The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 August 2016, 08:18 AM   #1
joeylim
"TRF" Member

Opinions on this 1680 Submariner?

Hi guys,

Once again I'm in a situation where passing up a deal maybe blasphemous, so I wanted to see how others thought of it. The condition looks amazing for how old it is, 5.4 mil serial dating back to 1977, and everything is original. unfortunately, the bracelet was sold separately, so it'll come with a vintage tuscan leather strap. Oh and any idea on what dial variation this is? I was thinking Mk I, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope to hear what you guys think :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg main.jpeg (33.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpeg main (1).jpeg (63.7 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpeg main (2).jpeg (41.6 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9942.jpg (55.5 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9941.jpg (54.8 KB, 252 views)
joeylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 08:38 AM   #2
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 7016, 94010
Original Rolex, yes. Original to the watch, no. Service crystal, crown and insert/pearl for sure. Lugs aren't too bad but the guards are a bit soft in my opinion. I may be wrong, but looks like a mark 3 dial to me. Position of the L is off to the left where it should be more centered on a MK1.
jdog111578 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 09:11 AM   #3
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog111578 View Post
Original Rolex, yes. Original to the watch, no. Service crystal, crown and insert/pearl for sure. Lugs aren't too bad but the guards are a bit soft in my opinion. I may be wrong, but looks like a mark 3 dial to me. Position of the L is off to the left where it should be more centered on a MK1.
It does look like a MK 3.
I wonder how you can tell it is a service crown?
I know that late 70s should have the three dots meaning it is a trip lock crown.

How did you know it was service?

Thanks I just try to learn something new.
xeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 09:15 AM   #4
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeal View Post
It does look like a MK 3.
I wonder how you can tell it is a service crown?
I know that late 70s should have the three dots meaning it is a trip lock crown.

How did you know it was service?

Thanks I just try to learn something new.
The 703 crown, which would have replaced the 702 crown on there, has the same 3 dots and is still 7mm wide crown, is thicker and has less of a bevel on the inner side that meets the case tube.
Old 8 August 2016, 01:55 PM   #5
joeylim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there any reasoning or explanation you could give me as to how you know it's service parts? Although I haven't seen it in real life, I found it hard to identify any parts that were keenly flawed. Also, would this be a big problem perhaps? I know I'm not a huge nitpicky guy when it comes to absolute detail, but as for resale sake.
Old 8 August 2016, 10:27 PM   #6
jdog111578
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylim View Post
Is there any reasoning or explanation you could give me as to how you know it's service parts? Although I haven't seen it in real life, I found it hard to identify any parts that were keenly flawed. Also, would this be a big problem perhaps? I know I'm not a huge nitpicky guy when it comes to absolute detail, but as for resale sake.
I can tell by the way they look, plain and simple. You can learn about by searching through the boards about different types of dials, insert, fonts etc and go from there. Again, none are flawed as in horribly damaged or fake/aftermarket that I can tell, just not original to the watch. As far as value, I won't put a value on the watch, but can tell you no bracelet, as well as no paperwork, boxes etc and with the service parts, will sell for considerably less than one from the same time period that is original.
Old 9 August 2016, 02:26 AM   #7
joeylim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can tell by the way they look, plain and simple. You can learn about by searching through the boards about different types of dials, insert, fonts etc and go from there. Again, none are flawed as in horribly damaged or fake/aftermarket that I can tell, just not original to the watch. As far as value, I won't put a value on the watch, but can tell you no bracelet, as well as no paperwork, boxes etc and with the service parts, will sell for considerably less than one from the same time period that is original.
I went to go see it today and I could obviously point out the flaws. The crystal was bevelled and didn't sit as high as the regular top hat crystal. The insert did not match any of the MK1-MK3 FF, and visually just too clean to have been the original(No coherency among other parts.) and I checked the crown, which was hard to tell from the picture, but there was the rubber gasket. I wouldn't say I'm terribly unknowledgeable, but kudos to you for being able to pick out by pictures, especially from horrid angles. And thank you, I knew there was something too good about the deal and wouldn't have suspected to this degree if you haven't mentioned it.