The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2014, 09:32 PM   #91
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
You sure do have a lot of comments on something you haven't used or seen yet... Unless you have, which I stand corrected. I think we need to see what all the hype is about before casting too many stones.

Side note, I learned a new term today "boondoggle". Thank you for that.
I've already bought into wearable tech on multiple front and found out how annoying the accessibility is; definitely not for me. If you've ever tried any sort of smart watch you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Like I said, boondoggle.

Judging from the Apple stock price and my companies stock price, I'm afraid that I'm not the only one with this opinion. Apple is one of the largest suppliers for Skyworks parts. Not a good result from Apples intro.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 11:58 PM   #92
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I've already bought into wearable tech on multiple front and found out how annoying the accessibility is; definitely not for me. If you've ever tried any sort of smart watch you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Like I said, boondoggle.

Judging from the Apple stock price and my companies stock price, I'm afraid that I'm not the only one with this opinion. Apple is one of the largest suppliers for Skyworks parts. Not a good result from Apples intro.
Should be...

Apple is one of the largest buyers for Skyworks parts. Not a good result from Apple's intro.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 12:10 AM   #93
FatsoNoMore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II/Cosmograph
My wrist will either have a Cosmograph or a GMT-II on it. On limited times, it will have a Garmin Forerunner® 310XT.

Just saying.
Old 11 September 2014, 03:04 AM   #94
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post

The aps (possibilities) are endless. Medical aps to monitor your health, detect disease in early stages, alarm aps to arm your home alarm systems, keyless aps to start your car, monitor car issues, repairs , track your kids with their watches, there is some serious money to be made here. Why not?
I've heard some pretty cool apps mentioned but still haven't heard any source mention an app that couldn't be available for your phone. And in fact even if the iphone had alll these cool apps you still need the phone for it to function.

Further still, even if the watch did function on it's own people would still prefer prefer the phone because it has serious inherent advantages over the watch.
Old 11 September 2014, 05:45 AM   #95
ndsleep612
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ex.2.
I can't wait for the tech hipsters to be whining about thieves stealing their I-watches off their wrists. The agony! the pretentious!
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 12:59 PM   #96
Nsx_23
"TRF" Member

Cheap submariners for everybody! Maybe I can finally get a 5517 lol.

Hodinkee did a great article on the apple watch - http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinke...e-watch-review
Nsx_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 01:37 PM   #97
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Is the Apple Watch really aimed at people like us? The Apple Watch is really aimed at the people who don't really care what's on their wrist... but they might if it's useful in their world. And Apple is desperately trying to make the wrist real estate useful in its world; there's a LOT of money to be had there. I think they nailed it.

From what I've seen on the Apple website (& read in Hodinkee) then Apple has made a superlative product, just one that I'd not likely buy (but I know a LOT of people who would). Remember that this is just the first iteration of the Apple Watch... stayed tuned. And also remember that with the 18k gold Apple Watch Apple has sent a clear long-distance warning shot across the bows of Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe, etc. They're safe for now, but for how long?

Apple watch is not really aimed at us, right now. I fully expect that one of my great grandchildren will be wearing my Polar Explorer & into the future & I doubt that ANY smart watch will ever fall into that category... different categories. The Apple Watch or any smart watch, smart phone, computer, etc from any company has obsolescence built into it. Not so a Rolex.

If I wore a Timex instead of a Rolex then I'd probably buy an Apple Watch & be very happy with it. But you can have my Rolex only when you pry it from my cold, dead wrist.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 04:26 PM   #98
Degas
"TRF" Member

A Watch Guy's Thoughts On The Apple Watch After Seeing It In The Metal

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinke...e-watch-review
Degas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 04:54 PM   #99
Nsx_23
"TRF" Member

I can see a few of my friends buying the Apple watch instead of, say, a seiko or tissot, but i don't think this will replace a rolex or a.lange in the near future for anyone into watches.

However, the Apple watch may lead to less young people being interested in mechanical watches if it takes off; unless they plan on carrying both around all the time and swapping between the two, the apple watch would dominate their wrist time if Apple's plan does take off and you can use the iwatch for tap-to-pay, opening hotel rooms, etc.
Nsx_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 05:04 PM   #100
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thanks for sharing. It is not for me however.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 05:10 PM   #101
francis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
." Seiko does offer some nice things at $349 or less, but again, they feel like they cost exactly what they do."
Not sure what he means by this... my skx007 and orange monster "feel" just like my smp 300 and 16610 and cost well below $349.00
francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 05:22 PM   #102
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Will be interesting to see how this product goes. The Hodinkee article is very good and couple of points resonate. The first is how the Apple watch is competing for real estate in category that is 150 years old. Very different to the phone category that was embryonic,

The second is the great job they have done with their straps. these are innovative and I wouldn't be surprised to see some traditional watch manufacturers adopt some of of the design principles. Let's be honest, spring bars are pain in the backside !!??

Would i buy one? Possible for fitness but thats about it.
Old 11 September 2014, 06:19 PM   #103
Miguel Alvarez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp2/Sub/DJ
A very well written article. I'd possibly buy one if I was younger but I have no real need to be attached to my phone in that way for work or personal life. It's not something for me.
Miguel Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 06:25 PM   #104
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 07:01 PM   #105
mike
"TRF" Member

Again non Rolex content posted in the correct forum.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 08:15 PM   #106
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Interesting read but I will not be getting one.
Old 12 September 2014, 01:03 AM   #107
Chelseafan
Banned

I was there too and handled it. I agree , the build quality is superb , it has the feel and solidity of an iPod classic etc. Functionality great and once third party apps become available will be also infinite. Also nice options to customize look too.

Would I have one...No.

I think anyone under 30 ( or 13 ) may like it...I think I would look a twit. Its just too brash and well , immature looking. I'd feel like a grown man wandering around with a play station under my arm or an adult wandering around with a vivid set of super sized headphones on my bonce. Nothing sophisticated about it at all. Its pure gadget. Going to look great with your hoody but after that...not sure. Lets see if it grows on me.

PS . I thought Tim Cooks ( who I do respect) delivery was very awkward and almost cringeworthy. He was obviously way out of his comfort zone. This is one area certainly they have not been able to replace Mr Jobs.

The phone...loved it! Build is again Awesome and design is again better than Samsung etc ( even though Apple are late getting this to market). I do have big concern here too. Battery life is only a tiny fraction better than the existing and this is a big issue. For professional use the battery life has been a long way behind rivals. This means after market extended life battery companies like Mophie have made a killing. Putting one of these on your new iPhone will make it bulky and spoils the design that is so intrinsic to the allure of Apple.

I hate to say this...overall impression from spending a day with apple...I am now concerned they will not be the genius they once were...I hope I'm wrong.
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2014, 02:04 AM   #108
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I'm gonna get one. Something to play with. Will I wear it to work or dinner? Of course not. Will I wear it around the house? Sure. There isn't anything wrong with it. For me, it doesn't displace our mechanical machines, it'll fit nicely where needed
Old 12 September 2014, 02:28 AM   #109
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Thinking of getting the Explorer II because everyone has a Sub?...You ain't seen nothing yet.
Old 12 September 2014, 04:13 AM   #110
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
if this is the sum total of AAPL's ability to innovate a new product, as oppose to simply warm over an existing AAPL product, then the company is squarely on the decline.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 06:27 AM   #111
Degas
"TRF" Member

Can Apple Disrupt The Luxury Watch Industry With A $10,000 Smartwatch

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen..._medium=social

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Degas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 06:31 AM   #112
Riva14
"TRF" Member

Interesting read!
Riva14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 06:37 AM   #113
Dvenus11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
dont know if i would pay $5,000 to $10,000 for the gold watch
Dvenus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 06:38 AM   #114
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

Bah! A $10,000 dollar gold watch that is obsolete in a year?
Old 20 September 2014, 06:41 AM   #115
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
They probably plan on updating the technology inside the case so you don't have to replace the watch every 2 years, but the way technology advances, I doubt they can do this for more than a couple years. At some point the technology will require a different kind of case. So I would not be a buyer.

Full disclosure: I own Apple stock.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 06:49 AM   #116
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I don't see it, even though $10K would be cheap for what we think of when we think gold watch.

First off, the useful life of the thing is maybe 2-3 years. Secondly that's a lot of money for a watch in which the battery has to be recharged at least daily. Third, and most important, it will never really compete as a luxury good so long as the company sells a $350 version of the same thing.
Old 20 September 2014, 06:50 AM   #117
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
They probably plan on updating the technology inside the case so you don't have to replace the watch every 2 years, but the way technology advances, I doubt they can do this for more than a couple years. At some point the technology will require a different kind of case. So I would not be a buyer.

Full disclosure: I own Apple stock.
Now way. Tech. is developing exponentially fast. Their target market will have to remain 3-400's, They will work in volume (quantity) not quality as it will be replaced every two years, access so. Now, if they should be able to figure out to produce w/o tethering to an iPhone....then they will really have something unique. the market is waiting this technology. There will be play space.

The fact is that this was a catch-up for Apple as others, namely Samsung have already been producing a tethered watch. Hence, this is not a new concept. Just healthy competition.

Another thing they could do is to produce just the case and strap of very high quality/precious metals and make the insides such that they can be tossed out in 2 years. Perhaps they are on to this already?
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 07:20 AM   #118
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Obsolete in the box. Then they will change the connectors in a few years so you will have to buy a new case. jmho
Old 20 September 2014, 07:24 AM   #119
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Agree. That is what my post said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Obsolete in the box. Then they will change the connectors in a few years so you will have to buy a new case. jmho
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 07:41 AM   #120
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty View Post
obsolete in the box. Then they will change the connectors in a few years so you will have to buy a new case. Jmho
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
agree. That is what my post said.
x 2 . . .
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote