The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 22 February 2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Review of the Rolex GMT Master II - 1166710 BLNR

Review – Rolex GMT Master II Ref. 116710 BLNR (2013)

So here we are, just a little more than a year after acquiring my first Rolex (a Datejust 116200 also reviewed here) I walked out of my local Rolex AD with this gorgeous new watch. I had been warned by many on this forum that Rolex becomes an obsession and for many one will not do.

After a successful year in business I decided to start casually hunting for a second Rolex. The broad critera being that it needed to contrast the look of the Datejust I already owned. That pretty much narrowed it down to the professional models. Budget also was a factor so precious metals were out. I knew early on that the budget ceiling should be around $10k (incl tax $CAD) to keep my wife on board with the idea we should have a second Rolex. Possible candidates included YM 116622, and Sub-C 116610LN.

Ever since the BLNR debuted at Basel last year it had intrigued me and I know there has been plenty of discussions on the forums about this watch vs. the Sub-C. It took me a few trips to the AD to choose between the two as they are both spectacular watches. Subjectively the BLNR won out for me because blue is my favorite color (sorry Hulk fans, I’m red/green color blind so that one was out). Also, contrary to a lot of discussion on the forums I really like the polished centre links on the oyster bracelet. I find the PCLs add a nice texture to the watch as a whole when viewed from a distance.

While not a pilot myself I do travel across this huge country we call Canada on business multiple times per year. The time zone functions of the GMT are appealing in that way however were far from a deciding factor. In this age of instant electronic info and “there’s an app for that”, my watch selection is primarily based on aesthetics and quality.

Everyone always focuses on the bezel for this watch and rightfully so. The ceramic piece is stunning in real life. It has a gloss that drips with quality and precision. The bezel turns with precise clicks that are dampened so well you could swear there was some kind of viscous liquid filling underneath. Approaching the two tone color scheme of the bezel I had concerns of matching the watch to colors in my clothing. I was going to wear this timepiece with suits as well as casual wear so it had to be versatile. The blue is definitely subdued enough in most lighting situations that the watch can be worn with just about anything. When worn with a simple tee shirt and jeans I love finding some direct sunlight to really bring out the richness of the blue section. The platinum inscribed numbers have a crispness that just pops off the bezel.

I love the contrast of the very very black dial to the very very white dial on my Datejust. The large markers and hands are nicely proportioned and the blue time zone hand is tastefully subtle. Interestingly the Rolex branded rehaut is much more subtle than on the Datejust but not lacking in the fine details.

The case is typical Rolex with a vault-like feel to it. I have no doubts about the secure waterproof nature of this watch even though I have yet to submerge it. I am interested to find out someday why they would fit the triplock crown to the GMT although I have absolutely no problem with it at all. From certain angles the wide case lugs do contrast a bit with the narrower oyster bracelet but most often it only serves to emphasize the size and power of the time piece. At 40 millimeters this is about as big a watch that my small to medium size wrists can pull off. I know the new 42mm Explorer II or Yacht Master II would just be too large for me. The GMT has a very good wrist presence indeed. The only drawback is when I put my 36mm Datejust on after wearing the GMT, it does feel small however it wouldn’t keep me from switching between the two. The crown guards rise up nicely and even though I wear the watch on my right hand it never digs in or irritates. The comfort of the GMT is on par with the smaller and lighter Datejust which surprised me. After only two days it was feeling natural on the wrist.

I was familiar with the oyster bracelet from my Datejust but was excited to live with the flip lock clasp system. I had high expectations since the newer DJ bracelet clasp is superb and secure. In fact I wouldn’t have been disappointed if the GMT had the exact same system. The flip lock is a quality system although I find the clasp to be slightly more difficult to quickly latch and unlatch. I suppose that adds to the security of the bracelet but again I have never felt the Datejust system to be anything but secure. Curiously the oyster bracelet on my brand new GMT squeaks and chirps a quite a bit under movement as if it needs some kind of lubrication. Any advice on this in the comments would be welcome.

As I am not very technical when it comes to movements I can only say a few mostly subjective comments in this regard. The watch appears to keep time very accurately. It spends the nights on the bedside table inactive. I like the idea of the parachrom hairspring and the engineering precision behind the Rolex COSC certified movements. I hope as my Rolex adventures continue I will become more knowledgeable about the inner workings of these beautiful timepieces.

