The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2013, 11:06 PM   #31
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

The Explorer has a very subtle design, which does not draw much attention. It's a modest 36-39mm, has only brushed ss links, a matte dial, no cyclops, and no crown guards.

I must say most non-WIS would not recognize it as a Rolex. However, I believe they would all think it was a nice looking watch. Which is why I like the Explorer. It's a simple, nice looking watch with an amazing movement inside and a bit of history behind the model.

To the OP, I can understand your question...you make a substantial purchase on the most widely recognized brand in the world and feel pride in ownership. But people will notice the Explorer as a well made watch, maybe just not a Rolex...until they lean in and get a surprise.

You wear the Explorer, while other models in the Rolex collection wear you.
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

C'mon folks, A Rolex looks like a Rolex!!!!! period.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 01:55 AM   #33
The Godzilla

the OP started another thread asking whether an Explorer I suit his age of 21 and here he started a thread asking opinion whether an Explorer I not looking like a Rolex?

seems like he wanted us to convince him that an Explorer I indeed look like a Rolex and by the age of 21 the Explorer I suit his age.

if want Rolex looking like a Rolex go get a TT DJ, people can recognized it 2 miles away.
The Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 02:21 AM   #34
watchseeker11201
"TRF" Member

All you need to know is what suits you best. I wear an explorer 1 because the understated elegance epitomizes me best. Not everyone looks to be defined by other peoples' perceptions.
watchseeker11201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 02:27 AM   #35
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

For me, it's a "stealth" Rolex. Nobody (except us WIS folks) will know that it's a Rolex. I wear it and nobody notices it, which is a plus for me.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 02:48 AM   #36
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Personally I wear my watches for me, nobody else
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 02:59 AM   #37
sekesq
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ TOG, OP34 white
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1988 View Post
" We buy Rolexes because we want people to see we wear them and be noticed "

Speak for yourself. Many people I know don't have that approach.
x 2!
sekesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 03:12 AM   #38
w-v-m

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam112 View Post
How is that an advantage??? We buy Rolexes because we want people to see we wear them and be noticed (besides the great quality of course). But let's face it, if it's quality only, you could have bought Omega or Breitling for half the price as an example. We buy Rolex because it is a.....ROLEX!

So why would some people like the idea that the explorer I doesn't look like a Rolex? I want it to look like one!
I bought my Rolex without giving a monkeys' about what people thought about me wearing it.
So far , in 6 months, it may have been noticed , but only one young lad has mentioned it, and in 15 years of wearing my Omega Seamaster, only one person ever mentioned it.
w-v-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 03:14 AM   #39
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I might be dumb but what does WIS stand for?

As for the OP.. If you buy high ticket items just to show them off, I take it as you want people to be jealous of you. People buy BMWs because they are fine machines, just using the brand as an example, and others buy them just because they're expensive. As I've roamed this forum, it appears to me that many members are actually enthusiasts of the brand and they don't just own them because they are expensive and want to show up their friends. That sort of mentally is just plain bad for society. Don't buy something because you want to show off, buy it because you truly enjoy it.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 03:31 AM   #40
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How is that an advantage??? We buy Rolexes because we want people to see we wear them and be noticed (besides the great quality of course). But let's face it, if it's quality only, you could have bought Omega or Breitling for half the price as an example. We buy Rolex because it is a.....ROLEX!

So why would some people like the idea that the explorer I doesn't look like a Rolex? I want it to look like one!
Seriously dude, if you bought a Rolex to get noticed you wasted $10 large. I've worn Rolexes for 20+ years and can count on one hand the number of times someone has noticed my watch. If you want to get noticed blow your money on a cool car.

I've zero interest in being noticed by other guys and many of us are married so likewise attracting the attention of women is not the purpose. Besides, the first thing they notice is my receding hair line and paunch around my waist and no watch can overcome that anyway.
Old 13 March 2013, 03:42 AM   #41
FLY-DOG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1991 Submariner
WIS

Short definition: "Watch Nerd", or "Master of Minutiae" (my definitions)

Long definition (Found on WEB):

WIS, W.I.S. or Watch Idiot Savant, Defined:

Basically it means Watch Idiot Savant.

Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary defines ‘Idiot Savant’ as:

One entry found for idiot savant.

Main Entry: idiot sa·vant
Pronunciation:
'E-"dyO-sä-'vän, or same as IDIOT and savant for respective singular and plural forms
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural idiots savants /-"dyO-sä-'vän(z)/; or idiot savants /-'vän(z)/
Etymology: French, literally, learned idiot
Date: 1927
1 : a mentally defective person who exhibits exceptional skill or brilliance in some limited field
2 : a person who is highly knowledgeable about one subject but knows little about anything else

So a Watch Idiot Savant basically is someone who is exceptionally skilled, brilliant or knowledgeable about Watches but is particularly worthless in most if not all other topics. If you remember back to the movie “Rain Man” starring Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman played Raymond Babbitt an Idiot Savant who can count cards at a BlackJack table, tell you the weather on any day for the past forty years, quote accident rates for all forms of transportation methods, knows the entire phone book past the D's anyway, and is ‘an excellent driver’. Hoffman even won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for his portrayal... So a Watch Idiot Savant is essentially the same thing except about watches.

Now there are subclasses of WIS's as well. Since one's watch collecting focus might be Chronographs, one could apply the CIS or Chronograph Idiot Savant label to that person, etc.
FLY-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 03:56 AM   #42
pk_diver
"TRF" Member

Watch: the stars
Quote:
We buy Rolexes because we want people to see we wear them and be noticed
We?

sorry pal, but i don't think so. If you do, probably the Explorer is not your watch, as it is one of the less expensive. You need something more dear if you don't want to have an inferiority complex when you meet a guy wearing a Sub.

The explorer is the dean of the professional line, imho it's more Rolex than any other Rolex, btw, even if the average Joe doesn't recognize it.
pk_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 04:00 AM   #43
HongNinja
Banned

Watch: 228238, 114060
Wrong attitude for the peeps around these parts. Most everyone around here appreciates Rolex for much more then the name. In fact that's the last thing most of us care about. In fact, I'd rather Rolex be an "under the radar" brand then where they are at now, but that's what you get when you are one of the most beloved brands out there.

If you're in it for the sole purpose of "people noticing you" then I REALLY hope you don't buy a Rolex.....
HongNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 04:31 AM   #44
astrazen
"TRF" Member

You seem like pr**k.
astrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 04:36 AM   #45
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1988 View Post
" We buy Rolexes because we want people to see we wear them and be noticed "

Speak for yourself. Many people I know don't have that approach.
Indeed. Total crap.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 04:56 AM   #46
hosam112
Banned

Thanks to everyone who contributed in a nice way. I was just saying my opinion and me saying that the Rolex Explorer doesn't look like a Rolex and asking if that's true to you is because I have seen others here and in other forums mentioning that it is the last of Rolex to be recognized as one. It wasn't just an assumption I made.

I have no idea why some people have to be rude. I said "we" speaking for the people who believe the same as me, not you and not everybody else. I respect everyone's opinion.

As a college student who probably can afford just one watch now, I want it to be noticed and I go to college where curiosity hit the max and students like to notice things on each other. If I was using it purely for work, I could careless.

Rolex is a great brand of course but also I'm buying it to stand out from the crowd, sorry if that bothers you!
hosam112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:09 AM   #47
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrazen View Post
You seem like pr**k.
That is totally not cool and uncalled for.

This forum is about sharing thoughts and ideas.

It is typically safe from this type of attack and judgement.

Shame on you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:13 AM   #48
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

And the vast majority, not all of course, but many of you are full of it.

Get off the high horse people. There are a tons of exceptional watch companies out there that are off the grid.

Wether you admit it or not, or notice or not, people do see and notice your rolex

Deal with it.

Old 13 March 2013, 05:23 AM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

And you know what fellas, your attacking a college kid living in NYC because he wants to stand out a bit. I'm embarrassed at some of your comments.

And a comment stating your opinion is very different from an attack. You know who you are and you too should be ashamed of yourselves.

Old 13 March 2013, 05:37 AM   #50
Stuxnet
Banned

Quote:

Welcome to TRF.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:38 AM   #51
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
All Rolex watches look like Rolex watches.
Old 13 March 2013, 05:42 AM   #52
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Name calling is completely out if line, people buy for different reasons. You or I might disagree with some of these reasons but the popularity keeps the secondhand market strong which we all appreciate.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:43 AM   #53
Lisa
"TRF" Member

What a dumb thread.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:44 AM   #54
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

If you want a Rolex that typically doesn't look like the "status symbol" Rolex, then buy a Cellini. You will have the heritage and its still a genuine Rolex.

Rolex is a Rolex, I celebrate wealth and peoples accomplishments in life be it monetarily or spiritually so good for them. I have no issues with the baggage that comes with the "status symbol". Its only a status symbol if you dont own one. Around here you are just one of the guys.
Old 13 March 2013, 05:50 AM   #55
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I don't know, but does this one looks like a Rolex?

stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:50 AM   #56
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who contributed in a nice way. I was just saying my opinion and me saying that the Rolex Explorer doesn't look like a Rolex and asking if that's true to you is because I have seen others here and in other forums mentioning that it is the last of Rolex to be recognized as one. It wasn't just an assumption I made.

I have no idea why some people have to be rude. I said "we" speaking for the people who believe the same as me, not you and not everybody else. I respect everyone's opinion.

As a college student who probably can afford just one watch now, I want it to be noticed and I go to college where curiosity hit the max and students like to notice things on each other. If I was using it purely for work, I could careless.

Rolex is a great brand of course but also I'm buying it to stand out from the crowd, sorry if that bothers you!
If that's the case, you indeed would be better off with something like a Sub or DJ instead of an Exp1. But I still caution you against spending a lot of money on a Rolex for that purpose because you might be disappointed and out a bunch of cash in the process. Generally speaking, they are not noticed all that much, except by other Rolex owners.

Although, a young person with any watch is noticeable these days. Given that, your peers might be more impressed with the new Pebble watch than a Rolex.
Old 13 March 2013, 05:57 AM   #57
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What do you think a Rolex looks like? Explorer is definitely the look of a Rolex.
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 05:57 AM   #58
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I don't buy my watches to show them off...
Old 13 March 2013, 06:31 AM   #59
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Quote:
The idea that the Explorer I doesn't look like a Rolex is a spurious idea. So the thread premise is defective.

Next.
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 07:18 AM   #60
mbkmbk
"TRF" Member

I would actually disagree with your original post. Everyone will have their own opinion on this specific subject.

I actually hide my 1680 under my sleeve when I wear it. I don't want the average guy on the street to see it, because of my age (teen) and the fact that I am 5'2". I wouldn't feel safe having it out. I do though show it off when I go into any upscale establishment, in order for the employees to take me seriously.

I believe that the Explorer is one of the greatest watch that Rolex has made. As others have said, it has it all! History, styling, elegance, sturdiness, etc, etc. If the 214270 wasn't a bit too big for me, I would be wearing one right now!
mbkmbk is offline   Reply With Quote