The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 August 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
kanikune
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP '58
Rolex movement 1030 info needed

Hey all,
just purchased my first automatic and Rolex watch.
The watch is vintage '58 with caliber 1030 movement.
I thought, that if the crown is in the "adjust time" position, the second hand would stop. In this model it doesn't. Correct?

Edit-addition: non-date model and clockwise turning makes minute hand to go backwards.

Last edited by kanikune; 23 August 2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: add stuff
kanikune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
jedly1
"TRF" Member

That is correct , no hack feature on 1030 ... The hack was introduced towards end of 60's.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
kanikune
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP '58
Thanks a bunch. That makes my day :)
kanikune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 05:42 AM   #4
Melav8r
"TRF" Member

So why do the "Guarantee" certificates from as early as 1957 specify under the "INSTRUCTIONS" section?

"TO SYNCHRONIZE THE SECOND HAND

Pull out the winding-button as for hand setting. A very gentle pressure on the hand button, as though to turn the hands anti-clockwise, will stop the second-hand. Release pressure when synchronized. Then set minute- and hour-hands, moving the hands forward or clockwise only."

Mel

Last edited by Melav8r; 8 August 2016 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Typo
Melav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 05:54 AM   #5
Brianmac 883
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melav8r View Post
So why do the "Guarantee" certificates from as early as 1957 specify under the "INSTRUCTIONS" section?

"TO SYNCHRONIZE THE SECOND HAND

Pull out the winding-button as for hand setting. A very gentle pressure on the hand button, as though to turn the hands anti-clockwise, will stop the second-hand. Release pressure when synchronized. Then set minute- and hour-hands, moving the hands forward or clockwise only."

Mel
That is often called the "watchmaker's hack." You have to keep the counterclockwise pressure on the crown to keep the second hand from moving. On a movement with a true hacking feature, just pulling the crown out to set the time will stop the second hand with no counterclockwise pressure required.
Brianmac 883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Melav8r
"TRF" Member

....I have a 1957 cal 1030 and the "watchmaker's hack" doesn't work when my watch is wound up. It's sort of worked when the watch sat for a couple of days.
I've recently had the watch serviced and cleaned too.
Old 8 August 2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Melav8r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmac 883 View Post
That is often called the "watchmaker's hack." You have to keep the counterclockwise pressure on the crown to keep the second hand from moving. On a movement with a true hacking feature, just pulling the crown out to set the time will stop the second hand with no counterclockwise pressure required.
....I have a 1957 cal 1030 and the "watchmaker's hack" doesn't work when my watch is wound up. It's sort of worked when the watch sat for a couple of days.
I've recently had the watch serviced and cleaned too.
Old 8 August 2016, 12:16 PM   #8
drifter01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Air-King
Watchmaker's hack works well on some watches, partially on some and never on others. There is no guarantee it will work.

Dave
Ace of Clubs
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." - Hunter S. Thompson
drifter01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Melav8r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
Watchmaker's hack works well on some watches, partially on some and never on others. There is no guarantee it will work.
I agree, works well on my most of my vintage Seiko automatics when the power reserve is low but not too well on my Rolex cal 1030.
Old 8 August 2016, 02:34 PM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The situation is if the cannon pinion is adjusted correctly as I have mentioned before the watch will behave like the instructions are stated. Over time and through services the crimp in the pipe of the cannon pinion becomes less defined from setting the hands and also from removing the pinion from the center wheel in service. It has to be adjusted, i.e., the crimp increased again to grip the center wheel enough to catch hold the center wheel solid without clutching. The more tension on the mainspring the more difficult it is to stop the center wheel. What generally happens is, it doesn't get checked before installing the dial and hands. Then the movement gets cased and it's such a hassle to uncase and remove the dial and hands so that the cannon pinion can be removed and re crimped that watchmakers rationalize that it's a non hacking watch anyway and go on down the road. I have done that on one or 2 watches where it really wasn't going to be important. Mostly it drives me crazy and I do go back in and do that process as described above. Mostly I have made it a habit to check it before I begin to install the dial at full wind to make sure that the cannon pinion is tight enough to stop the works. That way...it's always hackable :-)

Good habits...are good habits.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 02:42 PM   #11
Melav8r
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation RWT!
I will mention this to my watchmaker and get him to adjust the crimp.
Cheers,
Mel