The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Too many?

What is the right number of Rolexes to have? It is obviously an individual decision, but one I've started to wrestle with. I've been a one Rolex person for almost 20 years. I now have the means and desire for that to change. I'm afraid though, once I pass a certain number a collection will turn into a burden.

Personally I love the GMT and have had a SS one on my wrist for quite awhile. I now want a gold one. The OCD part of my brain has me convinced to also by a TT so the collection is complete and there isn't one "missing". I also need a dress watch as I have found myself in the unusual position of having to wear a suit or even a tuxedo a couple times a month. While I agree a tuxedo should normally be worn with no watch, the events I go to it would be fine. So I need a DD. Much of my free time is spent in the woods hiking, riding dirt bikes with my kids, hunting etc so it turns out I also need an Explorer 1 as a beater watch.

Despite almost two decades of surviving with only one Rolex, it turns out I actually "need" five. I like to plan, probably too much. As I build out a collection I want to move in a focused direction and not end up with too many.

How many watches starts to be burdensome for a normal person?
Angrypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

I just ordered a mid size datejust for my wife from DavidSW. Her watches are her problem, so they don't get included in the total count.
Old 12 March 2013, 04:49 AM   #3
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
I would think it's a personal choice. How many is too many? I think the question is when does one have enough?
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 04:53 AM   #4
JilzVT
"TRF" Member

To me, it depends if you're wearing them or not. Once I have a watch I haven't worn in 6 months, up for sale it goes. Long as you're wearing it, keep it.
JilzVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 04:55 AM   #5
lja1821
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613ln
If you have the means and can afford it, the number of watches you own is entirely up to you. As far as burdensome i would say in your case all your watches would be new so maintenance wouldnt be a factor until later which alleviates alot of the burdens of owning multiple watches.All the watches you listed are gorgeous however i would choose the dd because it is just such an iconic rolex watch. Wants and needs, really knows how to play those mind games. Good luck, cheers..
lja1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 04:55 AM   #6
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Do service costs also play on your mind with a big collection???

I would like to think 4 is over the top for me personally but prob a figure that I will settle with (one a week to wear etc)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:05 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Sounds like you need three Rolexes 1) DD in WG for a more under the radar look, 2) YG GMTIIc for a sporty look, and 3) Explorer I as a tool watch.

I think four is right for me. 1) WG Sub for under radar, 2) YG GMTIIc for above radar, 3) DD2 dressy/casual, 4) steel watch for tool.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:05 AM   #8
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Do service costs also play on your mind with a big collection???

I would like to think 4 is over the top for me personally but prob a figure that I will settle with (one a week to wear etc)
Service cost and insurance both are a factor. Not a deal breaker, I'm just cheap.
Old 12 March 2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Sounds like you need three Rolexes 1) DD in WG for a more under the radar look, 2) YG GMTIIc for a sporty look, and 3) Explorer I as a tool watch.

I think four is right for me. 1) WG Sub for under radar, 2) YG GMTIIc for above radar, 3) DD2 dressy/casual, 4) steel watch for tool.

I think you are right when you say three.

I'm not giving up my SS GMT. It's been with me too long. I held both my sons for the first time wearing that watch, I got married in it, and have flown thousands of miles as an airline pilot wearing it. It has tenure.

A YG GMT and a PT DD are the way for me to go. That is what I have been leaning towards, but this forum has gotten in my brain.
Old 12 March 2013, 05:22 AM   #10
FLY-DOG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1991 Submariner
For your dress watch I'd lean towards an Air-King with a white or silver dial with baton markers or a nice Cellini. Either one on an upscale alligator leather band would look good with a suit or tuxedo.
FLY-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:25 AM   #11
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Sounds like you were perfectly happy with one sport model Rolex as you have just one for such a long time. One dress watch for suit days and lay down until the urge goes away to buy multiple watches. If you want another six months down the road, go for it.

I have two Rolexes and six nice watches altogether. This many is likely for the collector, serious enthusiast, slightly "touched". I have to really work hard at keeping it down to six or seven.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:25 AM   #12
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I'm looking at three right now (GMT Pepsi just acquired, INCOMING), and am thinking a a DJII (White Gold, Fluted Bezel) will close it out for the time being (at least I hope). Although I love the DD, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a watch of that caliber in my life right now. I guess a 16610LV would be nice too, just to spice up things once in a while, but if I can't get a STEAL of a deal, it isn't going to happen for me.

But in all, it's personal preference really, but 4 for me is cool. Most are tool watches due to my profession, and the DJII for those events where I have to dress it up, which is about once a month.
Old 12 March 2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Wllnv19
"TRF" Member

I own 7 and feel I own 3 too many problem is I like them all,it's just hard to wear them all. Been wrestling with the idea of trading 2 or 3.
Wllnv19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Enough that when you rotate them, it seems like a new watch.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:42 AM   #15
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY-DOG View Post
For your dress watch I'd lean towards an Air-King with a white or silver dial with baton markers or a nice Cellini. Either one on an upscale alligator leather band would look good with a suit or tuxedo.

I actually like the Air-king a lot, but I don't think it's the watch for me.

When I'm put on a suit now I wear a Movado on a black leather band. My grandfather bought it when he came back from WWII. He passed it on to my father when I was born and my dad gave it to me in the 90s.

I still think I want a DD though. It's going to be my old man watch.
Old 12 March 2013, 05:46 AM   #16
Len
"TRF" Member

I like sports models and I dont think I will have more than four. I have an 5513 matte dial, gmt II pepsi, sub 16610lv and SD 16600. I Wear them In rotation. To get another one I would sell one.... but I like them all so for now I am fine. But there is always one out there that I would like to have.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 05:51 AM   #17
jay1988
"TRF" Member

I think you can have too many. Despite what many on this forum will say.

There comes a point when a watch will just spend most of its life in a box.

It very much depends on who you are. I know some people that just wear a watch a day. I also know some that can change their watch 3-4 times a day. I know someone who once wore a Rolex 16570 for the gym in the morning, then a Patek for work and finally put his Nautilus on when he come home for the evening. He does something similar and on weekends can wear up to 4 day because he's anal about having the right watch for a situation.

I will never own more than 14 watches, no matter how wealthy I become. 2 beaters, 4 SS sports, 2 Rose gold sport, 3 Rose gold dress and 3 platinum/WG dress.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Deego
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD , DJII , YMII
I have a datejust 2 tt and a deepsea... love them both but i think a nice gold watch (one day down the road) will make me feel very content but that one will have to wait for a while!!!
Deego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

I'm working towards a collection of seven. (Not all Rolex) it's a very long term goal, very long term..
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Whatever is the right number of Rolexes for you, good luck then figuring out which other brands to try.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 09:23 AM   #21
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
It's 3 for me! A daily beater/work watch, a weekend leisure watch and a dress watch.
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 09:55 AM   #22
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Too many is a relative question to each person. Each has a number in mind others just love expanding their collection. I own 13 Rolex watches and I use them all. I change watches as frequent as every other day to as infrequent as once a week but all get in as part of the rotation. I have favorites but I find that the variety helps to keep things fresh for me. I have thought of reducing my collection and I have considered adding to my collection. I would say my collection would be complete with 3 more(ExpII, Subc in SS and possibly a Milgauss). I was a once rolex man for close to 20 years but as I became successful my collection grew. There are times that I feel I don't need this many but when I look at which one I would get rid of.........I can't do it. Plus, it does not hurt my savings, 401K or investments. In fact, many are worth more that I bought them for so I am happy with my collection. If I had to I could live with 4 or 5.

If it does not hurt you financially then do what you want as you can't take money for possessions with you after leave this world. Enjoy your life, live to be the best you can and buy what makes you happy.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 10:04 AM   #23
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Have 4 Rolex, 1 Breitling. I could see picking up a few more Rolex, a JLC Master Compressor, and someday at Patek.

Every once and awhile I blow things up and start over, but like the core of my collection for now.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 10:13 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Six is the magic number: 2 SS tool, 2 SS-PCL-TT for a slightly dressier look, and two full gold.

Or three, one of each.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 10:27 AM   #25
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypuppy View Post
What is the right number of Rolexes to have?

Next question

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Next question
That can no possibly be right, it does not seem near enough. My fear is this over time turns into a current collection + 1=best number.
Old 12 March 2013, 11:08 AM   #27
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
That can no possibly be right, it does not seem near enough. My fear is this over time turns into a current collection + 1=best number.
Can happen if you let it. You will find that in most cases, you will be able to say when enough is enough.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Tiampuso

Thats like asking how many girlfriends is too many.

Is there really a limit?
Tiampuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 11:30 AM   #29
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
This is hard to answer. It depends on the person and their needs and or wants. Sounds like you have a few new incoming watches. Good luck with your search.
Quote:
What is the right number of Rolexes to have? How many watches starts to be burdensome for a normal person?
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 12:41 PM   #30
GMT2crazy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Pepsi
Personally, I don't think two is that crazy - I have a SS GMT2 and after I finish school the only other Rolex I'll add will be a PT DD. For your outdoor needs though, I think 3 would be your magic number (adding that explorer).
GMT2crazy is offline   Reply With Quote