To summarize I have absolutely zero buyer remorse about purchasing this watch new through an authorized Rolex dealer. I feel it is well worth the price regardless of speculation on future values or what Rolex may come out with at Basel in a month’s time. It certainly will get a great share of my wrist time over the foreseeable future and I can only hope it stems my desire for the next Rolex just long enough to save up. I’m already thinking two tone for the next watch… it really never ends, does it?

Thanks for reading and making this forum great to visit on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 36.JPG (92.2 KB, 7463 views)
File Type: jpg photo 38.JPG (94.0 KB, 7383 views)
File Type: jpg photo 17.JPG (145.6 KB, 7392 views)
File Type: jpg photo 33.JPG (125.0 KB, 7387 views)
File Type: jpg photo 13.JPG (117.2 KB, 7386 views)

Last edited by Brucie D; 22 February 2014 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2014, 08:53 AM   #2
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
Great review, great watch. Enjoy it!
Old 22 February 2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Thanks Ken! Love the Hunt for Red October reference in your nickname. Cheers.
Old 22 February 2014, 10:54 AM   #4
FTX I
"TRF" Member

FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats and a nice write-up
Old 1 March 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
bcy2290
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona
Just picked up my watch this month. This watch is so stunning. Looking forward to all the looks the Rolex GMT Master II - 1166710 BLNR will receive ..........Thanks for a great review.
bcy2290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Some more photos for everyone. Thanks for reading the review! Apologies I got the reference number wrong in the title.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 42.jpg (84.5 KB, 7076 views)
File Type: jpg photo 38.JPG (94.0 KB, 7058 views)
File Type: jpg photo 41.JPG (125.8 KB, 7072 views)
File Type: jpg photo 39.JPG (160.7 KB, 7072 views)
File Type: jpg photo 30.JPG (130.8 KB, 7056 views)
Old 5 March 2014, 09:28 PM   #8
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I got my BLNR on Sunday. Its a beautiful watch. I really love what rolex has done here. Many say theyd wished for a pepsi or coke. But i think Black and Blue, a combination not done before makes it unique also. The blue sometimes just fades in with the black or can stand out. Its amazing. Congrats!!!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 07:36 AM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review and photos!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 07:41 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congrats, great choice and compliments the DJ very well
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 09:29 AM   #11
Incredible Hulk

Watch: OUT!!!
Nice Action Bruce!!!!
Incredible Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 03:04 AM   #12
willski
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

Got mine last December (also in Canada whilst on holiday). Great watch and had become my daily go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2014, 01:05 AM   #13
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

I thought I would add some photos in direct sunlight as the blue part of the bezel really comes alive. If the watch is bathed in sunlight the engraved rehaut and black dial are stunning. The dial has a blackness that seems to go on to infinity. Amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 46.JPG (116.2 KB, 6746 views)
File Type: jpg photo 43.JPG (144.7 KB, 6727 views)
File Type: jpg photo 54.jpg (71.5 KB, 6709 views)
File Type: jpg photo 55.JPG (118.9 KB, 6695 views)
File Type: jpg photo 56.JPG (127.4 KB, 6685 views)
Old 16 March 2014, 01:06 PM   #14
style88
"TRF" Member

Great review.

This was my first rolex watch too! I didn't really take fancy in Rolex watches until this model came out and I knew I got to have it. And now I am poisoned by many other models.

Thinking of getting a Daytona next!
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2014, 06:22 PM   #15
phdezra
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Great detailed review. Thanks!
phdezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 12:37 AM   #16
nate196
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 116710LN
Superb REVIEW, very well put, and a MAGNIF time peice! this is next on my radar and your review is making it sooner than later
nate196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 01:38 AM   #17
rickyslam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, DaytonaC, DJ
Thanks for the review.
rickyslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 02:39 AM   #18
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by style88 View Post
Great review.

This was my first rolex watch too! I didn't really take fancy in Rolex watches until this model came out and I knew I got to have it. And now I am poisoned by many other models.

Thinking of getting a Daytona next!
You have now been ruined. Enjoy the sickness!
elcompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 02:41 AM   #19
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post
I thought I would add some photos in direct sunlight as the blue part of the bezel really comes alive. If the watch is bathed in sunlight the engraved rehaut and black dial are stunning. The dial has a blackness that seems to go on to infinity. Amazing.
I agree. I love how the blue picks up in the light and lays low otherwise. Just one more cool thing I love about it.
Old 10 April 2014, 02:53 AM   #20
elcompa
"TRF" Member

OP- Great write up. Great watch. I get what you are saying. It's a feeling, a vibe a style. It's constant companion, not just a time piece.

The serious, durable, timeless real quality says it all. It will also be a great watch 50 and 80 yrs from now. it will outlast you, a child and a grandchild. I lvd that about real quality.

I haven't had mine off since I got it. Well nights and showers don't count....
Old 10 April 2014, 04:23 AM   #21
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcompa View Post
OP- Great write up. Great watch. I get what you are saying. It's a feeling, a vibe a style. It's constant companion, not just a time piece.

The serious, durable, timeless real quality says it all. It will also be a great watch 50 and 80 yrs from now. it will outlast you, a child and a grandchild. I lvd that about real quality.

I haven't had mine off since I got it. Well nights and showers don't count....
Thanks so much for the feedback. It is appreciated. I'm thinking about writing a follow up piece in a few months as an update. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 57.jpg (60.8 KB, 6247 views)
Old 10 April 2014, 05:47 AM   #22
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie D View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. It is appreciated. I'm thinking about writing a follow up piece in a few months as an update. Cheers.
We would all love to read it, until then enjoy your great piece. This watch as said above is really versatile it can blend and change to fit the situation. Congrats again.
PrimareSPA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2014, 11:39 PM   #23
Trog
Banned

Nice GMT. I purchased the same watch largely on the basis of your review.

Curious, how short is Porsche driving season in Saskatoon?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Nice GMT. I purchased the same watch largely on the basis of your review.

Curious, how short is Porsche driving season in Saskatoon?
Wow. Congrats on your new GMT. I'm flattered that my review helped with your decision.

To answer your question, we have many customers who drive Cayennes, Panameras and 911s with all wheel drive year round. We sell lots of winter wheel and tire packages for these cars. Even the Boxster and Cayman are great winter cars with the right tires. That said, business typically slows down a bit December - Feb when it gets super cold. We like to say every day is a great day to drive a Porsche!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camp4 11.jpg (120.6 KB, 6099 views)
Old 18 April 2014, 03:01 AM   #25
Whistlepig1

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
Picking my first Rolex up, also a GMT Master II BluBlk, after work today!

Nice writeup...but it makes my work day here slow down a bit! :D

S.
j
Whistlepig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 10:38 AM   #26
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I just picked up mine today!

I called my AD and told him I'm interested in one and for me, he had one available.
I traded an Explorer II Polar (40mm) and a Panerai 111 for the new GMT BLNR.
I felt bad about the Explorer and 111 since I wasn't wearing them enough. I read your review and really became interested in the watch. It is absolutely stunning in real life! It feels so nice on the wrist as well. I wore it all day today and am loving it.
I've added this to my 2006 GMT Pepsi, 2008 Black SS Daytona, 2011 White SS Daytona and Bell & Ross BR01-92PVD.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 01:00 PM   #27
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaSubmariner View Post
I just picked up mine today!

I called my AD and told him I'm interested in one and for me, he had one available.
I traded an Explorer II Polar (40mm) and a Panerai 111 for the new GMT BLNR.
I felt bad about the Explorer and 111 since I wasn't wearing them enough. I read your review and really became interested in the watch. It is absolutely stunning in real life! It feels so nice on the wrist as well. I wore it all day today and am loving it.
I've added this to my 2006 GMT Pepsi, 2008 Black SS Daytona, 2011 White SS Daytona and Bell & Ross BR01-92PVD.
Great story you should start a new thread and post your story and pics we would all love to see it. Also post on the GMT MASTER II club thread and BLNR owners thread. Great watch I really hope you enjoy it. Welcome.
Old 22 April 2014, 04:46 PM   #28
style88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimareSPA21 View Post
Great story you should start a new thread and post your story and pics we would all love to see it. Also post on the GMT MASTER II club thread and BLNR owners thread. Great watch I really hope you enjoy it. Welcome.
Hi, as I am quite new here, may I know where is the BLNR owners thread?

BTW, I have this watch.......the gloss on the bezel is pretty eye catching
style88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 06:51 PM   #29
PrimareSPA21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by style88 View Post
Hi, as I am quite new here, may I know where is the BLNR owners thread?

BTW, I have this watch.......the gloss on the bezel is pretty eye catching
Enjoy the watch. The bezel is great the watch as a whole is fantastic.

Here is the link:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=315046
Old 1 May 2014, 02:41 PM   #30
jack81
"TRF" Member

I just picked mine last saturday from AD. I must say its amazing looking watch. Felt so much wrist presence n the blu bezel is really nicely done. Your review just make me glance it over n over again bruce. Congrats.
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote