The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #31
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I sold my AP 15400 to fund my Daytona. Much orefer the Daytona.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #32
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I had more scratches on my Daytona bezel than my 15400. Ended up selling both and purchased a 116500
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:24 PM   #33
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
If it’s a straight up trade, with no cash involved, I’d do it in a heartbeat. That being said, even if there’s some cash coming from you, I’d probably still do it as long as it’s within reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:40 PM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrwhitea1 View Post
Bought an 116520 Rolex Daytona in black. Fairly new 2014 in very good condition. I have always been a Rolex guy and thought it would be my grail watch. After wearing a Submariner all these years the Daytona looks small on the wrist with the silver bezel and I find myself scared to scratch it with all the chrome. I was considering a trade in on a recently discontinued Royal Oak white/silver dial. It seems more of a day to day watch and I don't like any of the new release (black or charcoal) AP's so it might be my last chance at obtaining a Royal Oak in new condition. Any thoughts on durability and watch comparison from the experts? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tough call, I dig the detail on the dials on the AP, but when I see the whole, I can’t get past the whole 70’s vibe of the watch. Then their is the toughness factor. If you are a desk diver like most and don’t appreciate the Daytona let it go. If you wear your watch in more active circumstances as I often do, Daytona can take what ever you can dish out.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:45 PM   #35
Jrwhitea1
"TRF" Member

Talking 3k upgrade.

Jrwhitea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #36
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I'd prefer the Rolex. But to each their own.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:20 PM   #37
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

From what I’ve read the RO will be a much more delicate piece then the Daytona. While I was recently in your shoes and considered the 116520, 116500 and the discontinued panda 39mm RO chrono. I settled on the 116500 as I felt like the ceramic bezel helped out with the durability and fit my smaller wrist better.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:22 PM   #38
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Trade in Daytona for Royal Oak

Definitely

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 01:58 PM   #39
Jrwhitea1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmacken View Post

Definitely

Great pic for reference thanks for sharing side by side is a tough call. Think that's why so many varying opinions, love both

Jrwhitea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:20 PM   #40
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Yes trade.
Old 27 January 2019, 02:28 PM   #41
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

You’re scared to scratch your Daytona? If you fart too loud it will scratch your AP. For that reason I couldnt wait to get rid of my 15400. I hated wearing it because they look horrible scratched. While the Daytona looks well worn when scratched, the Royal Oak looks miserable.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:50 PM   #42
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I'd stick with the Daytona. If you already worry about some scratches on the Daytona best forget an AP and go for a G-shock
Old 27 January 2019, 04:01 PM   #43
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
You’re scared to scratch your Daytona? If you fart too loud it will scratch your AP. For that reason I couldnt wait to get rid of my 15400. I hated wearing it because they look horrible scratched. While the Daytona looks well worn when scratched, the Royal Oak looks miserable.

I disagree...I’ve had mine for 14 yrs and it still looks great

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:23 PM   #44
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
i don't feel it for the aps but if you do, go for it!!!
+1.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 04:53 PM   #45
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Trade in Daytona for Royal Oak

This might be blasphemy but I think the Daytona looks great on you. I would source a ceramic bezel for it. No more worries about scratching the bezel. And when you send it into Rolex for service pop the original back on. Or when you go to sell it then it will have both bezels. Can’t hurt.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 09:57 PM   #46
Ni8R
"TRF" Member

How hard it it to get a real bezel?

Greg

Ni8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:50 AM   #47
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Try on the 15400st first. I actually traded my 520 for the same silver dial. At first it was great but after awhile the wrist presence got cumbersome on my wrist for a daily. I ended up selling the 15400st anyway. I now have a 116500 and a 15450st (37mm Royal oak) and feel I can wear either as a daily watch.
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 01:35 AM   #48
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I love the Daytona too much. I wouldn't do it, unless it was for the new 15202BC with the Salmon dial! Lol.

However, if the RO really "sings" to you (more than the Daytona), I think you already know the answer.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #49
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
This might be blasphemy but I think the Daytona looks great on you. I would source a ceramic bezel for it. No more worries about scratching the bezel. And when you send it into Rolex for service pop the original back on. Or when you go to sell it then it will have both bezels. Can’t hurt.

I've never seen this before. How's the quality? I'm not sure about how high the quality could be for $60, but interested in more details on it.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:40 AM   #50
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Just be aware that a RO is a scratch magnet on a HUGE scale compared to a Daytona ornither sports Rolex. This is particularly true of the bezel. It’s not a bad trade but be aware of what you are getting yourself into.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #51
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I wouldnt make a trade unless it was specifically towards a 15202st or a 15407st. Your daytona is nice inwould keep it. Its more wearable
Same here
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #52
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I'd only do it if going toward a 15202ST.
Old 28 January 2019, 03:13 AM   #53
"TRF" Member

IMO, ROs are great to look at but feel weird on the wrist. I never liked the way it sits on the wrist nor the bracelet. Daytona is just perfect.
997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 03:15 AM   #54
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do it. I think the Royal oak is stunning, but the Daytona is way more practical unless you have a large collection. Or youre adding the AP to the Daytona.
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 03:43 AM   #55
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
So, another opinion. I wore a Royal Oak chronograph and a Royal Oak perpetual calendar as day-to-day watches for years.

The Rolex is a much more durable design. It is extremely well-made and it will last forever.

AP is part of the holy Trinity and produces an a whole other level than Rolex. It is Watch making at its finest. However…

The finishing on the Royal Oak is incredibly meticulous and thus is easily scratched or marred. On the Rolex this seems to add character but in AP it jumps out at you like a flashing light. Refinishing an AP can only occur so many times before you alter the look of the watch. Lose the sharp edges and the value of the watch drops like a rock. Even the manufacturer states that polishing can occur only four or five times during the lifetime of this watch. Because it is such a fastidious finishing there are lots and lots of nightmare stories of it being done poorly.

The AP is not as durable as the Rolex. It is a sporty watch, not a sports watch. For most of us who don’t do anything particularly stressful or dangerous it is more than adequate.

Somebody on this site once pointed out that one has to take into account maintenance on a Watch just like on a car. The Rolex is a Lexus, meaning it can be worked on almost anywhere. The AP is a Ferrari and maintenance costs Ferrari like prices.

The Rolex bracelet consistently is one of the best in the business. The AP bracelet is extremely complicated and attractive but it does not fit everybody’s wrist.

The AP does not retain value in the same manner that a Daytona will.

The question comes down do you want to dip your toe in the holy Trinity or want something that is well respected and maintenance free?

Lastly, if I see someone wearing a Daytona I don’t really give them any thought. If I see someone wearing a royal oak I assume they are a fellow Watch idiot savant.

Let us know what you decide.

Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #56
shirtshirt
"TRF" Member

I would not get rid of the Daytona.
shirtshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 04:18 AM   #57
orhanbalu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I would

orhanbalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 04:36 AM   #58
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
I've never seen this before. How's the quality? I'm not sure about how high the quality could be for $60, but interested in more details on it.

This is just an example. I have seen the bezel swap in person and it looks really good. I don’t know if it was the $60 one or a more expensive one. I mainly posted it to show how it would look. I can tell you that the bezel swaps I have seen fit flush and perfect.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 05:05 AM   #59
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

had the 116520, sold it to fund another piece and regretted letting it go soon thereafter. just recently acquired another one, and thrilled to see it coming back.

the daytona is so easy to wear, and the black one in the prior gen steel bezel is far more versatile (dress, formal, sporty, casual) than the ceramic version or the ROC, imo.

also, i think the 116520 will stand the test of time better than the ROC. the 116520 is still highly sought after, selling at well above retail (nevermind that it's discontinued!), and I'm doubtful the ROC will reach similar elevation.

plus, judging by that wrist shot, i strongly believe the ROC will not be as comfortable to wear than the daytona.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 05:36 AM   #60
Betta01
"TRF" Member

No way I will let go that Black daytona..
It's an appreciating asset..
Save up for the AP.

Just my personal opinion.
I am both a fan of the Daytona and the AP offshore series..and I really appreciate the value of the Daytona..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote