The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 May 2020, 10:10 AM   #1
HappyHooligan
"TRF" Member

Advice on buying a 14270

So, I've made up my mind to purchase an Explorer 14270.

I've narrowed it down to a Tritium model with lugs. I'd like the earlier model but they're out of my range.

I've been searching for quite a bit but having trouble locating one. I'd also like not polished and I'd really love papers and boxes with it.

It's so odd that every watch came with them new, yet most watches don't come with them? Do people throw all that away?

Is there anything I should look for, or maybe I'm off on which model I'm looking for and you'd suggest another model? I'd like my watch to age and it will be a daily wearer and not a safe queen.

thank you!
HappyHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:20 PM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Lugs would be nice.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's no secret, the more constraints you add, the more patient you need to be. Tritium, unpolished, B&P, price. With all of those requirements, it could take a little while, so be patient and just keep watching watchrecon, eBay, and top dealers.

Lugs will be thrown in for free.
Old 20 May 2020, 01:48 PM   #4
HappyHooligan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Lugs would be nice.....
lol. guess I should have put "holes" after lugs.
HappyHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:11 PM   #5
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It's no secret, the more constraints you add, the more patient you need to be. Tritium, unpolished, B&P, price. With all of those requirements, it could take a little while, so be patient and just keep watching watchrecon, eBay, and top dealers.

Lugs will be thrown in for free.
like he said, the more constraints you add, the harder it will be to find what you want.

overall, finding a tritium dial 14270 in good condition isn't too hard; however I've noticed that ones with lug holes cases seem to pop up less and less. throw in the box and papers, and it could definitely take some time, so if you know that's what you want then just set expectations, and be patient.

one thing you could do is reach out to a reputable vintage watch dealer and have them try to source one for you. they definitely have a much more robust network or owners and dealers and they might be able to find you what you're looking for. I've done this a few times and found what I was looking for, and had a great experience.
ChetterBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 02:52 PM   #6
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetterBear View Post
one thing you could do is reach out to a reputable vintage watch dealer and have them try to source one for you. they definitely have a much more robust network or owners and dealers and they might be able to find you what you're looking for. I've done this a few times and found what I was looking for, and had a great experience.
To what degree is there a premium for this service?
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 07:55 PM   #7
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Lugs would be nice.....
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:54 PM   #8
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
the lug holes feature were removed after a certain serial, there was one floating in the f/s section.

box and papers for watches are nice, but if you are getting the watch from a reliable source, I wouldn't fret. They don't add too much value to a watch but don't take away much either. Some folks just dont want clutter.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:31 AM   #9
ChetterBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
To what degree is there a premium for this service?
it really depends. don't forget that if they don't have what you're looking for in their inventory already, they need to source it for you from a current owner, who is going to be setting their price as well.
ChetterBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 03:49 AM   #10
psv
"TRF" Member

I have the 114270, which I prefer because of the SEL (solid end links). Lugholes would be ideal, but it is very, very hard to find in good condition (unpolished and honest).
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 02:50 PM   #11
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHooligan View Post
So, I've made up my mind to purchase an Explorer 14270.

I've narrowed it down to a Tritium model with lugs. I'd like the earlier model but they're out of my range.

I've been searching for quite a bit but having trouble locating one. I'd also like not polished and I'd really love papers and boxes with it.

It's so odd that every watch came with them new, yet most watches don't come with them? Do people throw all that away?

Is there anything I should look for, or maybe I'm off on which model I'm looking for and you'd suggest another model? I'd like my watch to age and it will be a daily wearer and not a safe queen.

thank you!

Every watch I have, I have purchased with box and papers. And Hopefully, booklets. It’s worth the wait. It makes us at complete. Add some history and soul to the peace. Be patient. You’ll find a 14270. They are super cool Watches. I have owned a 114270, and a 214270. I have periodically had my eye on the 14270, but it just seems redundant to my collection at this point. Good luck on the search. How is Colorado doing at this time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote