The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 August 2017, 02:39 PM   #1
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Some watches here in Japan

Currently in Japan, been watch watching here and there at the usual suspects in Tokyo...mostly priced far too high compared to states. Curious what you guys think about this day date 1803 and these super cool looking big rose Tudors....what should I watch out for? Are these pricing more or less correct? Seems liked it for the day date but no idea on the Tudors.

sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 02:41 PM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
$5,440 for the 1803 Day Date. Seems reasonable if there aren't any issues.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 03:51 PM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some watches here in Japan

A big rose Tudor in 1965? I thought 59-60ish was the last year for the big rose dial? I know for a fact that by 61 they were already into using the small rose dials. The two shown with bracelets are way too new. Large rose dialed Tudors should be on a 7205 rivet bracelet or pre-1960 would be a large logo clasp.
And then there is a Tudor 7991 listed with a large rose dial. I thought the 7991 only had either a small rose dial or a shield dial? I think a lot of these Tudor watches shown have fake large rose dials in them. Who knows what else is fake in the lot..
$1300-1500US is way too much for these Tudors. $800 max here in the states for one on a leather strap.

This is an original 59 large rose that I used to own.

And here is an original 61 small rose that I used to own.

Old 11 August 2017, 04:03 PM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A big rose Tudor in 1965? I thought 59-60ish was the last year for the big rose dial? I know for a fact that by 61 they were already into using the small rose dials. The two shown with bracelets are way too new. Large rose dialed Tudors should be on a 7205 rivet bracelet or pre-1960 would be a large logo clasp.
And then there is a Tudor 7991 listed with a large rose dial. I thought the 7991 only had either a small rose dial or a shield dial? I think a lot of these Tudor watches shown have fake large rose dials in them. Who knows what else is fake in the lot..
Yeah this is what I was scared of. I think this shop had reviews talking about frankens, redials etc. I thought a lot of these dials looked too good for the age. Thanks for confirming...I'll stay away heh. The day date seems reasonable but who knows what's going on inside......cool to look at I guess...wish I had my watchmaker here to dissect them for me lol.
Old 11 August 2017, 04:05 PM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I just updated my post with original examples of a real large and small rose from 59 and 61 for comparison.
Old 11 August 2017, 05:26 PM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
I just updated my post with original examples of a real large and small rose from 59 and 61 for comparison.
Thanks for the info my man. love the knowledge base here in vintage subforum.
Old 14 August 2017, 02:42 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Jack Road in Nakano has some nice Tudors. Some are redialled, but they state clearly if this is the case. Avoid the "vintage" Rolex and Tudor dealer Corleone in Harajuku - had some bad experiences there.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:28 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Jack Road in Nakano has some nice Tudors. Some are redialled, but they state clearly if this is the case. Avoid the "vintage" Rolex and Tudor dealer Corleone in Harajuku - had some bad experiences there.
Thanks..nothing much interested me at Jack Roads this time....except a 6265 but about the only thing original was the case and dial....not for that price passed. Nakano is always a great place to browse though along with Ueno.
Old 15 August 2017, 01:18 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
That's a nice white gold 1803 (from the photo, anyway), and I agree it's very reasonably priced, as long as it checks out. I sold my similar, but non-lume, 1803 white gold from 1964 three years ago for $6400. I miss it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 Wristshot.jpg (261.2 KB, 412 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 01:22 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
That's a nice white gold 1803 (from the photo, anyway), and I agree it's very reasonably priced, as long as it checks out. I sold my similar, but non-lume, 1803 white gold from 1964 three years ago for $6400. I miss it!
Oh, man. That 1803 is amazing. I hope you replaced it with something even more spectacular...
Old 15 August 2017, 04:15 PM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh, man. That 1803 is amazing. I hope you replaced it with something even more spectacular...
With that 6263...he needs little else.
Old 16 August 2017, 05:40 AM   #12
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
That's a very beautiful and fairly priced WG daydate.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 02:54 PM   #13
unprdctb1e
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Hi Adam - I will be in Tokyo this December. Have you dealt with? If so, What do you think of Commit Ginza? Also Crown Maniax, think they are new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unprdctb1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 07:14 AM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unprdctb1e View Post
Hi Adam - I will be in Tokyo this December. Have you dealt with? If so, What do you think of Commit Ginza? Also Crown Maniax, think they are new
Hey Tony. I know of these dealers from IG, but I haven't dealt with them. They look to have some nice stuff, though.

TBH I think the Japanese market is overpriced right now. It's better to get stuff from trusted US dealers like HQ Milton. Even with shipping/insurance/import taxes it works out cheaper.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:55 PM   #15
unprdctb1e
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey Tony. I know of these dealers from IG, but I haven't dealt with them. They look to have some nice stuff, though.

TBH I think the Japanese market is overpriced right now. It's better to get stuff from trusted US dealers like HQ Milton. Even with shipping/insurance/import taxes it works out cheaper.

Wow ... really. Thank you!! I'll keep that in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unprdctb1e is offline   Reply With Quote