The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2017, 03:20 PM   #31
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Other than possibly being a shout-out to the 382/507, I'm not sure if there's much "significance" to the green dials....not that any is needed when they look that good.
Damn, I'm wrong again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
That 737 is beautiful!! How many of those were made and what year?
200 only, boutique exclusive and on a T serial (2017). You should see it in the flesh, it's incredible

I got that one right, Cru

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 09:26 PM   #32
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Damn, I'm wrong again

200 only, boutique exclusive and on a T serial (2017). You should see it in the flesh, it's incredible

I got that one right, Cru

I really am just guessing. Maybe your Singapore boutique connections could shed some light?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:50 AM   #33
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
T4s!
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 02:41 PM   #34
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Icon17

Not the best picture, but my unexpected return to Panerai (after selling off my first and only PAM some years back) was marked by picking up the PAM737 in Singapore this weekend.

Apparently, each OP boutique technically only gets a certain allocation, but Singapore wrested an extra PAM737 (much to the displeasure of an OP boutique elsewhere that got deprived of it, and to my joy!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1(1).JPG (84.9 KB, 176 views)
Snarltorialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 10:56 PM   #35
azcii
"TRF" Member

Will these be a "limited edition" meaning 200-300 will be released every year, or are they truly limited editions?
azcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 10:59 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarltorialist View Post
Not the best picture, but my unexpected return to Panerai (after selling off my first and only PAM some years back) was marked by picking up the PAM737 in Singapore this weekend.

Apparently, each OP boutique technically only gets a certain allocation, but Singapore wrested an extra PAM737 (much to the displeasure of an OP boutique elsewhere that got deprived of it, and to my joy!)
Congratulations and welcome
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 11:34 PM   #37
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcii View Post
Will these be a "limited edition" meaning 200-300 will be released every year, or are they truly limited editions?
They're limited. The blue dials from last year haven't been re-released under a different number so why should the green dials?

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 5 September 2017, 12:05 AM   #38
azcii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
They're limited. The blue dials from last year haven't been re-released under a different number so why should the green dials?
Ok, I hope they wont. I'm seriously in love with the 736

azcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 02:31 AM   #39
Williams
"TRF" Member

so sweet.. well done!
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 05:35 AM   #40
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
I think you're good. The boutique in Toronto got all the on Thursday. The one like yours was gone the same day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 07:17 AM   #41
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
I think you're good. The boutique in Toronto got all the on Thursday. The one like yours was gone the same day!

Maybe Brian got the 737
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2017, 07:22 AM   #42
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Lol, I wasn't told. Could be some from outside the area as well.

eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 01:11 AM   #43
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcii View Post
Ok, I hope they wont. I'm seriously in love with the 736

This looks gorgeous.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 03:32 AM   #44
olc
"TRF" Member

This is what baffles me about Panera’s — and honestly why i have not yet bought anything from the brand. Why roll out a big marketing campaign, have a piece in Robb Report, etc. when there are going to be so few of these models available that the only people who can get them are those who pre-ordered with a boutique before the broad announcement even came out? PAM seems to do this a lot — like the Bronze/blue piece announced earlier this year.

I guess they have a strategy in mind, but for people like me who are new to the brand it just seems like intentional frustration of potential customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 03:22 PM   #45
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olc View Post
This is what baffles me about Panera’s — and honestly why i have not yet bought anything from the brand. Why roll out a big marketing campaign, have a piece in Robb Report, etc. when there are going to be so few of these models available that the only people who can get them are those who pre-ordered with a boutique before the broad announcement even came out? PAM seems to do this a lot — like the Bronze/blue piece announced earlier this year.

I guess they have a strategy in mind, but for people like me who are new to the brand it just seems like intentional frustration of potential customers.

It is unfortunate that things work out that way but it is what it is. I still couldn't find anything on the internet about these green dials three weeks after I'd picked up my 737.

It's not vastly different from Rolex ADs offering the Daytona C to the 'select few' before making them available to the general rabble some five years down the road.

Old 6 September 2017, 03:42 PM   #46
olc
"TRF" Member

Agreed there are some similarities but:

1. Rolex doesn't do limited editions. You can get a Daytona c if you want one, as long as you can wait a year or so or pay a couple of extra grand.

2. Rolex doesn't play this boutique only game. Any AD can get a Daytona. Really don't understand why PAM loves this boutique only stuff.

3. Panerai is not really in a position right now to pretend like it's Rolex or Patek. They should by all means limit production to keep prices up, but there's a vast gap between limiting production and annoying potential customers, in my humble opinion.

olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 03:03 PM   #47
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olc View Post

I think it's simply a business decision. In this case all Panerai had to do was place new/green dials on existing cases/movements and generate a quick $1m in revenue in a few weeks. Margins are higher by selling at full msrp and keeping all the profits in-house by going "boutique only". I can't blame them for this tactic in a down swiss watch economy. It's also great publicity and generates foot traffic into the boutiques where the customers might just pick up a regular stocking model upon realizing the limited editions have been snatched up. My 2 cents.
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 11:40 PM   #48
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
I think it's simply a business decision. In this case all Panerai had to do was place new/green dials on existing cases/movements and generate a quick $1m in revenue in a few weeks. Margins are higher by selling at full msrp and keeping all the profits in-house by going "boutique only". I can't blame them for this tactic in a down swiss watch economy. It's also great publicity and generates foot traffic into the boutiques where the customers might just pick up a regular stocking model upon realizing the limited editions have been snatched up. My 2 cents.
I feel like I've just been had!
Old 8 September 2017, 12:29 PM   #49
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
This looks gorgeous.
Wow....I do so agree !!!!!
I want one...........

cheers
Old 8 September 2017, 12:47 PM   #50
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How can you feel like you've been had when you have one of the most desirable 1950 Luminors out there? Sorry mate, but something's not stacking up here.

Old 8 September 2017, 02:10 PM   #51
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to detract from your experience. The 737 is a stunning, rare Panerai. Nothing changes that. I'm always trying to figure out what makes a company tick (sorry for the pun). In doing so with the companies that happen to sell things I'm passionate about can sometimes lower the mystique. I need to stop doing this.

Furthermore you've not been had. Your watch will likely maintain its value far better than most. Congratulations on yours and enjoy it!
Old 8 September 2017, 02:21 PM   #52
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to detract from your experience. The 737 is a stunning, rare Panerai. Nothing changes that. I'm always trying to figure out what makes a company tick (sorry for the pun). In doing so with the companies that happen to sell things I'm passionate about can sometimes lower the mystique. I need to stop doing this.

Furthermore you've not been had. Your watch will likely maintain its value far better than most. Congratulations on yours and enjoy it!
Gents, I jest

In other news, I thought to pay it forward and share a couple of shots here. Sorry for the less than ideal lighting; I'm still waiting to swap to an Alligator strap when the stock arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7734.JPG (73.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7730.JPG (96.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 8 September 2017, 02:27 PM   #53
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gents, I jest

In other news, I thought to pay it forward and share a couple of shots here. Sorry for the less than ideal lighting; I'm still waiting to swap to an Alligator strap when the stock arrives.
Can't wait to see the gator pics!
Old 11 September 2017, 05:38 AM   #54
Rolex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Pam 735
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4712.JPG (120.1 KB, 96 views)
Rolex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 11:53 AM   #55
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Green dial, gold hands and wire lugs! Nothing to improve here. Congratulations!
Old 11 September 2017, 12:20 PM   #56
Preeble
"TRF" Member

Do these come in an SE box or a standard box? Looks like they come with two sets of straps? Do they come with the outer cardboard box? I assume all in-house movements, so no warranty card? Anything else different?
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 02:56 PM   #57
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeble View Post
Do these come in an SE box or a standard box? Looks like they come with two sets of straps? Do they come with the outer cardboard box? I assume all in-house movements, so no warranty card? Anything else different?
Only real difference is the SE box which is green in colour, but otherwise comes with both leather and rubber straps and all the outer cardboard boxes. Isn't the warranty always 2-years regardless of whether it's an in-house movement or not?
Old 11 September 2017, 05:10 PM   #58
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeble View Post
PAMs don't come with a warranty card anymore. My 737 has a booklet, as does my 359 and 689.

Warranty is two years.

Old 11 September 2017, 08:34 PM   #59
Preeble
"TRF" Member

PAMs with non-Panerai movements still have a warranty card. They actually redesigned ithe card this year - my 731 came with one (also a T series).
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #60
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't wait to see the gator pics!
Strap stock finally arrived and this will be my permanent "dry-usage" configuration: PAM737 on alligator nubuck gold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (72.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (74.1 KB, 53 views)