The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #1
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Amazon HQ2 and 3 announced, NoVA (DC, MD area) and NY

When I heard that Amazon was looking for a new HQ I believed that the "DMV" (Dc, Md, Va area) was likely going to be the landing spot with Montgomery County, MD or NoVA being the top landing spots for various reasons.

Today it was just announced 2 new HQs one in NY and one in NoVA. I don't have the projections but I heard someone suggest each office could employ 2500 people making 6 figures or more which is an important economic driver.

Any thoughts?

Reference: https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...d=hp_lead_pos1
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:13 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'm torn. On the one hand I love Amazon and use it frequently.

But on the other hand, companies getting too big and powerful is rarely good in the overall picture. It started with Walmart coming into towns and decimating the downtown businesses and eventually turning many into virtual ghost towns. Then the supposed job creation was all minimum wages. On top of that all the profit left town as opposed to being circulated throughout the town as it was previously.

Amazon now carries on the same type of enterprise only online and delivery companies.

I don't understand the long term economics of one company becoming so powerful and I sort of fear what is on the horizon with them.

As for where the warehouses are located it doesn't affect me but I doubt the jobs are much more than minimum wage.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:16 AM   #3
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Thank God it ain't Boston.
I'm also unimpressed with a company becoming so big that it gets to do what it wants (hello Amazon). As with everything, there needs to be a balance (which there currently is not).
Old 14 November 2018, 04:18 AM   #4
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Also - there are many complexities to the issue (hello rent hikes, etc). I lived in Seattle when Amazon developed the hell out of itself - and there are good and bad sides to the story.
Old 14 November 2018, 04:37 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Perhaps it should also be illegal for towns and cities to give any kind of tax incentives to companies for locating in their areas. This would stop the games that Amazon has been playing while picking it's locations.

Giving benefits to the richest corporations who can most afford to pay their taxes is basically unfair to other business and can in fact cause tax increases to the local populations.
Old 14 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #6
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm torn. On the one hand I love Amazon and use it frequently.

But on the other hand, companies getting too big and powerful is rarely good in the overall picture. It started with Walmart coming into towns and decimating the downtown businesses and eventually turning many into virtual ghost towns. Then the supposed job creation was all minimum wages. On top of that all the profit left town as opposed to being circulated throughout the town as it was previously.

Amazon now carries on the same type of enterprise only online and delivery companies.

I don't understand the long term economics of one company becoming so powerful and I sort of fear what is on the horizon with them.

As for where the warehouses are located it doesn't affect me but I doubt the jobs are much more than minimum wage.
Interesting thoughts. Wal Mart competed on costs, they brought very little technological innovation to the (although their efficiency was impressive). Amazon develops quite a bit and is in multiple areas which may speak to your point. I spend time at a couple of locations on the Eastern Shore and they are remote, it has changed my life being able to order a boat fuel pump, or specific coffee and get it there within a day or two, as well as being able to stream movies on the boat, etc.

These two locations are not warehouses, they are development headquarters "HQ2." I would describe the jobs as "white collar" but I don't think many developers actually wear button up shirts.

The rents and housing is not cheap in that area, but I'm sure it will climb.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:00 AM   #7
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Also - there are many complexities to the issue (hello rent hikes, etc). I lived in Seattle when Amazon developed the hell out of itself - and there are good and bad sides to the story.
I think NYC and DMV/NoVA have a diverse economy and are fairly built up with high rents and property pricing already largely factored in. Do you think it will move the needle in areas with already high rents like NYC?
Old 14 November 2018, 05:07 AM   #8
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps it should also be illegal for towns and cities to give any kind of tax incentives to companies for locating in their areas. This would stop the games that Amazon has been playing while picking it's locations.

Giving benefits to the richest corporations who can most afford to pay their taxes is basically unfair to other business and can in fact cause tax increases to the local populations.
I've read that not only will they get a 1.2 Billion tax break, but almost a billion more in grants and another 200 million in infrastructure improvement. Seems like these towns not only welcome the big guys that dry them up, but they roll out the red carpet for them as well.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:21 AM   #9
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I've read that not only will they get a 1.2 Billion tax break, but almost a billion more in grants and another 200 million in infrastructure improvement. Seems like these towns not only welcome the big guys that dry them up, but they roll out the red carpet for them as well.
Agreed. Objective research has shown time and time again that these types of tax breaks and financial incentives don't end up helping the cities much. Though, for some reason, cities still engage in them time and time again.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:23 AM   #10
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I think NYC and DMV/NoVA have a diverse economy and are fairly built up with high rents and property pricing already largely factored in. Do you think it will move the needle in areas with already high rents like NYC?
Remains to be seen. I believe i read an article earlier in the WSJ regarding speculators looking to enter Long Island real estate as of this morning :)
Old 14 November 2018, 05:23 AM   #11
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Beware geeks bearing gifts.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:49 AM   #12
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Not happy about this, tbh.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 05:52 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Thank God it ain't Boston.
I'm also unimpressed with a company becoming so big that it gets to do what it wants (hello Amazon). As with everything, there needs to be a balance (which there currently is not).
x2.

I suspect Boston was out once Amazon got a feeling for our roads and transit system.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 08:01 AM   #14
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
x2.

I suspect Boston was out once Amazon got a feeling for our roads and transit system.
I imagine Amazonians would not be happy with the green line
Old 14 November 2018, 09:13 AM   #15
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...m?srnd=opinion
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I grew up in the Long Island City area, and my elderly father still lives there. What was once all manufacturing plants (and at night, a stroll for women of ill repute) has become high rises and coffee bars. It is unbelievable what has happen in that area! The older folks, such as my Dad, all complain about the influx of the "new breed". But what was once a very blue collar, immigrant based neighborhood, has taken on a whole new look.

The very small row house my parents bought in 1973 for 27,000, is currently worth in excess of 1,000,000 and climbing.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish that I had invested in some real estate locally when I was a younger man.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Romeojk
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
There are good and bad points but I wouldn't mind working there. I imagine it'd be a lot of fun and good camaraderie in a new office with mostly new people. Exciting times!

Think of this for a neighborhood, 2,500 jobs X $100,000 = $250 million in salaries in the close proximity.

Maybe it's time to open an AD across the street from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:54 AM   #18
theloxmyth
Banned

Apparently, they've all the $150,000/year peeps en mass?
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 01:00 PM   #19
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Bet amazon got a lot of good data out of these “proposals” that these cities had to submit to be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 11:58 PM   #20
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
There are good and bad points but I wouldn't mind working there. I imagine it'd be a lot of fun and good camaraderie in a new office with mostly new people. Exciting times!

Think of this for a neighborhood, 2,500 jobs X $100,000 = $250 million in salaries in the close proximity.

Its 25,000 jobs not 2500.

Edit: I saw another source that said its 2500 new jobs each year for a decade. Probably what you were referencing.
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:31 AM   #21
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post

I'd take a vague guess and say most of them would wear Apple watches
Old 15 November 2018, 04:52 AM   #22
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Its 25,000 jobs not 2500.

Edit: I saw another source that said its 2500 new jobs each year for a decade. Probably what you were referencing.
I believe he was quoting me. I heard a projection that 5k of the hq2 jobs would be highly compensated employees, I divided the number in two for two HQs.
Old 15 November 2018, 06:40 AM   #23
Blacktocomm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd take a vague guess and say most of them would wear Apple watches
I think a fair amount of them do, but there is also a huge watch community inside of Amazon and I have seen some mind blowing pieces while visiting their offices.

Quote:
These two locations are not warehouses, they are development headquarters "HQ2." I would describe the jobs as "white collar" but I don't think many developers actually wear button up shirts.
This is exactly true. These HQ's will have a very base crew of support staff, but mostly be professional workers/developers. The salary for a "lowly" L5 SDE at Amazon is 135-ish base, 25ish sign-on, and probably 40RSU.

I also imagine when they say highly compensated workers they are speaking of L7 and above. Which is MUCH deeper into six figures than the 100k estimate thrown out above.
Blacktocomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:56 AM   #24
leooooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Perhaps it should also be illegal for towns and cities to give any kind of tax incentives to companies for locating in their areas.
Dont think it's a city thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/u...land-city.html

Sounds like a federal thing
Old 15 November 2018, 08:08 AM   #25
breitlings
Banned

VA Tech announces $1B North Campus ~ 2 miles from HQ2 in Crystal City. https://wtkr.com/2018/11/13/virginia...-hq2-decision/
Old 16 November 2018, 01:09 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
When I heard that Amazon was looking for a new HQ I believed that the "DMV" (Dc, Md, Va area) was likely going to be the landing spot with Montgomery County, MD or NoVA being the top landing spots for various reasons.

Today it was just announced 2 new HQs one in NY and one in NoVA. I don't have the projections but I heard someone suggest each office could employ 2500 people making 6 figures or more which is an important economic driver.

Any thoughts?

Reference: https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...d=hp_lead_pos1
“Could”.

My only thought.

Congrats to Jeff.

Well played sir, well played.

My only comment.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 02:47 AM   #27
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

See Tencent and Alibaba as canaries in the coal mine. Strong earnings on virtual side, lower results in hard product sales.

Amazon has a unique model in US but it is replicable elsewhere. Hopefully the 2 new HQ’s can work seamlessly with Home HQ to create synergies not otherwise attainable from a single campus a’la Apple.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:28 AM   #28
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
See Tencent and Alibaba as canaries in the coal mine. Strong earnings on virtual side, lower results in hard product sales.

Amazon has a unique model in US but it is replicable elsewhere. Hopefully the 2 new HQ’s can work seamlessly with Home HQ to create synergies not otherwise attainable from a single campus a’la Apple.

I believe Amazon does quite a bit of defense contracting and is positioning to do more, DMV is a perfect fit.

Amazon earnings have been strong for a long time. The profits are lower than many anticipate because they reinvest at a higher rate than most investors are used to for their vertical.

IMHO if you really dig into their capabilities it is incredible and is far beyond two-day delivery. They are perhaps the most underestimated and misunderstood company in the world. Just my opinion as a tech guy watching on the sidelines.
Old 16 November 2018, 03:55 AM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Like the traffic in Northern Virginia isn't bad enough already. What a nightmare. More reason why I stay north of the Potomac as much as possible.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 05:22 AM   #30
Blacktocomm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I think a heavy amount of the HQ NoVA work will be done in regards to the AWS government contracts. Very little reliance on hard goods for AWS contracts.

I also imagine HQ NY will be focused on having AWS representation closer to Wall Street instead of worrying about hard goods.

It will be exciting to see how/if they split the responsibility for the headquarters and what happens.
Blacktocomm is offline   Reply With Quote