The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2017, 05:59 PM   #151
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
How easy is it to reset to the correct time/date if it's been out of action for a few months? Does it involve quite a bit of stuffing around to get all the numbers in order?
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 11:48 PM   #152
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg55 View Post
How easy is it to reset to the correct time/date if it's been out of action for a few months? Does it involve quite a bit of stuffing around to get all the numbers in order?
First the ring control bezel is turned to position 3 and the 24 hour reference ring is set by rotating the minute and hour hand (minute hand is rotated and the hour hand follows). The second hand is hacked in this position only. Second the local time is set in ring control bezel position 2 by rotating the hour hand, Finally the month and date are set in ring control bezel position 1 by rotating the date wheel until the correct month and date are displayed.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 02:34 AM   #153
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Definitely a luxury watch then.
Many would say all Rolex watches are "luxury" watches.

Old 18 September 2017, 03:18 AM   #154
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

piss on a spark plug

Classic movie and great quote. Another line from that movie that would fit here is: "I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it's do any good"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
For clarity, "Your statement is laughable" is a comment on what was said and not the individual whom I'm beginning to think is quite sad. It has occurred to me that this thread has gone exactly as the OP wanted by making him the center of attention. At this moment a line from "War Games" comes to mind; I believe it goes "the only way to win is not to play."
rolexkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:40 AM   #155
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
A vivid reminder of the range of personal tastes; for me it's a bit of a mess, or as my wife Remarked : 'Ugh, what's that.' Others clearly see it as fresh and exciting. The steel models are well priced, and it will hold its own . I feel a bit sorry for those who bought the precious metal versions, expecting an exclusive watch.
Rolex needs to avoid doing that again. They undermined some loyal and committed supporters. I have a PM Daytona, but the steel version was first, so no problem. Same with the smurf and so on.
Now that's a good response, but then that's what I would expect from a fellow East Sussexian!
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:20 AM   #156
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And the perpetual calendar date function is an inspired stroke of design genius. I get that it's necessary for the perpetual calendar but the incredibly subtle markers, using the 12 hours to denote the 12 months is so striking in its simplicity...
I never noticed that! I guess you "learn" which of the 12 hours is which month, but as I type I don't know if this is July or August?...

IMG_20170814_070800.jpg

Do you start at 12 as January, or at 1? Whichever it is, as I look at each number I'd have to say in my head "January, February, March, April...etc.
Not an at a glance solution in my book!
But hang on... I ALWAYS know what month it is, so why have the 12 little windows anyhow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBay View Post
FWIW, I use the second time zone feature all the time when traveling...and while I can count, sometimes it's just easier to look
...precisely my point above about having to count round the hour markers to see which month you're in. Actually, I guess I can correlate month number to month after all.

My opinion? As a DJ41 wearer I think the SkyD complicates the dial, but then I don't see the need for a chronograph either. I just like simple hour; minute; second... and the day of the month (even if I have to adjust it once every month or so).

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:22 AM   #157
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post

My take is that the first Sky Dwellers had the Arabic and Roman numerals because of the small date flag (the flag by the 8, August).

But I also think that design just didn't 'feel right.' People know the 12 numbers on their watch. The date flag by the '8' stick still tells me August, in the most beautifully simple way I can imagine. Hat's off, Rolex!
Ooops, just spotted this. Thanks for the info!
Old 18 September 2017, 07:38 AM   #158
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

January
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
I never noticed that! I guess you "learn" which of the 12 hours is which month, but as I type I don't know if this is July or August?...

Attachment 891116

Do you start at 12 as January, or at 1? Whichever it is, as I look at each number I'd have to say in my head "January, February, March, April...etc.
But hang on... I ALWAYS know what month it is, so why have the 12 little windows anyhow?

...precisely my point above about having to count round the hour markers to see which month you're in. Actually, I guess I can correlate month number to month after all.

My opinion? As a DJ41 wearer I think the SkyD complicates the dial, but then I don't see the need for a chronograph either. I just like simple hour; minute; second... and the day of the month (even if I have to adjust it once every month or so).

January = 1:00, etc. FWIW, I don't need to think about the month when setting it. Nor do I ever think about it again while wearing it. Once set it takes care of itself until the month change at the end of February.

Old 18 September 2017, 07:45 AM   #159
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:

Attachment 891116

I figure the red mark is more for when you set it so it is on the right month vs needing to know what month you are in when reading the time/date.

As for the number, just like the time, you learn what they are... August being the 8th month is at the 8:00 position.... Just as we write it out as 8/11/2017 in the US for August 11, 2017, or you would 11/8/2017 in UK.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 08:04 AM   #160
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
I'm actually sorry I started this thread. I thought it was posted under the Rolex "Discussion" Forum. I thought this was a forum for polite discussion. Some people seem to get very bent out of shape over a watch. I guess opinions are great as long as they are all glowing? I love the YM2 which people here rip apart relentlessly. I don't attack them personally. If you can't post here inviting courteous debate then what's the point? And frankly, if the moderators had a problem with my OP, I would likely have heard about it. Some fragile egos here it seems.
I started a response to berate the guy who jumped on you. He was out of order, no one can deny that. But then I scrubbed it, thinking it would exacerbate the issue rather than abate.
You were a touch naive, as others have pointed out - in a nice way.
Perhaps the jumper was just having a bad day, who knows.
What I do know, is that I don't want to see cras responses from the watch loving fraternity.
Regards
Old 18 September 2017, 08:10 AM   #161
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Gotta say that it's not for me either, but due respect must be given to the exceptional movement. Same for me with the Daytona. I cannot for the life of me understand all the hype. But there are watches out there for everyone.

I would rather have the WG GMT Pepsi than either of those.
Old 18 September 2017, 08:12 AM   #162
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I figure the red mark is more for when you set it so it is on the right month vs needing to know what month you are in when reading the time/date.

As for the number, just like the time, you learn what they are... August being the 8th month is at the 8:00 position.... Just as we write it out as 8/11/2017 in the US for August 11, 2017, or you would 11/8/2017 in UK.
I guess the little red marker in the window is just as much a feature as the fourth hand on a GMT, or the small dials on a Daytona. I can see how complications fascinate some, and each to their own!

Looks, features, size, colour, etc... they're all down to personal choice. I see all too many "what do YOU think of..." or "who likes the so-and-so..." threads.
There are certainly a great number of folk on forums who rely on OTHERS' opinion of what THEY should like rather than ignoring all but YOUR own head and heart and buying whatever YOU like. I've learnt this the hard way by buying a Sub Date then swiftly realising it did nothing for me! Call me STUPID!!

Old 18 September 2017, 08:13 AM   #163
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Many would say all Rolex watches are "luxury" watches.
I am in 100% agreement with that. Being the proud owner of two 34mm OPs, they each give me the feeling that I am indeed wearing a luxury watch. My next step is to get a Day-Date, and although I look forward to it, I really feel as though very little is missing with my two OP 34s.
Old 18 September 2017, 08:25 AM   #164
SamP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylargotime View Post
Pretty sure it had nothing to do with your lack of enthusiasm for the SkyD

But to say it's "laughable" as to why someone would want an annual calendar could easily be misconstrued as some form of impolite arrogance. I have the PP 5396g- do I need the month display? No, but I'm in awe of the craftsmanship that went into making that happen every time I strap the watch to my wrist.

If you're ever in Key Largo, let's grab a beer
I've read this over and over. Was your beer invite for the OP or the guy who bashed him? Only it seems like the latter has accepted!
Regards
Old 18 September 2017, 08:42 AM   #165
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I guess the little red marker in the window is just as much a feature as the fourth hand on a GMT, or the small dials on a Daytona. I can see how complications fascinate some, and each to their own!
Call me STUPID!!

Again for the umpteenth time in this thread, those little red markers aren't there to remind the user of the month on a day to day basis. They are there because the watch is an annual calendar watch. In order to set the watch one needs to know the month. This is because months vary in the number of days they contain. The watch automatically compensates for this variation except for February which itself varies ever four years. Are you in need of an explanation of what a GMT does as well?

Old 18 September 2017, 09:08 AM   #166
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Personally don't like it. Dial is too busy for my taste...
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:03 AM   #167
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I hope people take away from this thread that provocative words like laughable and hideous, as on another thread, are simply not acceptable on TRF as they create a hostile atmosphere as clearly shown here, and there are plenty of other places in the wilds of the internet for that kind of low brow discourse.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:48 AM   #168
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
Personally don't like it. Dial is too busy for my taste...
Maybe you can post your preference for an Annual Calendar/GMT dial; for me it is the best integrated most appealing one I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I hope people take away from this thread that provocative words like laughable and hideous, as on another thread, are simply not acceptable on TRF as they create a hostile atmosphere as clearly shown here, and there are plenty of other places in the wilds of the internet for that kind of low brow discourse.
Amen to that!!!!

Old 18 September 2017, 03:53 PM   #169
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppes-no9 View Post
I don't think you understand the movement at all.

It's not a GMT.

It's an annual calendar.

Far from hype, it's perhaps the coolest watch movement you can get at that price from any manufacturer.
This!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 04:43 PM   #170
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Can I ask a likely stupid question as I don't know how these work? I saw earlier in the thread that you need to adjust from Feb to march. What about those other months with 30 days. Do you need to adjust day forward one and therefore the month goes forward one, or does it know that, say, April has 30 days?
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 04:46 PM   #171
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Can I ask a likely stupid question as I don't know how these work? I saw earlier in the thread that you need to adjust from Feb to march. What about those other months with 30 days. Do you need to adjust day forward one and therefore the month goes forward one, or does it know that, say, April has 30 days?
You only need to adjust once per year (hence the term annual calendar) in February as that's the only month with 28 days. It knows which months have 30/31 days and adjusts itself accordingly.
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 04:49 PM   #172
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfofmiddlesex View Post
You only need to adjust once per year (hence the term annual calendar) in February as that's the only month with 28 days. It knows which months have 30/31 days and adjusts itself accordingly.
I assumed annual calendar meant it showed the month that's pretty cool
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 07:20 PM   #173
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Again for the umpteenth time in this thread, those little red markers aren't there to remind the user of the month on a day to day basis. They are there because the watch is an annual calendar watch. In order to set the watch one needs to know the month. This is because months vary in the number of days they contain. The watch automatically compensates for this variation except for February which itself varies ever four years. Are you in need of an explanation of what a GMT does as well?
Lee,

You appear to be a liitle bit sensitive to comments to the sky Dweller?

I don't believe David was saying that the red markers were only to remind users what month it was. He was, I believe, simply stating that it was a feature of the watch. A necessary feature as you have pointed out, just as the 4th hand is a necessary feature of the GMT and the sub dials are a necessary feature of the Daytona.

And whilst the markers on the sky dweller are necessary to know what month it is for setting the date correctly they do also enable the wearer of the watch to know what month it is at a glance. Now whether that alone is a useful feature to an owner is a matter of personal requirements.

I know that sometimes I struggle to remember what day it is (either age, or lifestyle or most likely a combination of both ) - so its probably only a matter of time before that becomes months as well

Please try not to take criticism of the watch you chose personally. I bought a "clownishly large" SD43 with a "totally unecessary" depth rating and, "sin of all sins" a cyclops (what the hell were Rolex thinking with that "obsenity"). Not to mention the "cluttered" bezel. I've still to look forward to ist value "dropping like a stone" when the "hype" dies down.

Do I care? - nah. Not one bit.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 09:04 PM   #174
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I assumed annual calendar meant it showed the month that's pretty cool
If you think that's cool you should try a perpetual calendar.
Not only can it account for every 28, 30, or 31 day month, but it even accounts for the 29 day month during the leap year every 4 years. It only needs a calendar adjustment every 100 years!

Now that's an impressive bit of watchmaking!

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 11:17 PM   #175
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Technology aside, I love the looks of the SkyDweller. I would be happy to have one in my collection.
Old 18 September 2017, 11:19 PM   #176
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Lee,

You appear to be a liitle bit sensitive to comments to the sky Dweller?

I don't believe David was saying that the red markers were only to remind users what month it was. He was, I believe, simply stating that it was a feature of the watch. A necessary feature as you have pointed out, just as the 4th hand is a necessary feature of the GMT and the sub dials are a necessary feature of the Daytona.

Do I care? - nah. Not one bit.
You could be right. I do believe however that anyone who says a month indicator is feature and won't recognize the necessity doesn't understand the watch. David certainly has my apology.

Perhaps David can respond for himself.

Here are some other ACs as they've been implemented...

Here's an AC without GMT capability.

Old 18 September 2017, 11:38 PM   #177
izamore3
"TRF" Member

The skydwellwer has a lot of great functions but does not have a unique design.
izamore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 02:40 AM   #178
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
If you think that's cool you should try a perpetual calendar.
Not only can it account for every 28, 30, or 31 day month, but it even accounts for the 29 day month during the leap year every 4 years. It only needs a calendar adjustment every 100 years!

Now that's an impressive bit of watchmaking!

Agreed.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 02:41 AM   #179
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

In all seriousness, is there an annual calendar available for less money than the Sky Dweller SS?
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 03:11 AM   #180
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could be right. I do believe however that anyone who says a month indicator is feature and won't recognize the necessity doesn't understand the watch. David certainly has my apology.

Perhaps David can respond for himself.

Whether it's there as an input device, or to be able to tell which month it is, I suspect it's really there so as to be attractive to a buyer as another "feature" which may make them buy it. Otherwise why not have a hidden input method such as pulling the crown eight times to set August?

What I was trying to say is that to some the "necessity" of say, the GMT's fourth hand (and yes, I would probably need help if I wanted to use it's features) is purely a feature. I looked at buying a GMT partly because I liked that it had a red fourth hand (pre-C model). I have little or no use for the GMT function but found it an attractive feature.

So, whereas an extra complication is a necessity to some, to others it's just a feature, never to be used. I do see that to own a SkyD and use it correctly the month would have to be set using the red marker, and thus it puts it into a third category of "necessity enforced feature" where you cannot have the watch function properly without using the feature.

I guess there are may other watches in this category. Again this will make the watch more attractive to some and less so to others.