The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #31
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
Neither the OP nor I said that value retention or increase was the primary reason for purchasing the watch. That must be a preconception in your mind?
The OP titled the thread "Rolex Value Questions".

The OP post opened with:
"I have a question relating to the value of a Rolex DateJust 41mm."

The OP concluded the post with:
"Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?"

Perception not required. Just eyesight and an ability to read english.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:46 AM   #32
ssdt134
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Spend? OK, fair enough. But that doesn't seem to be the question.

"Value retention" implies either investment or an inability to fully commit to expenditure on something so frivolous without an assurance of some kind that the money can be clawed back. The best advice I could give anybody in that situation is not to buy a watch. Or at least, forget about the value and buy what they like - if they have the means.

Value retention or increase is likely with a Rolex and a nice bit of icing on the cake. But it shouldn't be a primary reason for buying.
I am most certainly not seeking to purchase a DJ as an investment, but rather as a pure admiration of the watch, as well as a way of working my way towards being able to purchase a Sub date from my AD. Though of course I do equally want to be careful with my money by taking consideration as to whether or not it is likely to loose significant value. However importantly I should mention I have no foreseen plans to resell this watch for monetary gain, I just like to be on the "safer" side of things, especially with a purchase this big
ssdt134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:58 AM   #33
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdt134 View Post
Hello all!

Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?

Thanks in advance
Tough question as no one here has a crystal ball, Rolex seem to be worth more than retail currently but that could change, I would bank on a 20% loss if needed to re sell and anything else would be a bonus.

Just my thoughts but if you never sell then all good but I understand your concerns given the cost
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:00 AM   #34
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

You are generally safe with Rolex. I am skeptical of the OP and the value concerns considering you own a Tudor that at best holds and a Tag that loses value.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:35 AM   #35
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
A watch is for wearing not investing, stocks and shares are for investing.

Rolex is hot property at the moment with demand outstripping supply by a big margin. If your AD will sell you a Rolex that you want then buy it, but buy it to wear not flip please.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:11 AM   #36
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
The OP titled the thread "Rolex Value Questions".

The OP post opened with:
"I have a question relating to the value of a Rolex DateJust 41mm."

The OP concluded the post with:
"Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?"

Perception not required. Just eyesight and an ability to read english.

His question may well be related to value but that doesn't mean that his main objective in buying the watch is value retention/increase.
That's you filling in the blanks to fit your narrative.

And as I said before, even if it were a major consideration for him then so what? Where do the watch snobs get off looking down on somebody who wants to enjoy a nice watch but considers resale value an important factor?

I don't understand this need for people to judge others and their decisions. Nobody is breaking the law here or doing something that is morally or ethically bankrupt.

Live and let live.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:22 AM   #37
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
stocks and shares are for investing.
Having a flutter, maybe. Investment? I'd go for property.
Old 9 December 2021, 09:49 AM   #38
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry, but since when has it been your god given right to decide whether someone has any business buying an expensive watch?? The pure arrogance and snobbery of your post is bewildering.

I'd say the op has his head screwed on right if he is being careful about how he spends his hard earned money.
If you want to take it as snobbery and arrogance, then that's absolutely fine - it's not how it was meant, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Personally I think to have one's head screwed on would mean only buying something expensive (especially something as unnecessary as a mechanical watch), as long as you have zero concerns about future value.

I personally wouldn't want even a seconds concern about the future value of any watch I own. I buy watches for my own enjoyment and I don't want any nagging thoughts of future value playing on my mind. Only once have I ever bought a watch that was clearly too expensive for me at the time, and yes I was concerned from day one about it's value. It spoiled the experience for me, so it was not something I'd ever do again. But hey, that's just me.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 02:37 PM   #39
WalterW
"TRF" Member

31 mm datejust yellow gold two tone diamond dial with diamond bezel. Trust me on this one
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 04:01 PM   #40
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Neither the OP nor I said that value retention or increase was the primary reason for purchasing the watch. That must be a preconception in your mind?

However even if it were so then so what? Who gives anyone the right to say how others should spend their money?

I'd use the analogy of buying a high value sports car. There are people who can easily afford to buy a £xk car however they don't fancy losing a shedload. So they will choose a 911 over a Mclaren, should they also be vilified and judged because they didn't just jump in buy the car they most fancied initially because they considered the financial aspect?

Why are you guys so judgemental?
New to social media? The OP asked a question of readers on a public forum, that gives everyone on the forum a right to opine about how he should spend his money. He asked. That’s how this works. Stick around a little longer and you’ll get the hang of it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 07:42 PM   #41
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am most certainly not seeking to purchase a DJ as an investment, but rather as a pure admiration of the watch,
I don't think you will be in the least disappointed. But if there is a doubt, there is no doubt. If your hind brain is trying to tell you something, you should listen. Or maybe you are just over thinking it?

Rolex is one of the brands which is most likely to retain value. Most other brands of watch will lose a third or more of their value when you walk out of the AD. Past that you can't predict the percentages. Isn't the likelihood of your DJ being worth at least what you paid for it enough?
Old 9 December 2021, 10:03 PM   #42
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
I am most certainly not seeking to purchase a DJ as an investment, but rather as a pure admiration of the watch, as well as a way of working my way towards being able to purchase a Sub date from my AD. Though of course I do equally want to be careful with my money by taking consideration as to whether or not it is likely to loose significant value. However importantly I should mention I have no foreseen plans to resell this watch for monetary gain, I just like to be on the "safer" side of things, especially with a purchase this big
If this is your reasoning….you’ll be fine. Enjoy you DJ when you get it!
I don’t see this ever losing “significant” value in the context of the $$$ you’ll be spending, especially if getting it at retail.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:22 PM   #43
nollie85
Banned

Pretty much ALL Rolex models these days hold values and even DJs are selling over retail now.

You'll be fine with if your major concern is value retention regarding a Rolex. Heck even 36mm sizes are retaining value quite solid.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 11:17 PM   #44
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Not sure how much value my input is going to have since so many have weighed in already. The general message I'd like to go give is: if the DJ41 is what you desire, then get the darn watch. It's a great pickup, and at worse, you'd lose a bit on MSRP. But does that small amount matter to do if it's what you really want? Or is value retention the primary goal here?

Advise on the subsequent Sub purchase, I highly recommend enjoying the DJ for a while first before inquiring/showing interest in the Sub at your AD. Not only will you build an appreciation for the DJ (which may also change your mind on the Sub), it'll show the AD that you appreciate timepieces and not constantly looking forward to the next acquisition.

It sounds to me like the DJ will be a significant watch purchase for you. A great thing! The last thing you want to do is throw away the honeymoon phase by thinking about your next watch.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:40 AM   #45
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

Most fun I’ve had with a watch in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote