The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 April 2017, 09:19 AM   #1
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Dropped 1016 stopped working

My 1972 Rolex 1016 was dropped onto a tile floor, and suffered a slight crack in the crystal around the 6 o'clock numeral. And it's running erratically. Winding the watch or shaking it gently causes the second hand to sweep, but then it stops moving.

What's a likely cause for the failure? Believe it or not, here in Kathmandu, we have a lavishly equipped RSC on the high-end shopping street.
Nicholas Bedworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 09:31 AM   #2
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
It could be a # of things, but it's obviously not holding a power reserve. I've never seen an acrylic crystal "crack", so indeed it did take a hard fall :(
Any competent Rolex watchmaker can diagnose & fix this easily. The main thing is that none of the Lume came loose & the dial was not damaged so nothing of great concern because crystals & internal parts are easily sourced.
Hope it turns out to be a minor fix!
Best
Justin
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the balance spring may be twisted or the balance itself might have slipped its moorings. That can cause erratic running. A competent watchmaker can probably sort that out for you.

Anyway you can show a pic of the cracked crystal?
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 11:39 AM   #4
U5512
"TRF" Member

Broken balance staff is a very high possibility.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

It was a bad way to start the day...

Thanks for the encouragement regarding getting it repaired.
As mentioned, fortunately there's no damage to any visible surface, apart from the acrylic crystal. The second hand does sweep around for 30 seconds or so, and let's hope the replacement parts if necessary are available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 1016 broken crystal resized.jpg (222.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 21 April 2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Vanessa at Jewelers On Time did an excellent job overhauling the watch almost a year ago. It is 45+ years old, and was running very well, but losing about 15 seconds a day, so the present repair will be an opportunity to regulate it after having had several months to settle in after the overhaul.
Old 21 April 2017, 01:36 PM   #7
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Picture of cracked crystal has been uploaded, waiting for approval.
Old 22 April 2017, 02:38 AM   #8
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

@U5512 you get the prize!

It was a broken upper balance staff. The watchmaker at Regency Watch here in Kathmandu had the watch taken apart in minutes and identified the main problem... he'll do a full overhaul while he's at it, with a 2 year Rolex guarantee. For such an obscure location, they have a huge range of parts, although the exact 1016 crystal wasn't in his drawer (of hundreds). He thinks he can has one that's equivalent, just has to check the cross reference tables.

He suggested buffing the bracelet, etc., but I told him just to clean it and leave the patina of age :) as it was. The entire process of stripping the watch to smithereens, cleaning it in various oil removing baths, regulation, testing and so forth takes about 3 calendar days altogether.

A tiny fleck of lume fell out of the minute hand, but he spotted it immediately and retrieved it from the watch face with a soft rubber instrument.

So far, so good.

BTW how much do US RSC charge for an overhaul, replacement of crystal, winding stem, tunnel, balance shaft and so forth?
Old 22 April 2017, 04:41 AM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

That crystal is amazing, you have bad ass tiles Kathmandu!
Old 22 April 2017, 04:57 AM   #10
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bedworth View Post
@U5512 you get the prize!

BTW how much do US RSC charge for an overhaul, replacement of crystal, winding stem, tunnel, balance shaft and so forth?

I think a full service from RSC runs about $800 minimum.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
Old 22 April 2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the RSC likely charges. Here they want about $450, and I was very impressed with the watchmaker.

BTW the asking prices for vintage 1016 watches seems to be astronomical these days... they range from $10-13K for ones with original box and all that. Seems like the price is going up radically.
Old 22 April 2017, 01:27 PM   #12
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

Raju, watchmaker at the Rolex Service Center here in Kathmandu, Nepal. They have a lavish array of testing and cleaning devices, cabinets full of parts, etc. Raju has extremely sharp eyes, and spent an hour with me yesterday educating me on how the watch works, what the problems were and so forth. Very nice experience that reflects well upon the brand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raju, Rolex Service Center watchmaker, KTM.jpg (72.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 22 April 2017, 01:47 PM   #13
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Nice opportunity to see a craftsman in action!
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 01:50 PM   #14
U5512
"TRF" Member

Nice Tudor the watchmaker is wearing!!!
Old 22 April 2017, 01:52 PM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. That is some insider tour for sure. Looks like you're in good hands.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:33 PM   #16
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

It was Friday afternoon, he wasn't busy, and was happy to show me what he does.
Old 22 April 2017, 06:42 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
Nice Tudor the watchmaker is wearing!!!
Looks like a Hydronaut II

Very interesting, Nicholas. Great to see there is an RSC in Nepal. I don't think there was one when I was last there in 1989
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 06:49 PM   #18
Nicholas Bedworth
"TRF" Member

A lot has changed since the halycon days of 1989... basically there is so much pollution from dust, agriculture and cars that the sky (over most of South Asia) is a permanent overcast. At least in HK you are by the ocean. Every once and a while, we have a (relatively) clear, cool, blue sky day and suddenly it's 1965 all over again. From my house, I can see Ganesh Himal (7420 m) on such days.

Yup, looks like a Tudor Hydronaut. Remind wear one the next time I'm diving to 200 m. :)
Old 23 April 2017, 01:32 AM   #19
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bedworth View Post
A lot has changed since the halycon days of 1989... basically there is so much pollution from dust, agriculture and cars that the sky (over most of South Asia) is a permanent overcast. At least in HK you are by the ocean. Every once and a while, we have a (relatively) clear, cool, blue sky day and suddenly it's 1965 all over again. From my house, I can see Ganesh Himal (7420 m) on such days.

Yup, looks like a Tudor Hydronaut. Remind wear one the next time I'm diving to 200 m. :)
Sad about the pollution.