The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 September 2017, 04:07 AM   #1
djdm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-C
Robustness of vintage Rolex watches

I currently own several modern Rolexes and as expected they are all extremely robust, keep near-perfect time, and have not needed servicing (all are under 10 years old). However, I'm now considering buying a late 70s Sub and am wondering what to expect.

A few years ago I bought a vintage Omega for my wife and it has been nothing but trouble, even after a pricey full servicing. The trouble seems to be that it is extremely sensitive to stray magnetic fields and regularly gains/loses time (by 5 minutes or more) throughout the day.

As you might imagine, this has put a bad taste in my mouth for vintage watches and I'm worried that a late 70s Sub will be similar. Can you please share your thoughts on what to expect - will a vintage Rolex be "delicate" and require regular (and expensive) servicing to keep it working well. Or will it be robust and 100% dependable like my new Rolexes?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
djdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 05:40 AM   #2
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer I
No problem!

My 1016 Explorer, made late 60s, owned from new since 1971has been 100% dependable and kept good time, especially in recent years since last service in 2008. It's back with RSC UK now and will have a 2-year guarantee of dependable service when I get it back.
Good service is not cheap but it works.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 05:51 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdm View Post
I currently own several modern Rolexes and as expected they are all extremely robust, keep near-perfect time, and have not needed servicing (all are under 10 years old). However, I'm now considering buying a late 70s Sub and am wondering what to expect.

A few years ago I bought a vintage Omega for my wife and it has been nothing but trouble, even after a pricey full servicing. The trouble seems to be that it is extremely sensitive to stray magnetic fields and regularly gains/loses time (by 5 minutes or more) throughout the day.

As you might imagine, this has put a bad taste in my mouth for vintage watches and I'm worried that a late 70s Sub will be similar. Can you please share your thoughts on what to expect - will a vintage Rolex be "delicate" and require regular (and expensive) servicing to keep it working well. Or will it be robust and 100% dependable like my new Rolexes?

Omegas put a bad taste in my mouth many decades ago. I still avoid them to this day. Vintage Rolex - now we're talking some nice vintage watches and movements.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 05:57 AM   #4
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Here's my 49 year old daily DJ, nothing special, it will outlast both of us with care.

Service on the 1570 movement is still available from RSC.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:11 AM   #5
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
The caliber 10xx Omega movements aren't highly regarded. There's a reason you can find that era of Seamasters for $350 on eBay. They're not bad (I have one) but it was the era where cost-cutting measures began, I believe.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:45 AM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
No doubt that vintage sports Rolex are beautiful watches and back in the day they were state of art. They still are pretty amazing and highly collectible, but really do need to be treated with some respect. Whilst I am fairly careful with any of my Rolexes, I tend to be even more so with vintage. ......it's just not worth putting them at any unnecessary risk particularly in water. So far, servicing has been okay and presumably will remain so as long as parts are still available.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 07:30 AM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think all watches vintage or modern need regular maintenance...for watches I'd say between every 5-8 years. In terms of special care of vintage Rolex....I definitely avoid two things...excessive vibration (clapping, shaking watch on shopping cart over bumps etc) and moisture. Old tritium lume will flake off...so anything I can do to allow that is a plus....and we all know moisture kills dials...hence another reason I think it's important to have regular service to make sure the seals hold up...I'd never swim with vintage/plastic crystals...you're just asking for trouble IMO...got plenty of modern pieces for that.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 07:51 AM   #8
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

A vintage Rolex watch needs to be serviced on a regular basis and then it will fo what it's made to do. Regrettably many vintage watches, even from reputable dealers may look okay externally but are badly neglected internally. The good thing is that they are mechanical machines and as long as you are willing to throw a few dollars in the right direction they can usually be brought up to scratch, unless there is a fatal flaw like a badly corroded case.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

In addition to avoiding water and prolonged direct sunlight on my vintage Rolex watches; I never golf or use vibrating power tools while wearing mine...especially the automatic winding models out of fear of causing damage to the rotors.
As others have said...keep a vintage Rolex serviced and away from water and it will provide faithful service for countless decades to come.
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:48 AM   #10
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Aside from needing service more often, I feel they are even more durable than modern day models.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 08:52 AM   #11
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I have owned vintaged watches, various makes, for a number of years. My oldest is a 1930 American Hamilton (Pa). A particular favorite is a 1947 JLC with original paper dial(!) in 18 k. A 1952 Concord 14 k is also nice. As for Omegas, a 1969 all original Mark II Speedmaster, among several Omegas. Of Rolex I have owned as old as early '50s. Currently only have three Rolex oyster quartz models, all dating from 1979 to 1981. Plus a ref 1630 DJ two-tone with 1570 caliber for 1979. Throw in a 14060M COSC non-date Sub from early 2000s. All were serviced when I purchased them, or I had them serviced after purchasing. All run and tell time. The biggest threat is not magnetism but water/moisture. As my Rolex trained watchmaker tells me, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Ownership of a vintage watch is a pure pleasure.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:05 AM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
Aside from needing service more often, I feel they are even more durable than modern day models.
I didn't know this - so, why would a vintage Rolex need service more often than newer models? Please enlighten us.

Thanks in advance.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:10 AM   #13
Frogman4me
Banned

Hard to match Rolex robustness.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 12:00 PM   #14
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
If you want the highest degree of reliability and need for minimal service, you buy a Toyota or perhaps a Subaru. If you want good reliability, coupled with style, history, beauty, art, and engineering, you buy a vintage Rolex.
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 10:26 PM   #15
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
You know how so many of the members here own beautiful mint or wonderfully tropical patinated examples of rare models they keep in climate-controlled strongrooms, only taken out occasionally for pictures? Not me. All the watches in my signature are just old Rolexes, and frankly I treat them no differently to any other watches aside from making sure they're serviced and gaskets OK. Several of mine are over fifty years old, not particularly rare or special when they were made, were just worn as watches for fifty years, and find themselves being just worn as watches by me now. When I die, my twelve closest friends will each inherit one watch; by then I'm hoping they'll be a hundred years old. And still ticking I bet, even if the watchmaker will be a robot by then

EDIT: Twelve because I also have a nice JLC
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 11:29 PM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I have owned a dozen vintage Tudor subs. I just love these. Cheap to repair. I gave my wife a plastic 79090. I never pressure tested it. She has worn it for 4 years in the shower, ocean and the rigors of child rearing. It loses 5 mins a month. I don't think it was ever serviced.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:57 AM   #17
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't know much about anything fresh from AD but IMHO everything classic from RWC has been amazing (to me) in longetivity & robustness - as long as it comes in an Oyster case

IMHO I think you need to find a better service guy. Omegas would be able to be restored to original accuracy by anybody worth their salt.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 02:57 AM   #18
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Why do you think a vintage Rolex would need serviced more often?
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:17 AM   #19
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Icon6 Mine are robust as modern day ones

Have a local watchmaker who keeps them running like a top. $110 for COA on the Constellation c.564 last month. 1675 is with him right now.

All run within COSC standards. Never slow always fast by a few seconds during week's wear when out of rotation and on wrist.

Find another watchmaker.

Old 22 September 2017, 08:07 AM   #20
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I didn't know this - so, why would a vintage Rolex need service more often than newer models? Please enlighten us.

Thanks in advance.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 08:10 AM   #21
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Let's just say this....While I would agree that the overall sophistication of the movements in modern Rolexes is higher...and they are extremely robust...a 15xx movement is as close to bullet proof in a SWISS Automatic movement as you are ever going to get at this point. I would be FAR more worried about a 3035 or 3135 with regard to the amount of abuse they will take than a 1530-1570. It's just a heftier piece of machinery.

2 cents. Worth what you paid.
Old 22 September 2017, 03:43 PM   #22
tamiya
"TRF" Member

3x35s have itty bitty teeth on their cogs half the size of vintage must be the Green Efficiency movement

15xx bulletproof & old ETAs are armoured tanks
Old 23 September 2017, 03:49 AM   #23
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree 3x35 have those micro teeth and the parts are VERY "light" comparatively. They are GREAT works...but 15xx is a tank. ETA....the reversers are always bad...beyond that it may be a truck but it's a YuGo truck.
Old 23 September 2017, 04:23 AM   #24
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Yugo!?! Yugo = Vostok DAF maybe

Recently landed a 7966 auto ETA and yeah, realised it doesn't auto wind as efficient as R's inhouse designs.

Have dodged reverser wheel issues by staying manual so far, have had a 7929 that's never been off rotation for 20+ yrs. Even when not worn it's usually kept wound up daily ready to go. (I assume 7929 manual is ETA too, have never peeked inside).
Old 23 September 2017, 04:52 AM   #25
carava501
"TRF" Member

Depends on if the watch was serviced properly along the way. Also some shops use chinese parts inside. Rolex has been closing them down. Theres a great company here in my area that specializes in vintage. Matthew Bain www.matthewbaininc.com
carava501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 05:55 AM   #26
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
Why do you think a vintage Rolex would need serviced more often?
I believe it has to do with the oil required in the vintage models.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 09:41 AM   #27
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Oil technology has come a long way over last 40-70yrs, from mineral to synthetics. Even if the oil has stayed liquid not solidified AND it has STAYED WHERE IT SHOULD BE not migrated elsewhere, all moving mechanisms benefit from a clean & relube periodically.

I'd be more concerned about ageing seals though, if a daily wearer.
Old 23 September 2017, 01:59 PM   #28
Gepetto
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750 & 5513
Speaking of service, on older models (e.g. 1675), does RSC use service dials and hands that still have tritium, or do they put on the new style dial that is glossy and uses newer style lume?
Gepetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 02:39 PM   #29
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Yugo!?! Yugo = Vostok DAF maybe

Recently landed a 7966 auto ETA and yeah, realised it doesn't auto wind as efficient as R's inhouse designs.

Have dodged reverser wheel issues by staying manual so far, have had a 7929 that's never been off rotation for 20+ yrs. Even when not worn it's usually kept wound up daily ready to go. (I assume 7929 manual is ETA too, have never peeked inside).
The reversers wear and they make it impossible to manual wind. You don't lubricate them either....if they are bad and it is stiff to wind manually you just simply replace them. I couldn't believe this but one of my good AWCI friends who does a lot of ETA stuff...I asked him what the deal was because I was unfamiliar and having hand winding issues...stiff as mud. He said did you lubricate the reversers? I said yes...he said take 'em out and clean 'em again...you don't lubricate them...I was a bit taken aback. They are very similar to 1161 reversers...anyway...he said if you do and put them back in and it's still stiff...throw them away and get new ones. I did just what he said...couldn't wind it manually. Threw them away put 2 new ones in...presto like new.

The Yugo comment is just that comparatively ... it's just kind of crude...the screws are crude...the plates are thin...it'll never be a Rolex...

I'm not saying it's not a great movement...obviously it is a workhorse and keeps very good time but it's one of those things that is hard for people who don't work on both to understand....it's just not a Rolex...and neither is Omega...that's what the Certified Rolex Watchmaker that mentored me said the first time I asked....he said basically about both...they are good watches...they are specifically NOT a Rolex.
Old 23 September 2017, 02:54 PM   #30
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe it has to do with the oil required in the vintage models.
No reason you can't use modern oils in the older watch. The functions are basically the same. In fact they will also go longer between service intervals with those lubricants.

Unless I had a very strong amplitude I might not use 9415 on the pallet stones of an 18000 bpm movement because it might slow it too much. It stays put a little better but it's also quite heavy and may cause a bit of drag.

A lot of times there are varying opinions by very qualified people.

These also may change daily.

Other than that, a good synthetic oil or grease for the purpose it was intended is a good oil. This was the basic premise given to me by a very knowledgeable and accredited watchmaker in Europe.

On a side note....You might be surprised to find that one certain very expensive watch oil...is exactly the same compound as mobil 1 which sells for a fraction of the cost. It is one of the currently specified lubricants by most major manufacturers. Did I go out and buy a quart of Mobil 1?...no I still use the stuff in my 110.00-5ml bottle. :-)