The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 August 2017, 10:33 PM   #1
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Rotor movement question

How freely should the rotor move on a 335?

I've noticed that my normal activity (commute via bicycle to and from work ~12min each way) and walking around work all day (estimated to be 10-20K steps/ day), do not seem to be keeping my recently acquired pre-owned Panerai 335 wound.
When viewed through the see-through case back the rotor does not swing as "freely" as several of my other watches.

I do have an identical movement 273 but it is in a safe a few states away from me currently so I do not have the ability to compare at the moment, but from memory, the rotor on that watch moves much more freely.

The watch is keeping excellent time - not formally tested, but with 2 weeks of daily wear I have not noticed any creep forward or backward in time shown, no matter the state of power reserve.

With the current litany of complaints about Panerai Service Center, I'm a bit loathe to send the watch in unless this is a real issue.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 10:39 PM   #2
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctock View Post
The watch is keeping excellent time - not formally tested, but with 2 weeks of daily wear I have not noticed any creep forward or backward in time shown, no matter the state of power reserve.

With the current litany of complaints about Panerai Service Center, I'm a bit loathe to send the watch in unless this is a real issue.
you want the rotor spinning like a top? if it's keeping good time what's the issue? what pasc issues are you talking about?

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2017, 01:06 AM   #3
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
you want the rotor spinning like a top? if it's keeping good time what's the issue? what pasc issues are you talking about?
All the other watches I own/ have owned with display back allowing rotor viewing have shown a rotor that at least moves freely/ with gravity/ while turning watch - NOT one that sticks in place without forceful movement.

The concern is that I do not own a hand wind only movement - several others (I believe even on this forum) have described the P.2003 movement as such that with regular wear, no winding is required to maintain mainspring. I have experienced that kind of functionality with another Panerai I own with an identical movement.

Concerns have been raised by several posters about quality control issues, damage occurring not related to service, and sluggish repair times (I know, complaints are often more often stated than praise).
Old 5 August 2017, 05:32 AM   #4
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctock View Post
All the other watches I own/ have owned with display back allowing rotor viewing have shown a rotor that at least moves freely/ with gravity/ while turning watch - NOT one that sticks in place without forceful movement.

The concern is that I do not own a hand wind only movement - several others (I believe even on this forum) have described the P.2003 movement as such that with regular wear, no winding is required to maintain mainspring. I have experienced that kind of functionality with another Panerai I own with an identical movement.

Concerns have been raised by several posters about quality control issues, damage occurring not related to service, and sluggish repair times (I know, complaints are often more often stated than praise).
not sure what you mean by 'forceful movement'....it's not suppose to spin like a top, although i don't own a watch with the 2003 movement i do own one with the 9000 movement and it moves freely but not too freely.

let it wind down and see how long the power reserve lasts.

as far as pasc is concerned the last watch i sent to them was back to me in 4 weeks and everything was handled as expected

chgo_risti on IG
Old 5 August 2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Doctock
"TRF" Member

I would expect that the rotor would at least move with gravity.

There's no issue with power reserve lasting - if I hand wind the watch.
It just does not seem to be winding with the automatic wind aspect.

Good to hear a good experience with PASC.
Old 5 August 2017, 01:00 PM   #6
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

bring it in to a boutique and have them take a look at it....

hagwe

chgo_risti on IG