The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2019, 01:04 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Another Tourenou experience - New York

Visiting friends in Long Island and we went to the local (nice) mall, I think it is in Huntington(?). Anyway I see a Tourn store, not expecting much, walked in.

Now my friend and I were in T-shirt’s and Shorts, (it was literally 97 degrees so everyone was dressed like that) I was wearing my DJ 41, my friend a Brietling.

It is about 6:00 in the evening, July 21st. I walk in, there are three “workers” One is by the front door, doesn’t acknowledge me but stares straight down at his cell phone. The second is behind the counter assisting a customer. The third is standing behind a another counter ALSO staring at his cell phone. My friend and I walk to the Rolex counter and star looking at the (not surprisingly) sparse display cases. We are talking about models
Aunt five minutes goes by but we still have not been acknowledged by anyone.

I started to approach the one behind the counter that had STILL not looked up from his cell phone to even acknowledge any sense of a customer on the store. When he saw m approaching, HE TURNED AND WALKS TO THE BACK OF THE STORE (closed door, employees only). I looked back at the first guy that was by the door looking at his cell phone. He actually walked OUT of the entire store, I think making a phone call. OKaaayyyy...

I was going to leave, pretty disgusted, when the lady finished with her customer and walked over to us. They had an AG Sky Dweller and I asked if I could see it. She was nice, said sure, and I put my DJ41 on the pad. She picked it up and said that’s a nice DJ2. I replied it was actually it was a DJ41. She said, and pretty much quote: Well it IS 41MM size but the model is called the DJ2. Now... the two look very similar, and to her credit, I mentioned the DJ41 had the new 3235 movement, she did acknowledge I was right. Then pointed out another difference in the bezel (also correct). It was like a challenge contest and she had to prove her superiority.

We talked a couple minutes but I was so turned off I really wasn’t listening and left.

I’m the way out, the (Big) has just returned to the store from his cell phone call and made the only acknowledgment I received from him: “Have a good evening” as I walked out. I never saw the smaller gentleman that disappeared in the back while still staring at his cell phone to avoid talking to me maybe he ran out the back door.

Pretty sad over all. I received better customer service from the Zen burger we had dinner at.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:10 AM   #2
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
yikes.

the tourneau dealers in maui are awesome. both locations. my only in person experience with the company. although one of their SAs did think my Linde Werdelin Oktopus was a g-shock.

i may screenshot this and send it to them. that’s pretty unconscionable.
jvb.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:15 AM   #3
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
I've had a similar conversation about the DJ41/DJ2 with a woman working at an AD. How do they not know the right model? It reminds me of when I used to visit car dealerships and teach the salesperson about the details of the car he should be selling me, the customer. You don't have THAT many different models not to learn this stuff. Ah well.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:16 AM   #4
billfredericks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Tourneau in Boston tried to sell me an early 90s 16610 that was visibly missing a gasket in the triplock. Rep said he didn’t think it had one to begin with. I said, “Ok. Pressure test it.” Of course, it failed. The manager said he would order me another one from another location right away! I hope they lose Rolex.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:29 AM   #5
steadywaters
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This is the typical experience from the Tourneau on 57th St. as well -- only from the Rolex counter. It appears they just gave up on because they know they have nothing you really want and they're not going to even waste their time talking to you.

Visited this location multiple times in recent months. Each time, it's a different team and the attitude is the same. Walk upstairs to the Patek area and the salesladies are super nice with smiles on their faces.
steadywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:30 AM   #6
pepsiretail
Banned

Too bad for them, they lost a sale
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:33 AM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I would hate to be a Rolex salesperson these days.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:34 AM   #8
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

I have had bad experiences in the Manhattan 57th Street location as well. Will never go back.
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 01:40 AM   #9
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I've been to that same Tourneau a few times over the years.

Always a random visit if I happen to be at that mall. Have had a similar experience each time. They are terrible.
Old 23 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #10
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
was the woman a little bit older and kind of old school sales lady-ish looking? if so, i've dealt with her before and the same attitude.

I had a crazy crazy bad experience in that store years ago where the sales rep accused me of having a fake DD cause the bracelet had some permeant links removed lol. I was a joke.

That said, there are two employees there that are fantastic. A young man and woman. I've bought a couple watches from them and they're not only polite and respectful, they're both also true enthusiasts.

Bad roll of the dice, although the chances of great service at any tournea are usually not good haha.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:00 AM   #11
smohr33
"TRF" Member

They are the closest AD to me and I've never had a good experience.

The way you were treated is typical. The salespeople are typically not knowledgeable, and their lack of customer service is appalling. Only once did a kid behind the counter acknowledge my BLNR and how "lucky I was" to have it.

I still wander in there if I'm at the mall (waiting on my wife usually), but I typically get in and out without even a "Hi, how can I help you?".

From past (breif) conversations they say they have no lists - but I have never seen any desirable inventory in the case and I pass by pretty frequently.
smohr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:04 AM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
January this year visited Tourenou in 42nd (if I remember correctly ) .
Actually wasn't really there to chit chat ,just wanted to see how empty the shelves were.Well,it was ......
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:13 AM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

As ridiculous as this may seem, the WIS is not Tourneau's target customer.

The majority of people who work there don't collect watches and don't think about them for even a second after they clock out. They couldn't care less.

The typical sales process for them involves a member of the general public stumbling into the store. They walk up to the counter and essentially say "Rolex Please"...

Then the SA will show them whatever is in the case, tell them how nice it looks, that they should treat themselves and these are quite rare and they should buy it now.

Then they might go over financing options and pitch the tourneau watch protection plan.

Next they swipe the customers credit card, package it up...see ya.

So, they really don't need to know all the minutiae that WIS obsess over. We aren't their target customer and in the end they just don't want to deal with us because there are easier fish to fry...

I used to be like you guys years ago. I would have all these expectations that the watch salesperson was a WIS too and we could talk all day about watches and it would fun.

The reality of it is that they know just enough to sell the watch to people who don't know anything about them when they come in the store. That's good enough for them.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:26 AM   #14
leooooo
"TRF" Member

1. Watches is our hobby vs watches is their job.
2. Some people are great at their jobs and some people suck at their jobs.

Why is it surprising?
Old 23 July 2019, 02:29 AM   #15
gsg
"TRF" Member

Turd-neau.
I've had a bad experience with them once servicing a watch, won't be back.
gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:30 AM   #16
Cru Jones

Sad, yes, but I suppose the average Rolex customer is getting what he/she expects/needs?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #17
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

It's been a pretty similar experience for me at the one in Vegas when I've visited. Definitely not impressed. They carry a lot of brands, but that doesn't mean I'd buy from them.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #18
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I would hate to be a Rolex salesperson these days.

you are not wrong. #duckandcover
jvb.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:08 AM   #19
Steph-paul
"TRF" Member

100% agree with Fleetlord, well said.
Steph-paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:10 AM   #20
HappyFish
Banned

Some kind of snobish behavoir belongs to a veblen good-on both sides! Not only for this you call this price(limited availability)-demand theory the snob effect!

Learn to handle it or buy a Panerai
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:14 AM   #21
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

The majority of people who work there don't collect watches and don't think about them for even a second after they clock out. They couldn't care less.

The typical sales process for them involves a member of the general public stumbling into the store. They walk up to the counter and essentially say "Rolex Please"...

Then the SA will show them whatever is in the case, tell them how nice it looks, that they should treat themselves and these are quite rare and they should buy it now.

Then they might go over financing options and pitch the tourneau watch protection plan.

So, they really don't need to know all the minutiae that WIS obsess over. We aren't their target customer and in the end they just don't want to deal with us because there are easier fish to fry...

I used to be like you guys years ago. I would have all these expectations that the watch salesperson was a WIS too and we could talk all day about watches and it would fun.

The reality of it is that they know just enough to sell the watch to people who don't know anything about them when they come in the store. That's good enough for them.
Totally agree. Thanks for posting this FL.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:14 AM   #22
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
She picked it up and said that’s a nice DJ2. I replied it was actually it was a DJ41. She said, and pretty much quote: Well it IS 41MM size but the model is called the DJ2. Now... the two look very similar, and to her credit, I mentioned the DJ41 had the new 3235 movement, she did acknowledge I was right. Then pointed out another difference in the bezel (also correct). It was like a challenge contest and she had to prove her superiority.

I haven't met a rep that knew stats off the top of their head yet, they always say "I can look that up". It doesn't bother me because I can't expect everyone to know the thickness of X model, the exact movement number or the reserve when it's spread out from model-to-model.

What would bother me is someone arguing with me about my own watch and being wrong. I would have left, too.

You're always supposed to give the customer the benefit of the doubt because there's very little to gain from acting like a know-it-all, especially when you're wrong.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:14 AM   #23
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Only once did a kid behind the counter acknowledge my BLNR and how "lucky I was" to have it. ......
That's quite an attitude.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:16 AM   #24
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
yikes.

the tourneau dealers in maui are awesome. both locations. my only in person experience with the company. although one of their SAs did think my Linde Werdelin Oktopus was a g-shock.

i may screenshot this and send it to them. that’s pretty unconscionable.
Yep, I've been to both. Very knowledgeable and nice. Spent at least an hour chatting with Barry at Whalers a few weeks ago.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:16 AM   #25
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by leooooo View Post
1. Watches is our hobby vs watches is their job.
2. Some people are great at their jobs and some people suck at their jobs.

Why is it surprising?
I don't think anyone is shocked, and I totally agree with you that some people are great and some people suck. It doesn't matter if you're a bus boy or a surgeon.

But when you work in a (relatively) high end jewelry shop, you'd hope the manager or higher ups would hire people with better customer service and people skills. You don't have to be an enthusiasts or WIS to be polite and courteous. I own a tiny business and a lot of the times people who work for me don't have to say one word to my clients, but I still would never hire anyone that I didn't trust to be 100% respectful of my clients and people in general.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:27 AM   #26
maxymax
"TRF" Member

All the more reason for Rolex to start selling online.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:21 AM   #27
77T

Another Tourenou experience - New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Visiting friends in Long Island and we went to the local (nice) mall, I think it is in Huntington(?). Anyway I see a Tourn store, not expecting much, walked in.

Now my friend and I were in T-shirt’s and Shorts, (it was literally 97 degrees so everyone was dressed like that) I was wearing my DJ 41, my friend a Brietling.

It is about 6:00 in the evening, July 21st. I walk in, there are three “workers” One is by the front door, doesn’t acknowledge me but stares straight down at his cell phone. The second is behind the counter assisting a customer. The third is standing behind a another counter ALSO staring at his cell phone. My friend and I walk to the Rolex counter and star looking at the (not surprisingly) sparse display cases. We are talking about models
Aunt five minutes goes by but we still have not been acknowledged by anyone.

I started to approach the one behind the counter that had STILL not looked up from his cell phone to even acknowledge any sense of a customer on the store. When he saw m approaching, HE TURNED AND WALKS TO THE BACK OF THE STORE (closed door, employees only). I looked back at the first guy that was by the door looking at his cell phone. He actually walked OUT of the entire store, I think making a phone call. OKaaayyyy...

I was going to leave, pretty disgusted, when the lady finished with her customer and walked over to us. They had an AG Sky Dweller and I asked if I could see it. She was nice, said sure, and I put my DJ41 on the pad. She picked it up and said that’s a nice DJ2. I replied it was actually it was a DJ41. She said, and pretty much quote: Well it IS 41MM size but the model is called the DJ2. Now... the two look very similar, and to her credit, I mentioned the DJ41 had the new 3235 movement, she did acknowledge I was right. Then pointed out another difference in the bezel (also correct). It was like a challenge contest and she had to prove her superiority.

We talked a couple minutes but I was so turned off I really wasn’t listening and left.

I’m the way out, the (Big) has just returned to the store from his cell phone call and made the only acknowledgment I received from him: “Have a good evening” as I walked out. I never saw the smaller gentleman that disappeared in the back while still staring at his cell phone to avoid talking to me maybe he ran out the back door.

Pretty sad over all. I received better customer service from the Zen burger we had dinner at.

You get more attention if you carry a hammer when going in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:32 AM   #28
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You get more attention when going in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats the look of millionaires as they dont have to wear suits and leather shoes at 35 degrees!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:43 AM   #29
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

This made me chuckle :)
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:45 AM   #30
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
You get both good and bad customer service no matter what retail business you go to.

I've generally found the staff at the Timemachine on 57th and the Westchester to be very good. I've always been engaged and welcomed. If you go to the Westchester ask for Igancio - he's top notch.

The real problem is the lack of customer service training, product training, and sales training.

Good customer service is something that in my opinion is demonstrated, mirrored, learned, and then implemented. It takes time.

The product knowledge is tough for a non WIS. You have 10 different brands with a bunch of different models, configurations, etc. It's not easy.

Then comes the sales training with asking the right questions and steering the conversation towards a sale. Very few retail employees utilize open ended questions that don't result in the standard 'no'.

Then there's the mall setting. People in and out of the store all day long that have no intention or ability to make a purchase. It does beat them down after awhile. Then there's retail hours and pay etc.

I know I know - they choose the job etc. But do have some sympathy as it might not be that easy.