The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2019, 04:49 AM   #31
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
As ridiculous as this may seem, the WIS is not Tourneau's target customer.

The majority of people who work there don't collect watches and don't think about them for even a second after they clock out. They couldn't care less.

The typical sales process for them involves a member of the general public stumbling into the store. They walk up to the counter and essentially say "Rolex Please"...

Then the SA will show them whatever is in the case, tell them how nice it looks, that they should treat themselves and these are quite rare and they should buy it now.

Then they might go over financing options and pitch the tourneau watch protection plan.

Next they swipe the customers credit card, package it up...see ya.

So, they really don't need to know all the minutiae that WIS obsess over. We aren't their target customer and in the end they just don't want to deal with us because there are easier fish to fry...

I used to be like you guys years ago. I would have all these expectations that the watch salesperson was a WIS too and we could talk all day about watches and it would fun.

The reality of it is that they know just enough to sell the watch to people who don't know anything about them when they come in the store. That's good enough for them.
This is pretty much it. I've never had a good experience at any Tourneau. The reason is exactly what you stated. The employees are largely not enthusiasts and their only goal is to direct whatever individual woke up this morning and decided he or she wants a Rolex towards whatever they have in stock. The vast majority of Rolex buyers just want a Rolex. They don't even know there are different models. I've watched a customer show up looking for a black stainless steel Submariner (the only model he thought Rolex makes) and walk out of an AD with a two tone Datejust on Jubilee with almost no coercion.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:52 AM   #32
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Visiting friends in Long Island and we went to the local (nice) mall, I think it is in Huntington(?). Anyway I see a Tourn store, not expecting much, walked in.

Now my friend and I were in T-shirt’s and Shorts, (it was literally 97 degrees so everyone was dressed like that) I was wearing my DJ 41, my friend a Brietling.

It is about 6:00 in the evening, July 21st. I walk in, there are three “workers” One is by the front door, doesn’t acknowledge me but stares straight down at his cell phone. The second is behind the counter assisting a customer. The third is standing behind a another counter ALSO staring at his cell phone. My friend and I walk to the Rolex counter and star looking at the (not surprisingly) sparse display cases. We are talking about models
Aunt five minutes goes by but we still have not been acknowledged by anyone.

I started to approach the one behind the counter that had STILL not looked up from his cell phone to even acknowledge any sense of a customer on the store. When he saw m approaching, HE TURNED AND WALKS TO THE BACK OF THE STORE (closed door, employees only). I looked back at the first guy that was by the door looking at his cell phone. He actually walked OUT of the entire store, I think making a phone call. OKaaayyyy...

I was going to leave, pretty disgusted, when the lady finished with her customer and walked over to us. They had an AG Sky Dweller and I asked if I could see it. She was nice, said sure, and I put my DJ41 on the pad. She picked it up and said that’s a nice DJ2. I replied it was actually it was a DJ41. She said, and pretty much quote: Well it IS 41MM size but the model is called the DJ2. Now... the two look very similar, and to her credit, I mentioned the DJ41 had the new 3235 movement, she did acknowledge I was right. Then pointed out another difference in the bezel (also correct). It was like a challenge contest and she had to prove her superiority.

We talked a couple minutes but I was so turned off I really wasn’t listening and left.

I’m the way out, the (Big) has just returned to the store from his cell phone call and made the only acknowledgment I received from him: “Have a good evening” as I walked out. I never saw the smaller gentleman that disappeared in the back while still staring at his cell phone to avoid talking to me maybe he ran out the back door.

Pretty sad over all. I received better customer service from the Zen burger we had dinner at.
You guys gotta remember that we care WAY more than they do about watches but still no excuse for bad service. I'm a phone tech nerd as well and am amazed every time I go into a phone store and I know WAY more about their product and what is coming out than they do...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:25 AM   #33
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Tourneau on 42nd St NYC is crap. Horrible ignorant rude staff. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone. Their branch on 57th is a little better but not much. Avoid this AD like the plague.....I’d rather stab myself in the eye with a sharp stick than buy from them.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 05:39 AM   #34
Brew
"TRF" Member

Bad customer services is bad, but there are lots of ADs in NYC. Take your business elsewhere.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:05 AM   #35
Bryant Park
Banned

Several years back....

Wore this into the 42nd street location after it had just opened. Sales person asked me if it was a Hugo Boss? I politely responded no Richard Mille. Manager slightly more aware of the brand asked to take a look. He asked with that "moving thing" iS? I tried to explain what a tourbillon does.

Nice folks with varying degree of interest in watches, selling watches and customer service. Never anything worth buying and sometime humorously condescending.

While wearing a Platona and asking about the availability of a sub. "You may not be aware but Rolexes are hard to get". Sorry I was not aware:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_443.jpg (202.8 KB, 315 views)
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:16 AM   #36
snyde
"TRF" Member

Sounds like they aren’t compensated enough to really care. Not that it’s an excuse for poor behavior.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:17 AM   #37
snyde
"TRF" Member

Wow, clueless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Wore this into the 42nd street location after it had just opened. Sales person asked me if it was a Hugo Boss? I politely responded no Richard Mille. Manager slightly more aware of the brand asked to take a look. He asked with that "moving thing" iS? I tried to explain what a tourbillon does.

Nice folks with varying degree of interest in watches, selling watches and customer service. Never anything worth buying and sometime humorously condescending.

While wearing a Platona and asking about the availability of a sub. "You may not be aware but Rolexes are hard to get". Sorry I was not aware:)
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:34 AM   #38
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

hilarious
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:39 AM   #39
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Again...not a store for the WIS.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:00 AM   #40
cm10005
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
I’ve always had the opposite experience at the Tourneau in the Roosevelt Field Mall also in Long Island. I stopped going in yrs ago when ever time I walked in every salesperson would come directly up to me and ask if I needed help. I would reply that I was just looking to them follow me to each display case
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #41
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:

Quite the watch and a very funny story!

Glad my AD is the opposite. Very knowledgeable and very friendly. But as for the rest of them in my area it's as bad as the Tardneau stores.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:24 AM   #42
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Visiting friends in Long Island and we went to the local (nice) mall, I think it is in Huntington(?). Anyway I see a Tourn store, not expecting much, walked in.

Now my friend and I were in T-shirt’s and Shorts, (it was literally 97 degrees so everyone was dressed like that) I was wearing my DJ 41, my friend a Brietling.

It is about 6:00 in the evening, July 21st. I walk in, there are three “workers” One is by the front door, doesn’t acknowledge me but stares straight down at his cell phone. The second is behind the counter assisting a customer. The third is standing behind a another counter ALSO staring at his cell phone. My friend and I walk to the Rolex counter and star looking at the (not surprisingly) sparse display cases. We are talking about models
Aunt five minutes goes by but we still have not been acknowledged by anyone.

I started to approach the one behind the counter that had STILL not looked up from his cell phone to even acknowledge any sense of a customer on the store. When he saw m approaching, HE TURNED AND WALKS TO THE BACK OF THE STORE (closed door, employees only). I looked back at the first guy that was by the door looking at his cell phone. He actually walked OUT of the entire store, I think making a phone call. OKaaayyyy...

I was going to leave, pretty disgusted, when the lady finished with her customer and walked over to us. They had an AG Sky Dweller and I asked if I could see it. She was nice, said sure, and I put my DJ41 on the pad. She picked it up and said that’s a nice DJ2. I replied it was actually it was a DJ41. She said, and pretty much quote: Well it IS 41MM size but the model is called the DJ2. Now... the two look very similar, and to her credit, I mentioned the DJ41 had the new 3235 movement, she did acknowledge I was right. Then pointed out another difference in the bezel (also correct). It was like a challenge contest and she had to prove her superiority.

We talked a couple minutes but I was so turned off I really wasn’t listening and left.

I’m the way out, the (Big) has just returned to the store from his cell phone call and made the only acknowledgment I received from him: “Have a good evening” as I walked out. I never saw the smaller gentleman that disappeared in the back while still staring at his cell phone to avoid talking to me maybe he ran out the back door.

Pretty sad over all. I received better customer service from the Zen burger we had dinner at.
Was in the same store last week. 3 people working and 2 went into the back and the last salesperson was an older female who was in the phone with a customer trying to get them to open a Tourneau credit card to purchase a watch. Couldn’t hear what the customer said but based on her answers it must have been something about not needing or wanting it. Hen she tried telling him he could give him an additional percentage off. After a few more minutes back and forth she finally hung up with him and came over to me.
They had a SS Yachtmaster with rhodium dial. I asked to see it and she said “this is one of the hottest and hardest to get models”. I played dumb and was like I wanted something with a little color and a GMT model. She tried talking me out of them by saying GMTs are all being discontinued by next year, why would I want an older out of production model and tried pushing the YM on me. I then asked if she had anything in the vault/back and she said it was against Tourneau policy to hold watches in back. When they come in they are to inventory it and put them out.
I said ok I guess I’ll try later, said thank you and walked out. Because I didn’t buy anything She didn’t offer me a business card and didn’t even say goodbye.
liboozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:29 AM   #43
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
It is hit or miss. I am not shocked but you shouldn't be either paul.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:34 AM   #44
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
Was in the same store last week. 3 people working and 2 went into the back and the last salesperson was an older female who was in the phone with a customer trying to get them to open a Tourneau credit card to purchase a watch. Couldn’t hear what the customer said but based on her answers it must have been something about not needing or wanting it. Hen she tried telling him he could give him an additional percentage off. After a few more minutes back and forth she finally hung up with him and came over to me.
They had a SS Yachtmaster with rhodium dial. I asked to see it and she said “this is one of the hottest and hardest to get models”. I played dumb and was like I wanted something with a little color and a GMT model. She tried talking me out of them by saying GMTs are all being discontinued by next year, why would I want an older out of production model and tried pushing the YM on me. I then asked if she had anything in the vault/back and she said it was against Tourneau policy to hold watches in back. When they come in they are to inventory it and put them out.
I said ok I guess I’ll try later, said thank you and walked out. Because I didn’t buy anything She didn’t offer me a business card and didn’t even say goodbye.
This sounds exactly like the lady I was referring to.

I know it is wrong to stereotype, even a retailer, but I am trying to think of a time I had a good...interesting...relaxing....informative-no BS visit to any Turneou. ... ... ....

Nope, can’t think of one.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:35 AM   #45
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Both the Walt Whitman and Roosevelt Field Mall locations have the same awful manager, whose name I won’t post. The locations went down the tubes once she took over these locations.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #46
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

i went into the omega boutique on 5th because my dad's less than 1 year old watch had some power reserve issue and the guy started explaining how its an automatic watch and you need to wind it lol
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:12 AM   #47
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I always read these kind of stories and they always shock me. In my personal experience I have been to Tourneau a few times in Vegas and FWIW the sales people have always been nice to me. Trust me when I say this, every time I have been in there I haven’t dressed that nice lol.

I even spent time in the Patel section and the sales associate pulled out multiple pieces even after I told him that most of them were out of my range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:25 AM   #48
M45
Banned

Went to an AD in a big upscale mall when I picked up my wife's car from the body shop outside of Sac and asked the sales guy if they had anything interesting.

He said that they keep all the good stuff in the safe for "serious buyers only."

Wife was wearing her Everose DJ and I was wearing my Sub.

M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:30 AM   #49
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

So...what you wearing is not a Hugo Boss? Lol. I jest. :). Just bought 1, a Hugo boss that is
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 11:35 AM   #50
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
I used to be like you guys years ago. I would have all these expectations that the watch salesperson was a WIS too and we could talk all day about watches and it would fun.
I don’t expect a SA to be a watch geek. I don’t really want to talk watches with them all day. I do that with my friends. I could careless if they are wearing an iwatch, as long as they can answer my questions and be knowledgeable with the product they are trying to sell. I expect them to try and earn my business.

The problem is, and OP probably experienced this, the good SA’s are getting driven out of the market. They are getting replaced by former baristas and college students, who are just passing time. When display cases are empty it’s hard to make a live-able wage.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:02 PM   #51
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
I don’t expect a SA to be a watch geek. I don’t really want to talk watches with them all day. I do that with my friends. I could careless if they are wearing an iwatch, as long as they can answer my questions and be knowledgeable with the product they are trying to sell. I expect them to try and earn my business.

The problem is, and OP probably experienced this, the good SA’s are getting driven out of the market. They are getting replaced by former baristas and college students, who are just passing time. When display cases are empty it’s hard to make a live-able wage.
Depends on the AD. Plenty of large, well-established ADs out there that do not pay on commission. Don't believe me? Spend a little time on glassdoor and you can get a bit of insight on that depending on the AD and sample size of employee reviews. That being said, I have no clue what the pay structure is like at Tournaeu.

I don't need a sales person who is a total WIS and can talk watches with me for hours and hours. What I don't appreciate is the "pushy" sales tactics you might often see in other industries (think car dealerships) where anything and everything will be said to get a sale locked down on that visit. I've experienced this essentially every time I've visited a Tourneau and it's a far different experience from going to one of my own ADs. I vividly recall getting pressured pretty hard on a TT Sub and RG YM on OF on separate occasions at separate Tournaeu locations. One sales person at the SF boutique gave me her card after I looked at a Bluesy (was literally just killing time before meeting someone) and said to give her a call if I decide I want it, but that it's likely to be gone within an hour and it could easily be 6 months before they get another one. I don't need to be made to feel like I just struck gold any time I show interest in a particular piece and I am the luckiest guy for finding it at their store.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:05 PM   #52
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

Vegas has been a different story for me as well. It's not lack of knowledge, it's outright rudeness that gets me.
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:25 PM   #53
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Tourneau sucks....

I can't wait for Bucherer to gut the Tourneau franchise and instill some real watch buying experience, a proper business model, and real watch sales people

I walked into Tourneau on 57th one day... just checking out the Oris section for a gift to a family friend. Since i was there i stopped into the Rolex section. my SS daytona on my wrist.

SA: is that real?
me: as far as i know
SA: extremely hard to get watch, I'm surprised you have one

At this point i was thinking WTF?

me: well, it helps having $100 million dollars

momentary silence

me: thanks gotta go....

SA was speechless

HAHAHAHA
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:25 PM   #54
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Both the Walt Whitman and Roosevelt Field Mall locations have the same awful manager, whose name I won’t post. The locations went down the tubes once she took over these locations.
How long ago did she takeover?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:30 PM   #55
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfredericks View Post
Tourneau in Boston tried to sell me an early 90s 16610 that was visibly missing a gasket in the triplock. Rep said he didn’t think it had one to begin with. I said, “Ok. Pressure test it.” Of course, it failed. The manager said he would order me another one from another location right away! I hope they lose Rolex.
Yikes! Tourneau in Boston is usually nice...
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:32 PM   #56
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Tourneau sucks....

I can't wait for Bucherer to gut the Tourneau franchise and instill some real watch buying experience, a proper business model, and real watch sales people

I walked into Tourneau on 57th one day... just checking out the Oris section for a gift to a family friend. Since i was there i stopped into the Rolex section. my SS daytona on my wrist.

momentary silence

SA was speechless

HAHAHAHA
Quote:

I am stupefied.

Unbelievable rudeness.

Unbelievable ignorance, for someone so involved.

I want to go there now

ps another insane Bryant Park watch
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:35 PM   #57
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
As ridiculous as this may seem, the WIS is not Tourneau's target customer.

The majority of people who work there don't collect watches and don't think about them for even a second after they clock out. They couldn't care less.

The typical sales process for them involves a member of the general public stumbling into the store. They walk up to the counter and essentially say "Rolex Please"...

Then the SA will show them whatever is in the case, tell them how nice it looks, that they should treat themselves and these are quite rare and they should buy it now.

Then they might go over financing options and pitch the tourneau watch protection plan.

Next they swipe the customers credit card, package it up...see ya.

So, they really don't need to know all the minutiae that WIS obsess over. We aren't their target customer and in the end they just don't want to deal with us because there are easier fish to fry...

The reality of it is that they know just enough to sell the watch to people who don't know anything about them when they come in the store. That's good enough for them.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:39 PM   #58
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tourneau sucks....

momentary silence

SA was speechless

HAHAHAHA
lmao
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:39 PM   #59
brandog
Banned

I've been to that Tourneau, the goof by the door is actually security but dresses like a salesmen. Almost all Rolex AD's have door security and they typically ignore you as it must be an awful job.

That being said I've also experience a sense of superiority from other salesmen i've interacted with there. There inventory is always limited and they usually have more second hand Rolex's then new. Take a trip to NYC next time and checkout the new Husdon Yards Rolex AD. It's the biggest AD in New York I believe now.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 12:41 PM   #60
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tourneau sucks....

momentary silence

SA was speechless

HAHAHAHA

LMAO, that is BRILLIANT!
I can’t wait to try that line out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro