The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2017, 01:50 AM   #121
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick686 View Post
Sure...

1. Most popular, Go-To Rolex Watch particularly for people who don't know anything about watches but have a little bit of money

2. I hate the Raised White Dot on the dial (minor, but it annoys me)

3. Everyone and his mom has a Submariner

4. It's fist and foremost a dive watch. I dive, and IMHO, should consider a dive watch if you're actually going to use it for its intended purpose. With the modern day dive computer, it's not really necessary.

5. I travel constantly, so a GMT watch fits my needs perfect and is water resistant to 100m. Realistically, most divers, even advanced, don't go much beyond 30 meters.

I'm not knocking the people who own them, it's a personal preference.

But if I were looking for a gold watch, it would be a, IWC, Patek, or Jaeger-LeCoultre...

This seems like a bunch of hogwash. Why do you care so much for 1., but more importantly why do you think a gold Submariner has to be used diving. It's not like you would take your gold PP Aquanaut or gold PP Nautilus diving or even your SS for that matter. That argument doesn't really make sense. I wouldn't take my 116610 as my first dive choice either, so it's a moot point.

As far as other brands go, I don't think IWC or JLC are quite at the quality level Rolex is. PP, VC, AL&S, AP, most if not all perhaps, but IWC or JLC (I appreciate both BTW), not so much. As far as movements go, the YM2 and SkyDweller bezel enabled movements (although not Subs, still Rolex for this argument) are much more advanced than what you typically see out of others for like pricing, especially the new SS (or technically Rolesor) Sky Ds

I'd rather see a thread about a watch you truly appreciate, rather than one for what you don't (which is your opinion and right, but kind of irrelevant to the rest of us).
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 02:50 AM   #122
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
^That's quite an in-depth reply to a 6 month old post. What prompted it now?
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:15 AM   #123
dominate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-blue Milli
It all in the name it a GOLD SUBMARINER, how do you let people know you own a Rolex? get the Submariner, how do you get more noticeability make it GOLD!
dominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 04:17 AM   #124
Noxa
"TRF" Member

I'm so stuck between a Gold Sub black face and a DD 40 RG Olive face!
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:00 AM   #125
Maverick686
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Honestly, I appreciate the posts in this thread - it's been quite eye opening.

To be perfectly honest, I acquired a LV Sub, and I can't take it diving with me - it's just too nice. I almost always take my beater Seiko with me diving, and it's got the battle scars to prove it.

One doesn't always need to use his watch for what it was originally meant for.

I'm not sure I can buy into the Gold Submariner myself, but at least now I understand.
Maverick686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:48 AM   #126
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
It is just cool! I think it is the juxtaposition of is it a dive watch...a dress watch....or not for sure what it is other than cool?
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:06 PM   #127
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
i like mine... i dont care what anyone else thinks about it.. i bought it for me and for my own personal enjoyment not to impress....
I outgrew that in my 20's buying things i didnt want so i could look the part, now i buy what i like for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(8).jpg (101.4 KB, 462 views)
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:46 PM   #128
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I've noticed a couple of people here quoting the first gold Sub release in the late 1960s as marking the early beginnings of the Rolex transition to purveyor of overpriced jewellery watches. Not sure if I agree, but it's an interesting talking point.
Beast, I know your quote was 6 months ago, but that is an interesting talking point.

If Rolex did NOT make that transition to purveyor of overpriced jewelry watches, then what watch would they be selling and how much would/should it cost? (And maybe the Tudor Heritage Black Bay Steel for $3,800 or the Pelagos for $4,400 are those watches? Who else makes watches at that price with that quality?)
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 12:59 PM   #129
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I think it looks amazing. Probably a fairly rare watch to see on the wrist given the price. I wore my two tone bluesy into the ocean twice this week for 2 hours at a time. It faired better than my skin did despite copious amounts of sunscreen and protective wear. I'm normally not a huge fan of gold but I like it on a Rolex.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:07 PM   #130
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
I love the gold Sub .. white or yellow gold, dials blue or black don't matter they are beauties and if I had 25 in disposable income to burn that is were it would go.
I'd say that you actually don't need 25K in disposable income to burn. You just need 25K in your savings account that you don't need as liquid (and the $250 per year in insurance cost) because you aren't really spending the money, you are just wearing it on your wrist.
Old 24 June 2017, 01:10 PM   #131
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick686 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I acquired a LV Sub, and I can't take it diving with me - it's just too nice. I almost always take my beater Seiko with me diving, and it's got the battle scars to prove it.
Take your Sub diving. It'll have much more meaning when you pass it on to someone some day and you can talk about the underwater adventures you had with it.
Old 24 June 2017, 01:25 PM   #132
ThyEmperor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21657
Gold Submariner - why all the love?

Bleep
ThyEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 01:36 PM   #133
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
For me the yellow gold submariner with blue dial is by far my favorite PM Rolex. I will own one in the future. Right now I just have too many others on the list to get first. Lol

Great pictures guys. I'm never get sick of looking at him.
I cant agree more! That gold sub with blue dial is my grail watch. I would love to have it one day.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 03:28 PM   #134
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
I love my recently acquired YG Sub... I have owned the Smurf, Hulk, TT, SS Black, and a couple 5 digit black Subs.

The Submariner is by far my most bought watch and really still favorite overall Luxury Sports Watch.

The YG Sub is a beauty to behold in both its gold radiance and the amazing sunburst dial.
Pure luxury and opulence, yet sporty and can work as casual.

Why all the Love?
I think the best rebuttal is this...

2017-06-18_18-46-33.jpg
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 06:25 PM   #135
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
Love the 16808, 16618 and 1680/8 is starting to grow on me. I do not like the new ones, to me they are very ugly. The new ones look fake as well.

This is my opinion and I am sure there are a lot of Rolex collectors that agree.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 07:57 PM   #136
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
I'm not a fan of precious metal sport/tool watches (or any jeweling) either. I don't mind gold for a nice dress watch (on strap...too much gold is just gaudy IMO). I do like the 116719BLRO but instead of WG, I wish they did it in SS. Two-Tones are my least favorite.

Rather than precious metal sport Rolexes, I'd love to see a all ceramic GMT/Sub/Daytona. I think a matte (brushed if possible)/polish black ceramic case would look amazing. Does Rolex need a Kickstarter campaign for this?
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 09:18 PM   #137
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I'd say that you actually don't need 25K in disposable income to burn. You just need 25K in your savings account that you don't need as liquid (and the $250 per year in insurance cost) because you aren't really spending the money, you are just wearing it on your wrist.
True. It's just a parking space. If you need it back, you can get it out.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:08 PM   #138
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
They do look good when playing with your kids in the playground!

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:35 PM   #139
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
:These gold Subs are just beautiful and stunning pieces and the weight is awesome. The thumbs down icon next to the OP's thread title really needs to be turned to thumbs up. Way, way up!!
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:42 PM   #140
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
I'm so stuck between a Gold Sub black face and a DD 40 RG Olive face!
Two fantastic watches to be sure.

One feature that sways it to the sub is the glide lock clasp which aids in the adjustability factor. The DD, while one of the most visually stunning watches, does not offer any sort of micro adjustment.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 11:43 PM   #141
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECR View Post
I love it.
Finally, a black dial gold sub. Beautiful.All that blue is starting to make me ill.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 01:41 AM   #142
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
The Sub is my favorite sports watch, the YG makes it all the more desirable because of its beauty. No, I don't dive with it; that's not why I got it. I wear it everywhere. The fact that it is a diver's watch makes it durable and more robust than other watches. Besides, it's a classic!:smokin
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 02:24 AM   #143
danbrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Kind of like some guys like blondes and some guys like redheads. A YG Sub turns me on. Don't have one yet, but it's on the wish list. Maybe later this summer.

But, then again, that WG GMT Pepsi is pretty nice too. I'm probably like most of the readers here - earn a decent income, worked for years and years and years, and have a few nice watches. My jaw drops when I see collections here where some dude shows off four or five PM watches. That ain't ever gonna happen for me, sadly. But I'm sure the guy who is just starting looks at my watches and thinks, "daaayyyyaaaammmmm".

Watches are just things we like. If you're able to purchase a PM watch, good for you. Get it for you, and don't worry about what some other dude thinks.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 04:10 AM   #144
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyShops718 View Post
Love the 16808, 16618 and 1680/8 is starting to grow on me. I do not like the new ones, to me they are very ugly. The new ones look fake as well.This is my opinion and I am sure there are a lot of Rolex collectors that agree.
No they don't, now put the drink down.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 04:13 AM   #145
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No they don't, now put the drink down.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 04:19 AM   #146
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyShops718 View Post
Love the 16808, 16618 and 1680/8 is starting to grow on me. I do not like the new ones, to me they are very ugly. The new ones look fake as well.

This is my opinion and I am sure there are a lot of Rolex collectors that agree.
I'm sure many of us beg to disagree with you. Plenty of folks here with 6 digit Gold Subs.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 06:14 AM   #147
luvan12
"TRF" Member

I have always preferred gold over silver so a gold submariner is not only an iconic look but also one I really like. To me, its a much more elegant watch, definitely not an every day watch you wear with jeans and a tee.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 06:28 AM   #148
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Except that it will drop in value like a stone. What you are saying is to some extent true for steel sports Rolex, but gold/two-tone/platinum all tank on the used market.

I don't like PM Rolex at all, I think they are a little bit showy/vulgar and where PM is concerned, I would choose other more exclusive brands. Even a steel Patek is a better option, investment-wise. Mostly, though, I really don't see what the point is in a gold sub or a platinum Daytona, for example. What are you trying to prove?
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 06:34 AM   #149
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I've noticed a couple of people here quoting the first gold Sub release in the late 1960s as marking the early beginnings of the Rolex transition to purveyor of overpriced jewellery watches. Not sure if I agree, but it's an interesting talking point.
I'm pretty sure that I agree.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 06:46 AM   #150
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvan12 View Post
I have always preferred gold over silver so a gold submariner is not only an iconic look but also one I really like. To me, its a much more elegant watch, definitely not an every day watch you wear with jeans and a tee.

Love the gold! Wear it with jeans daily:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote