The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2017, 07:06 PM   #1
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

1601 Jubilee end link issues

Hi Guys, need some help with the 555 end links on my 1601 jubilee.

The jubilee is 62510H.

One of the end link appears to be able to move side ways between the lugs and this causes a rattle. There is a small gap between the end link and the lugs.

However this is only on one of the endlinks. The other is flushed with the case and the width fits perfectly between the lugs without any rattle or whatsoever.

Is there anyway this can be adjusted or do i need to change the end link all together?

thanks guys for your input.
watchyouseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:12 PM   #2
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

The arrows show how the end links can move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.JPG (84.8 KB, 236 views)
Old 20 August 2017, 10:15 AM   #3
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
it doesn't look too loose and usually one can bend the "arch" of the end link to slightly lessen the arch and lengthen the width and close up gaps. however it's tricky and delicate so maybe have a watch maker take a look at it for a professional touch. from your pic it appears the end link is "knife edged" along the curve which indicated a heavy polish was done so could be it was also polished a bit too much along it's edge as well.

also, rattle-wise i would suspect the noise is coming from the end link curved area hitting the case and not from the side edges of the end link hitting against the lugs.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 03:16 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Enjoy the rattle. It's part of the charm of vintage.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Enjoy the rattle. It's part of the charm of vintage.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:31 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

They need a little adjustment with rubber tip pliers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2017, 05:32 PM   #7
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
it doesn't look too loose and usually one can bend the "arch" of the end link to slightly lessen the arch and lengthen the width and close up gaps. however it's tricky and delicate so maybe have a watch maker take a look at it for a professional touch. from your pic it appears the end link is "knife edged" along the curve which indicated a heavy polish was done so could be it was also polished a bit too much along it's edge as well.

also, rattle-wise i would suspect the noise is coming from the end link curved area hitting the case and not from the side edges of the end link hitting against the lugs.

Thank you janice&fred, i suspect this is most likely the case of over-polish on the sides of the lugs.

I previously had another end-link on the part with issue and had to change it out to this spare one as the previous one had the tubes inside broken out and was rotating horrible between the lugs.

I reckon i'll get a watch maker to rectify this issue as i find it difficult myself to do any adjustments with the wrong tool.

Yes the rattle is part of the vintage charm, but i'm only concern the moving lugs will eventually scratch out the case and the serials might be worn out.

Thanks all for your input on this.
Old 21 August 2017, 09:31 AM   #8
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyouseek View Post
Thank you janice&fred, i suspect this is most likely the case of over-polish on the sides of the lugs.

I previously had another end-link on the part with issue and had to change it out to this spare one as the previous one had the tubes inside broken out and was rotating horrible between the lugs.

I reckon i'll get a watch maker to rectify this issue as i find it difficult myself to do any adjustments with the wrong tool.

Yes the rattle is part of the vintage charm, but i'm only concern the moving lugs will eventually scratch out the case and the serials might be worn out.

Thanks all for your input on this.

from your partial pic it looks like a very nice watch so i'm sure you will have it adjusted to your liking in due time. enjoy!
Old 21 August 2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

I was looking at a 1601 yesterday. The "Gap" across the lugs in the endlinks put me off... If one simply replaced the old endlinks with new...this gap I describe goes away, correct?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:10 PM   #10
watchyouseek
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your inputs, heres a pic of my 1601

Thank you for your inputs, heres a pic of my 1601, it was my grandfather's. He got it in 1980. As you can see, the other side of the end-link (outer wrist) is flushed and tight, no rattle at all.

I recently ordered a leather strap from Bulang & Sons, and would like to try an alternative 'vintage' look to this watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3143.JPG (85.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 22 August 2017, 11:49 AM   #11
janice&fred
Banned

gorgeous, and i wouldn't pay any attention to the end link gap as it's a better fit than most 37 year old watches i have seen. enjoy it :)
Old 22 August 2017, 01:50 PM   #12
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If any of my end links suddenly start rattling... I check the spring bar. Not unknown for me to catch the bracelet on a bag or seatbelt and it bendsthe spring bar; replace if not straight.

New end links usually need some panelbeating to adjust them to fit properly. Sometimes they're too tight & need opening up or spring bar doesn't reach.

If it's squeaking/rattling just from wear (especially after cleaning), I "tune" the sound by adding a small dab of mastic or silicone sealant inside the link :) lower frequency "kluck" isn't as annoying as higher pitched "klick"
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote