The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 June 2014, 06:27 AM   #1
sennheiserz
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ + Ω +
Icon6 Seadweller 1665 vs 16660 vs 16600 vs SD4000

Hi all,

Having just acquired a Red sub, its on to the next, and the next is a Seadweller. With my 1675 and 1680 being a little more on the delicate side, I'm hoping a Seadweller can really become a nice daily beater and actually see water action as well. So here are the options and why I might pick them, help!

1665: Follows my current vintage streak, but I don't want to swing for a rail dial or DRSD, and as much as I love the superdome I'm thinking I'll still be nervous making a watch so old into a beater. Figure I'll go for a DRSD someday and tick off the 1665 box then?

16660: Triple six, many call it the perfect mix of vintage and modern and great for use as a daily wearer and tool. Also I can probably get one in my birth year (1983 is common for these).

16600: Another (much cheaper) option is an early tritium 16600, which has most of the charm of the 666, but with the marker surrounds. The price is pretty hard to resist, being nearly half the others, but I feel it may not be a particularly collectible piece in the future.

SD4000: Tried it on, and it was very cool. Having just sold my only new watch (BLNR) it would be fun to have all the modern updates again. However it is fairly expensive.

AP ROO Diver: Wildcard (gotta have a wildcard).

Where would you start? I feel like the 666 has the best combo of vintage/collectible and modern/wearable. I'd rather not spend more than SD4000 money on whatever I get.

Thanks!

Collection: Rolex Sub NDc 114060 | Omega SMP 861 | Apple Watch SS
sennheiserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
Start here The Great White everyday every occasion sports watch

Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
What are gonna do next month ?

Than you own all models

HAGOne

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 07:54 AM   #4
DamageInc.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: UJ Alfred 40
I went through the same considerations as you. Money was not an issue and I just wanted the best possible watch. I didn't care about resale value or anything like that. Just aesthetics and functionality. Just what I liked the best, really.

I went for a Z-Series 16600. It was simply my favorite. I liked it so much that I recently purchased another one. A V-series to be exact. I have/had all sorts of watches, all the way from a simple Date-Just to Patek Perpetual Calendars and my favorite watch of all time is my Z-16600. I can't explain it, but I love it so much.

Anything you choose should simply be based on what you like the most. I personally don't like the new Sea-Dweller or even the Sub-C, so those weren't even part of the consideration for me. I can't tell you to choose one of them over the others, because they all have their different little charms.

As for the AP Offshore, I have one. I don't like it that much, and it barely gets any wrist-time with my 16600's around. And AP's customer support is simply the worst. I am never buying anything from them again.
Old 20 June 2014, 08:30 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AP Diver is pretty much my fav SS watch along with the sub.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I take your point about the risk with an early vintage model such as the 1665. Beautiful watch but might not stand up as a beater. The new SDc does it or the 16600 may be the better way to go. Hard to beat that classic! Good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 09:42 AM   #7
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Older the better.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 09:55 AM   #9
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc.77 View Post
I went through the same considerations as you. Money was not an issue and I just wanted the best possible watch. I didn't care about resale value or anything like that. Just aesthetics and functionality. Just what I liked the best, really.

I went for a Z-Series 16600. It was simply my favorite. I liked it so much that I recently purchased another one. A V-series to be exact. I have/had all sorts of watches, all the way from a simple Date-Just to Patek Perpetual Calendars and my favorite watch of all time is my Z-16600. I can't explain it, but I love it so much.

Anything you choose should simply be based on what you like the most. I personally don't like the new Sea-Dweller or even the Sub-C, so those weren't even part of the consideration for me. I can't tell you to choose one of them over the others, because they all have their different little charms.

As for the AP Offshore, I have one. I don't like it that much, and it barely gets any wrist-time with my 16600's around. And AP's customer support is simply the worst. I am never buying anything from them again.
? AP's support is, by all accounts I've heard, fabulous. With which service center did you have a bad experience?

Also, which Offshore do you have? Curious, would love to see a comparison shot of it alongside your Sea-Dweller.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 09:58 AM   #10
sennheiserz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for your long reply. Its exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear. Maybe I'll try and get a few of these models on my wrist tomorrow and see who sings loudest.

Old 20 June 2014, 10:32 AM   #11
psv
"TRF" Member

One doesn't have to exclude the other... ;-)

Personally I think the new SD4K beats pretty much all of them out there. As much as I loved the '666 and the older SD16600, they were never that comfortable on my wrist, a bit too top heavy and I could never get the fit right, either too tight or a bit too lose. On top of that, the lume is sub-par by modern standard. But they are beautiful, also very photogenic thus it is easy to get carried away online....

The ROO Diver was the same story for me, tried loving it, but it wasn't really comfortable on my type of wrist, the lume was sub-par and the bezel scratches if you sneeze at it.

Along came the new Sea-Dweller 4000. A Rolex re-issue where the case takes a que from the older times but where you get the benefits of maxi-dial and hands and the modern bracelet and clasp system. It is such a winner!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Nostromopilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2009 DSSD MK-1 V
Patrick--EXCEPTIONAL photo. Absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post

Personally I think the new SD4K beats pretty much all of them out there. As much as I loved the '666 and the older SD16600, they were never that comfortable on my wrist, a bit too top heavy and I could never get the fit right, either too tight or a bit too lose. On top of that, the lume is sub-par by modern standard. But they are beautiful, also very photogenic thus it is easy to get carried away online....

The ROO Diver was the same story for me, tried loving it, but it wasn't really comfortable on my type of wrist, the lume was sub-par and the bezel scratches if you sneeze at it.

Along came the new Sea-Dweller 4000. A Rolex re-issue where the case takes a que from the older times but where you get the benefits of maxi-dial and hands and the modern bracelet and clasp system. It is such a winner!
Nostromopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 10:50 AM   #13
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome pic.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 10:54 AM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

After trying on the sdc today, I have to agree completely.

Great shot and collection as well!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 12:08 PM   #15
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
SD-C is the one I picked and loving it. I've owned the Sub-C but not the 16600 though.

MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 12:09 PM   #16
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project

Amazing trio!
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 01:01 PM   #17
Dr DRW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers
If injust had one I would go with the 16600

Dr DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 01:05 PM   #18
sennheiserz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As all have said, awesome picture!

I too have tried hard to love the ROO D and it is a bit big and silly on my small wrist (although looking at myself in the mirror with it on made me feel like a billionaire). I'm pretty much down to the 16600 or the SDc. I think I honestly want the SDc more (and I have tried it on) if only because the new bracelets are so epic. Gonna have to save up for a while, but I think it will be worth it. Thanks for your input!

Old 20 June 2014, 01:10 PM   #19
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I really like the vintage and modern look and feel of my 666. I am also looking for a tritium 16600.
Hard to describe how good this watch feels and looks until you have it on your wrist.
You are evaluating very nice references - if you choose vintage, buy the best example you can afford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 666 may 16 nice.jpg (73.1 KB, 1670 views)
File Type: jpg 16660 lug and sel.jpg (65.6 KB, 1673 views)
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 01:37 PM   #20
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Hey Dave. Glad to see you're on the hunt again so soon! AP Diver I assume 15703ST which is a beauty but my jaw dropped when I tried and handled the AP FC which is quite the watch so went with that one.

However I have read you're a vintage man now so I would stick to rolex if that's the case and 16600 for the price.
Old 20 June 2014, 02:12 PM   #21
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
Ive just sold my 16600 for a 1665
1665 great white is for me the most beautifull of dwellers. It is The perfection and very rare collectible piece to own.
Take one, make a pressure test, and wear it 24/24

16600 is wonderfull but each time you ll take a look to a 1665 you may cry
Triple 6 is a fantastic option (new movement, rapid date, sapphire) BUT no dome
SDC is a joke
Old 20 June 2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I would go with the vintage
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 03:36 PM   #23
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Personally...

Since you did use the term beater...

I have this watch as well..(no tritium) and its wonderful. I would skip the tritium...just get one that actually glows...makes it significantly more useful.

You won't loose money on the watches if you buy it at a good price now...and all Rolex divers are desirable.

If you want a collectable get a Tudor Snowflake in Blue. They work as a beater and are pretty cheap to service and based on the trend they will be worth a big chunk of change in the future.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 05:20 PM   #24
DamageInc.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: UJ Alfred 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
? AP's support is, by all accounts I've heard, fabulous. With which service center did you have a bad experience?

Also, which Offshore do you have? Curious, would love to see a comparison shot of it alongside your Sea-Dweller.
It has nothing to do with their service centers. It's their policies. They refused to sell me a steel bezel to replace the rubber one. They even acknowledged that the rubber bezel was poor and steel would be a better option, and they still did not want to help me out. They even told me to go buy another watch if I didn't like the bezel. I was furious that they even would suggest it. My dealer even quit selling AP watches because he absolutely hated the way they do business. You can't even order spare parts unless the old ones are sent back first. They basically use the dealers as puppets and are a huge pain in the a**.

It seems they would rather have a customer be completely dissatisfied with their very expensive product than do one little simple thing like providing a steel spare part. It's arrogance. And their service prices are absolutely ridiculous. I've been to their factory. They'll smile and gladly take your money, but as soon as you request some real customer service or anything slightly out of the ordinary, they will go out of their way to not do it.

No real reason for a comparison shot between the two, as the Offshore has roughly the same dimensions as a Deep-Sea, and there are plenty comparison pictures with that.
Old 20 June 2014, 07:27 PM   #25
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:

Crazy nice pic, Patrick!!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 07:45 PM   #26
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo View Post
Ive just sold my 16600 for a 1665
1665 great white is for me the most beautifull of dwellers. It is The perfection and very rare collectible piece to own.
Take one, make a pressure test, and wear it 24/24

16600 is wonderfull but each time you ll take a look to a 1665 you may cry
Triple 6 is a fantastic option (new movement, rapid date, sapphire) BUT no dome
SDC is a joke

Old 20 June 2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Clay
Banned

Let me be perfectly honest….I have NEVER met a Sea Dweller that I haven't loved...

And I have owned ALL of them at one time or another…!!!

And, after having owned them all, I can say without a doubt that the 666 is simply the best Sea Dweller you can have...

I will spare you all of the twaddle about why...

But I will say this…If you have never seen the Matte Dial 666 in person…If you have never looked at the 666's Matte Dial through the flat sapphire Crystal…

Then you have NO Idea what you are missing...

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 11:38 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It has nothing to do with their service centers. It's their policies. They refused to sell me a steel bezel to replace the rubber one. They even acknowledged that the rubber bezel was poor and steel would be a better option, and they still did not want to help me out. They even told me to go buy another watch if I didn't like the bezel. I was furious that they even would suggest it. My dealer even quit selling AP watches because he absolutely hated the way they do business. You can't even order spare parts unless the old ones are sent back first. They basically use the dealers as puppets and are a huge pain in the a**.

It seems they would rather have a customer be completely dissatisfied with their very expensive product than do one little simple thing like providing a steel spare part. It's arrogance. And their service prices are absolutely ridiculous. I've been to their factory. They'll smile and gladly take your money, but as soon as you request some real customer service or anything slightly out of the ordinary, they will go out of their way to not do it.

No real reason for a comparison shot between the two, as the Offshore has roughly the same dimensions as a Deep-Sea, and there are plenty comparison pictures with that.
Their policy is they will only replace like for like, not steel for rubber, so calm down your rantings. Compare this to Rolex stealing your dial/bezel if you ask for and pay for a new one to be put on your watch without even telling you this will be done. AP's customer service has a fine reputation on this forum and seems to far exceed Rolex's.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 12:15 AM   #29
diasurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 Sea-Dweller
I'm sending my 1665 Great White out for service today. It was bought in 1980 by my father and is all original. It's an everyday watch for me, but I would never wear it in/over water. One pin breaks and it's gone forever. Too much sentimental value. I surf and sail in a $30 casio.
diasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2014, 12:26 AM   #30
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diasurfer View Post
I'm sending my 1665 Great White out for service today. It was bought in 1980 by my father and is all original. It's an everyday watch for me, but I would never wear it in/over water. One pin breaks and it's gone forever. Too much sentimental value. I surf and sail in a $30 casio.
Please instruct them only to service the movement - can you post pics please

Tags
16600 , 1665 , 16660 , sd4000 , seadweller