The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 November 2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Zenith 16520 A or P serial dilemma.

Greetings guys,

I’m on the lookout for a top top example 16520 Daytona (FULL SET) now I’ve been doing my research last few months and wanted to know the experts opinion on which would be better long term. Firstly if you had a choice of great example A or P serial white/black dial same condition which would you go for. From what I’ve seen there is a price difference of around $11k USD for a P serial as opposed to a same condition A serial. Is it worth paying more ??

Also another question a great example W serial with a patrizzi dial commands around the same price as the P serial is it worth getting one of those instead even though they are not as rare as the later A/P serials???

I wear my watches and real investment is enjoying it on the wrist and not looking for a safe piece.

Comments and advise would be most welcome..

Jetkopite
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2018, 11:50 PM   #2
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Don't know about desirability but I love the patrizzi dial. I've been looking hard at these lately.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 03:12 AM   #3
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Don't know about desirability but I love the patrizzi dial. I've been looking hard at these lately.
Yeah me too but so many baked dials out there that finding a genuine one is a headache
Old 8 November 2018, 08:32 AM   #4
athom
"TRF" Member

Of course the last series are not the most valuable but I didn't know that $11k could be enough for a 16520...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lifecycle.jpg (73.3 KB, 356 views)
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 09:35 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
Greetings guys,

I’m on the lookout for a top top example 16520 Daytona (FULL SET) now I’ve been doing my research last few months and wanted to know the experts opinion on which would be better long term. Firstly if you had a choice of great example A or P serial white/black dial same condition which would you go for. From what I’ve seen there is a price difference of around $11k USD for a P serial as opposed to a same condition A serial. Is it worth paying more ??

Also another question a great example W serial with a patrizzi dial commands around the same price as the P serial is it worth getting one of those instead even though they are not as rare as the later A/P serials???

I wear my watches and real investment is enjoying it on the wrist and not looking for a safe piece.

Jetkopite
Sets start in the $20,000 plus range. I would expect a nice watch that is a set would run around $24-$25,000 for a non-inverted 6 dial. Inverted 6 dials are priced higher, white dials are priced higher and "genuine" patrizzi black dials are higher. Tritium watches would also be higher priced than luminova sets.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 11:44 AM   #6
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea they should run around 25-28k....there’s one on sales corner for 47k lol...where the hell do these dealers pull these prices out from???? A hat with a rabbit or there A..hole????
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:15 AM   #7
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Greetings guys,

Jetkopite

The P is the last Zenith Daytona (2000). You can also find the P serial modern 4130 Daytona that have SWISS only on dial.

The price for the P Zenith Daytona has always been much higher than others; even the A series Daytona.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
The P is the last Zenith Daytona (2000). You can also find the P serial modern 4130 Daytona that have SWISS only on dial.

The price for the P Zenith Daytona has always been much higher than others; even the A series Daytona.
Thanks guys...

What would be more desirable longer term a nice patrizzi W serial or a P serial zenith.......???? There are many W patrizzi compared to a P so I’m guessing the P???
Old 11 November 2018, 03:26 AM   #9
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys...

What would be more desirable longer term a nice patrizzi W serial or a P serial zenith.......???? There are many W patrizzi compared to a P so I’m guessing the P???

If you are considering a Patrizzi, then you'd have to be real careful. I've seen a new breed of new sellers calling their Zenith Daytonas with lightly darker silver subdial Patrizzi Daytonas. I don't know if they are new and misinformed or just saying it in hope of getting more money for their watches...

If a watch subdials have not turned brown by now, it's not going to turn brown, ever....

As far as rarity, the P Zenith Daytona is definitely harder to find. That is why there is always a huge premium.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:50 PM   #10
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
If you are considering a Patrizzi, then you'd have to be real careful. I've seen a new breed of new sellers calling their Zenith Daytonas with lightly darker silver subdial Patrizzi Daytonas. I don't know if they are new and misinformed or just saying it in hope of getting more money for their watches...

If a watch subdials have not turned brown by now, it's not going to turn brown, ever....

As far as rarity, the P Zenith Daytona is definitely harder to find. That is why there is always a huge premium.
I agree these patrizzi dials are a real minefield. Any touch of brown is called patrizzi nowadays where infact proper patrizzi is a darkish rusty brown colour.
Old 12 November 2018, 04:27 PM   #11
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Hi Andy ,
Are you still flying that 777 ?

Have you considered a Early floating Porcelain 16520 ? . I am sure our man in NYC could help you out .

Ref the P series I did see one but will PM you ill have a quick look and get back to you

Paul
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:56 PM   #12
michael23
"TRF" Member

I love the Patrizzi dials as well.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote