The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2019, 08:52 AM   #61
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
The DFW ads dont have anything !! im surprised the sales people have not quit
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:52 AM   #62
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
OP I like you but I wouldnt put much stock into what he said. It is what they do that matters. They did nothing. Why you filed a BBB complaint is beyond me. Now here is where I get a little bit tougher. You've been here since 2014. Why didnt you buy the watch prior?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:57 AM   #63
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU1026 View Post
So as the title reads, I've been disgruntled and salty because many of my local dealers (DFW) have been pushing pm watches to combo a in demand stainless watch or buying something else in the store at the same time or in the past (loyal customer). I've search for the better part of a year with zero luck. Anyway, I sent in a complaint that effectively said that the pricing is misleading if your dealer network required other purchases to be able to purchase a more in demand watch. Surprising enough I just got a call by a very nice person who said he was with Rolex for 24 years and wanted to speak to me about it.

A couple talking points

- Rolex is aware and as of three months ago started a customer relations email to track issue with customers and their dealer network

- Rolex is making more watches but it takes a while to ramp up. He did not disclose specific figures

- Not allowing AD's to leverage a watch with other watches or none Rolex items to be able to purchase a watch was just added to their AD guild lines

- Training sessions for AD's are coming to ensure a similar experience across all Rolex locations

-There are teams of Rolex employees to crack down on the flipping for a secondary market

- Lastly, he stressed to wait to buy from a Rolex AD instead of the grey market/secondary market. To "be patient and there will be relief" but wait to buy from a authorized dealer.
Talk is cheap. Most of this is non enforceable as AD's are independent business' and can basically do what they want, they have been all along and Rolex can't do anything to stop it. I will believe some or all of this when it really happens. But I don't buy any of it.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:00 AM   #64
FSU1026
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
OP I like you but I wouldnt put much stock into what he said. It is what they do that matters. They did nothing. Why you filed a BBB complaint is beyond me. Now here is where I get a little bit tougher. You've been here since 2014. Why didnt you buy the watch prior?
I paid off all my debt, put money away for retirement many many years from now and this past year or so when the economy was doing well I bought a diamond for an engagement ring and a machine gun. One is a commodity and the other has a finite number available legally.
FSU1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:02 AM   #65
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
When I bought a precious metal piece I did not get a Daytona. What happened here?
With all due respect, you fell for the trap that I almost fell into.

An AD on the West Coast basically gave me a "plan" to purchase the modern Rolex of my dreams, the 126710BLRO. I'd have to buy 4 watches before I could get it- two stainless steel professionals, and two datejusts.

OK. We agreed on the models. Ridiculous, but fine.

Before I made payment, I had an uneasy feeling about something, and called on a veteran watch seller in the Chicagoland area. He stopped me dead in my tracks and told me to walk away, unless the AD was willing to sell me a datejust AND a s.s. professional model at the same time. I agreed that was reasonable- if I'm being forced to buy multiple watches, the least the AD could do is accommodate me accordingly.

When the sales associate heard my request, he put up quite a bit of resistance. "I can't promise when the Submariner will come in," he said "I can't just sit on a Datejust until the Sub comes in."

This was the same sales associate who just days before told me that he gets Submariners every 2-3 weeks, tops.

He then told me "you have my word."

Sorry, but if I'm going to spend $$$ to purchase 4 watches I don't really need (and supposedly, I should not "resell"), then I really don't want to be taken as a sucker. Because assuming the AD sales associate was even honest to begin with (there's no way to tell), I don't know if the AD will lose its Rolex partnership next week (not unheard of) or if the sales associate will get sacked.

So yeah. Cover your bases.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:03 AM   #66
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexCustomerRep
"I've been here 24 years and what's going on is near panic".
Pretty much sums it up
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:04 AM   #67
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
I paid off all my debt, put money away for retirement many many years from now and this past year or so when the economy was doing well I bought a diamond for an engagement ring and a machine gun. One is a commodity and the other has a finite number available legally.
By chance did you purchase the diamond/engagement ring from a jeweler that is also a Rolex AD? If so that should definitely help your odds in getting a watch sooner rather than later.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:10 AM   #68
quichedem
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
My take-away from all this heartburn everyone is having is that:

- It seems that a lot of folks have the sentiment that, because they have the means, that they're "owed" the very model of their choosing.

- There are tons of wealthier people, with more means, willing to pay way more than the MSRP for the model they want, so they can have it exactly when they want it.

Rolex can't help that they're products are hot right now. Supply and demand, and the ADs are interested in making-up those discounts they had to give out when it was a buyer's market. Rolex would be foolish to increase any amount of supply because of a temporary spike in demand - That's just proper business sense.

Don't pay the grey market premiums, and let the flippers get stuck with the ball. In this scenario, when the smoke clears, any model you would want would be available and at/below MSRP. I wanted a Sub for a VERY long time. I found a pre-owned for more than I was willing to pay a few years ago, but I realized that when things even-out I won't take a bath because Rolex won't flood the market to placate the upset folks on therolexforums.
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:15 AM   #69
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Maybe for a very small handful of the cars Porsche makes, like the GT, but short of that, I and anyone else will pay close to MSRP if not below for the vast majority of Porsche models. And the higher demand models typically do go to end user buyers, not some flipper.

So it's the same as Rolex. There are a lot of models you can for MSRP, some even for below. I currently have a deposit for a GT car, and I still have to pay a premium. Either suck it up and do it, or buy something else. It's not the end of the world.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:17 AM   #70
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair enough. Still I can't fathom why you spent the time complaining to the bbb when you can read the reality here.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 23 July 2019, 09:20 AM   #71
s14roller
"TRF" Member

An owner of an AD went to the factory years ago. Remembered seeing trays of Daytonas there.

Reality is Rolex could increase supply any time they want.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:27 AM   #72
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
So it's the same as Rolex. There are a lot of models you can for MSRP, some even for below. I currently have a deposit for a GT car, and I still have to pay a premium. Either suck it up and do it, or buy something else. It's not the end of the world.
It's not the same, most Porsche buyers are not looking for a GT, they just want the 911 or maybe a Panamera. Porsche has the majority of the buying pool for its products covered. Rolex is the opposite. If you want to buy the expensive stuff it is readily available but if you want the standard fare you are out of luck. Porsche does not want its entry level or first time buyers turned off as that is how they grow the brand, and customer experience. All Rolex is doing is pissing off the very people that might be long term customers as they grow with the brand and can afford the PM pieces.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:32 AM   #73
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
It's not the same, most Porsche buyers are not looking for a GT, they just want the 911 or maybe a Panamera. Porsche has the majority of the buying pool for its products covered. Rolex is the opposite. If you want to buy the expensive stuff it is readily available but if you want the standard fare you are out of luck. Porsche does not want its entry level or first time buyers turned off as that is how they grow the brand, and customer experience. All Rolex is doing is pissing off the very people that might be long term customers as they grow with the brand and can afford the PM pieces.
I could be wrong, but isn't a majority of the buying pool looking for a Datejust? That's the impression I get from talking to my SA. He said in the last couple years they have seen a HUGE increase in people walking in asking for SS professional models, but the bread and butter is the DJ and sales have been really strong the last couple of years.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:36 AM   #74
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Disgruntled with the search for my first and received a call from Rolex

At the end of the day Rolex is a luxury item. No one is forcing you to buy a Rolex for your wedding. Yes you want one but can't get one but that's not Rolex's fault. If you don't like Rolex's methods or the way they treat their customers or the way they are opaque or the lack of production or holding ADs accountable .....then you should move on. You want to get a special watch, I understand.... But sadly not everyone can get one these days especially the sought after models. you either wait or pay a premium or go to a different brand.

This is no different than trying to get into the hottest and trendiest clubs/bars/restaurants in NYC. Lot of people want in. Lot of people in NYC have money and cash in hand by no means guarantees entry. not everyone can get in. It's like complaining to chef being all pissed off that you have money to spend but can't get a reservation for a table. Just means you will have to eat somewhere else. Not everyone will make it past the velvet rope that night and some may NEVER get in. You gotta be VIP whether it be money or notoriety or just plain dumb luck....

This is the state of a capitalist society. The haves and have nots. It's not always fair. Sorry to be blunt.

Regardless ....even IF Rolex wasn't paying you lip service, which I think they were, there will always be certain models that will still be hard to come by (ie Daytona SS or recent models like the BLRO or blue SkyD). At the end of the day Rolex will not meet demand especially for those models. They may provide some token relief in production for Subs or Milguas or AK

Of course this is all IMHO....Best of luck in your search and with Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:52 AM   #75
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're looking at it from a price perspective, when the reality is about desirability/demand. You can try and buy a GT4 at MSRP or a 918 or it's future equivalent but you'll be SOL unless you're a VVIP. You show up to the dealership and tell them you have $1m for a car and they ask you who you are.
Old 23 July 2019, 10:05 AM   #76
Sosa_DOS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
So as the title reads, I've been disgruntled and salty because many of my local dealers (DFW) have been pushing pm watches to combo a in demand stainless watch or buying something else in the store at the same time or in the past (loyal customer). I've search for the better part of a year with zero luck. Anyway, I sent in a complaint that effectively said that the pricing is misleading if your dealer network required other purchases to be able to purchase a more in demand watch. Surprising enough I just got a call by a very nice person who said he was with Rolex for 24 years and wanted to speak to me about it.

A couple talking points

- Rolex is aware and as of three months ago started a customer relations email to track issue with customers and their dealer network

- Rolex is making more watches but it takes a while to ramp up. He did not disclose specific figures

- Not allowing AD's to leverage a watch with other watches or none Rolex items to be able to purchase a watch was just added to their AD guild lines

- Training sessions for AD's are coming to ensure a similar experience across all Rolex locations

-There are teams of Rolex employees to crack down on the flipping for a secondary market

- Lastly, he stressed to wait to buy from a Rolex AD instead of the grey market/secondary market. To "be patient and there will be relief" but wait to buy from a authorized dealer.

Where did you send the complaint, email?

Sosa_DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:19 AM   #77
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quichedem View Post
- It seems that a lot of folks have the sentiment that, because they have the means, that they're "owed" the very model of their choosing.
I completely agree!

If one doesn't like Rolex's business practices.... time to either suck it up and wait or go grey or move to another brand.

Rolex isn't forcing anyone to buy their watches.

Rolex is a luxury brand that not everyone can achieve even if you have the money. Not everyone makes it past the bouncer and velvet rope
Old 23 July 2019, 10:25 AM   #78
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Maybe Rolex will resolve the shortage. And then AD’s can supply at MRSP. And then grey dealers will sell at discounted prices. And then people will buy from Greys. And then there will be a shortage again. And then people will complain that the AD’s won’t prioritise them.

Haha
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:29 AM   #79
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Lip service. Hope it made you feel better.

Their "teams" of employees cracking down on the secondary market are clearly doing an excellent job.
This
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:33 AM   #80
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A couple talking points

Takuya literally lives in your city FWIW.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 23 July 2019, 11:10 AM   #81
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
Everybody likes to play the game, but not put in the effort (or money in this case).
This.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:19 AM   #82
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
You're looking at it from a price perspective, when the reality is about desirability/demand. You can try and buy a GT4 at MSRP or a 918 or it's future equivalent but you'll be SOL unless you're a VVIP. You show up to the dealership and tell them you have $1m for a car and they ask you who you are.
True story. Of you did buy a 918 when they were available (and it took awhile to sell all of them) you automatically became a Porsche VIP for 10 years and get first dibs at whatever comes out. There was 991 911R’s produced, presumably 918 of them went to 918 owners. When the first GT4 came out my dealer got four of them plus another allocation of three for their 918 customers. And so on.
We can now resume our lamentations about Rolex.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:28 AM   #83
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Talk about an entitlement attitude.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:40 AM   #84
LeftCoastBias
"TRF" Member

Watch: I AM BATMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
Talk about an entitlement attitude.

THIS.

- Sent via iPhone. Please excuse any typos or brevity in my message

...it just gets more random and obscure from there...
LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:41 AM   #85
Bigblu10
Banned

These sob story threads are really pitiful at best. Grown men who moan, rant, groan and complain they can't buy a stainless steel model Rolex watch. For what it's worth, grow up and put on your big boy pants! The market is what it is. Either pony up the extra $$ to a grey watch dealer who has a watch for sale, or move on to another brand, or just wait for the market to change, ha! As been said by others here the "entitlement attitude" is really immature and just plain silly. These are watches people. Not food, water, gasoline or a roof over your head.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:42 AM   #86
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
True story. Of you did buy a 918 when they were available (and it took awhile to sell all of them) you automatically became a Porsche VIP for 10 years and get first dibs at whatever comes out. There was 991 911R’s produced, presumably 918 of them went to 918 owners. When the first GT4 came out my dealer got four of them plus another allocation of three for their 918 customers. And so on.
We can now resume our lamentations about Rolex.

I remember reading about the 918 owners and the GT4 last time around, and now with the new one my sales guy said the only people at his dealership getting them for MSRP are 918 owners. Basically what you said, they get anything they want at sticker price.
Old 23 July 2019, 12:10 PM   #87
FSU1026
"TRF" Member

All interesting comments. I look at it that the current market wasn't Rolex's intent and they never comment on anything and trying to find an avenue to pass feedback is hard to say the least. Many people have inherit interests whether it's people like me that keep popping into AD's to strike stainless to people selling watches on the secondary market or those worried that an influx of watches would devalue their current stable.
FSU1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:20 PM   #88
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
All Rolex is doing is pissing off the very people that might be long term customers as they grow with the brand and can afford the PM pieces.

Existing customers are very happy. People see how happy existing customers are and want to be customers too, so they can be happy owners as well.

And as any business well knows, existing customers are the best customers for they are the ones who will return when the hype dies, the speculators leave, the Johnnies-come-lately lose interest.

Disgruntled angry unable-to-obtain-desired-SS sports model types?

Noisy minority overly represented on a forum such as this.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:31 PM   #89
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
These sob story threads are really pitiful at best. Grown men who moan, rant, groan and complain they can't buy a stainless steel model Rolex watch. For what it's worth, grow up and put on your big boy pants! The market is what it is. Either pony up the extra $$ to a grey watch dealer who has a watch for sale, or move on to another brand, or just wait for the market to change, ha! As been said by others here the "entitlement attitude" is really immature and just plain silly. These are watches people. Not food, water, gasoline or a roof over your head.
+100%

Old 23 July 2019, 12:31 PM   #90
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I heard if you complain they put you on a list and you never get a watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote