube, service plexi and a service 93150. The bill was circa £4500, and at the time the mkt value was also about £4500, and original matte MTR first were about £9000, so a halving of value.

Now I'd guess it's worth about £6k (to the right 'fresh vintage' buyer), and to keep the comparisons going.... an original matte MTRS first is about £12k or so now - so value is half still (but pool of interest potentially quite low)!
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:22 AM   #5
OTH
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the opinions all.
OTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 12:54 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Kibble watches have one in for a fair bit less if that helps
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 01:29 PM   #7
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

1655 seems to be priced quite attractively today vs a few years ago, so would go for as original as possible one as fits in your budget
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote