The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you do..??
Trade 24 13.04%
Do not trade 160 86.96%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 July 2018, 04:10 PM   #61
SearChart
TechXpert

I thought the Rainbow was the ultimate Daytona?
No, I wouldn't do that trade.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #62
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I did post on vintage forum. That vote is Waaaaay different
I actually can do a 6263 for the 3 PM pieces I mentioned..OR...a 6265 for 2 PM pieces. Either deal can be made
THESE ARE THE ACTUAL WATCHES

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh boy. So glad I don’t have to take the decision

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2018, 05:21 PM   #63
doramas
Banned

Noooooooo...!
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 07:06 PM   #64
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I don't think I could do it either. I would have to vote no. I would love to add another vintage piece to go with my 1680 but don't think I could do it at the expense of 3 PM's - unless it was the absolute 100% watch you are wanting and not "almost" the one you want.

Good luck!!!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:39 PM   #65
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
I think that after the thrill of the purchase passes, you will come to see it as just an old watch, and nowhere near as nice as the ones you traded for it. Although, you know your likes and dislikes better than anyone.

This. Sorry guys. Vintage watches are just beat up old watches.

Stick to modern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2018, 08:44 PM   #66
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Would you do it...??

No way
A price correction in the near future could be a problem but even so
Keep what you have

jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:15 PM   #67
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that you are giving up too much to get what I know to be a very collectable piece. How much would you wear it? You have an amazing collection, I would just sit tight and wear what you have.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:16 PM   #68
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would get the WG Daytona Oysterflex which resembles like a Big Red. Not a big fan of vintage which price has gone insane!

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:27 PM   #69
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
NFW! More Rolex = mo betta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_1964 View Post
Nope, Not Me Either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I know nothing about the vintage market. I'm glad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
As any collector, I would do it. I rather have 1 ultimate grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
My initial thought was no when I read your post. After seeing some of the responses here, especially from those that know what they're talking about, I'm doubly sure....no way, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
No,The Vintage Daytona Market is at a all Time crazy level...There has to be a price correction soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai.tranhr View Post
No for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
+1

Same here. No knowledge of vintage market, so if you are buying it to show off to me, don't!

(just kidding about the show off part of course.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
Personally, I think you’re absolutely insane to even consider this. However, I’ll preface that I also think the vintage Rolex market is also absolutely insane and I personally do not get the appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Another, nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Another vote for big Noooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Yea......I love vintage Rolex, but that price is insane. I would never do that trade. Vintage Rolex of that caliber is for the ultra wealthy IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
No. Insane.

Move the WG pieces and get a Daytona C white face. Go modern and refreshing for a new take on retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Hi Rich,

I’m going with “NO” as well. However, out of curiosity.
Any chance you have pics of what you’re trading and trading for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Another BIG NO Rich ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
"Ignorance is bliss" applies here with my lack of expert knowledge on vintage pieces.

Best of luck with your decision, OP. You must really want this one because you are giving up some serious pieces to make this deal work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
I have done some crazy watch deals on some pricey watches. I agree. NFW. The Rolex preowned market is currently crazy. Look what you are giving up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
No. Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Hi Richard another NO!!!!!!!! here . Perhaps you can pursue a different vintage Daytona that does not require you to put so much $$ into it ? As many say, the grass of your neighbor many times seems to be greener than yours...... enjoy the awesome pieces you own and pass on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow15 View Post
I vote no

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
I voted no, but there's a small part hoping you pull the trigger just to see if you regret it later

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wonder what your poll would say if you posted on the vintage forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Just No ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by air_king View Post
I have to agree, a little steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
This is my sentiment as well.

Would also like to see pics of said big read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Please. No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Seems to me if all 100 percent original and no replacement parts the deal definitely favors you making the trade. The prices on that Daytona are well above what you could ask for for the 3 pieces imo (110k and up) and the condition seems to be near perfect. Maybe a red flag? Comes with box and papers I assume? If yes then I would do that trade tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Do it - once in a lifetime, Daytona 6263 Big Red, put it on, never take it off....others always available....just my opinion - YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
eh id rather have a richard mille for that kind of scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmore009 View Post
I get it. You want something you don’t have right now. It may be the ultimate Daytona but I would never go that trade. Never!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
No Sir, not even for a minute would I entertain letting go of the ones you have for the 6263 Daytona. Yes, it is a nice watch (way too hyped IMO) but not worth parting from those you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthundreds View Post
It is not a trade I would make. That said, if that is your absolute grail watch and your grail watch hasn’t changed with all the other watches you’ve acquired over the years - go for it. It’s so hard to not chase a moving target! Great collection btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
agree, no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
That's sounds like your giving up too much to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
No way. I'd keep the three you have and enjoy them forever.

Would you wear the 6263 like you would the PM's you currently own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I'm conflicted because on the one hand the watch is Fantastic and it would be great to have but if you are not going to wear it as much as you would rotate the others then why get it. Being retired I tend to rotate my watches less than I used to. If I got my "Grail" I would wear it all the time and It wouldn't matter if the others were gone. IMHO

Good Luck with your decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
You're getting about 80k trade value? If so, I would do it, you'd have built in equity as a cushion if you need to flip the Daytona in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I know both of those watches. I am no expert by a long shot but neither is a grade A example. For the scratch you’re sacrifcing I would wait for a grade A example. Be patient.

Also no I wouldn’t do it. Buy a 1675 or 5513 and see if you like wearing an old watch. It’s not for everyone.

I almost bought a mint 6263 off eBay about 3-4 years ago for 37k. Complete set and gorgeous. Many educated members argued it was priced looney tunes and others said hey it’s a really nice correct example lol

I can’t shake that memory when shopping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I can see the appeal in having the opportunity to have your grail watch... but as you mentioned, it’s “almost” the perfect Daytona so you’d probably still want that perfect one... so I’d wait for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would pass, the only vintage Daytona I would buy is a PN, just like an early mk red sub would be the only vintage Sub I would buy. All or nothing for me with vintage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
The 6263 Big Red has now this high value because it's hyped, not for the horological value as watch! The three you have won't fall just for their own standing without being hyped... I would never do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Hey Richard, that is a huge steep price to pay to move three incredible pieces to end up with one hell of a collector piece. Are you doing this for the love of this watch or as an investment that it could keep going up in value. Those are legitimate questions I think. AND, I think you retired recently and was looking for something new to do......better do it fast buddy.....an idle mind is a dangerous mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I would not do it Rich and think you should let the feeling pass. You are paying more than I paid for 6241 Paul Newman and 6239 Paul Newman and twice what I paid for my last 2 6263's and mine were complete sets as well. Mine weren't in excellent condition they were in stupid pristine condition as well. So if you go down that road and with your tendency to trade watches you will take a nice beating IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that you are giving up too much to get what I know to be a very collectable piece. How much would you wear it? You have an amazing collection, I would just sit tight and wear what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
As much as I love vintage, some models have risen so much the last few years, I would almost be afraid to wear it. I love Rolex because I do not have to worry about wearing one. I moved my vintage pieces a couple years ago because of this. I know it sounds weird but they became too valuable to wear regularly. I am not a real collector so did not make sense to pay a huge insurance premium and not wear them much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Yeah , nah, No deal :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
I would get the WG Daytona Oysterflex which resembles like a Big Red. Not a big fan of vintage which price has gone insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
No. Lets not add to the vintage Daytona hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I thought the Rainbow was the ultimate Daytona?

No, I wouldn't do that trade.

What an awesome group of enthusiasts we have here! I’ll say it again....very glad to be part of this community!
Thank you all for the advice...As much as I love vintage, I’m not going to do this trade. I think I’d miss the variety too much, and as someone else pointed out ....the 116519LN pretty much nails it for scratching that itch :)
Thanks again ladies and gents!

rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #70
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Would you do it...??

Quote:
What an awesome group of enthusiasts we have here! I’ll say it again....very glad to be part of this community!
Thank you all for the advice...As much as I love vintage, I’m not going to do this trade. I think I’d miss the variety too much, and as someone else pointed out ....the 116519LN pretty much nails it for scratching that itch

Glad to hear that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:41 PM   #71
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice...As much as I love vintage, I’m not going to do this trade. I think I’d miss the variety too much, and as someone else pointed out ....the 116519LN pretty much nails it for scratching that itch :)

for those like me who need a picture :-)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:49 PM   #72
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

I’m gonna go against the others. You are retired right? A vintage daytona and a 40 gold dd. That is all you f**king need! End game watches. But I would sell the others private and buy the daytona cash and ask for a little discount! Maybe add the daytona WG on oyster later for the hot days.
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:58 PM   #73
T01
"TRF" Member

I’d pass personally.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:00 PM   #74
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
I know ultimately it’s a decision made by me, get what you’ll love etc....
BUT...since this would be a major trade, I’d just like to hear others thoughts. Always appreciate this forum for the wisdom

I am a huge Daytona fan and have what I consider to be “Almost” the ultimate Daytona...
I have an opportunity to do a 3/1 trade....3 PM Rolex for a SS Rolex...the Daytona, IMO that’s an ultimate Daytona...6263 Big Red, silver dial, excellent condition, all original, reputable seller, etc...
Rolex I’d be left with: YG DD40 and 16600.
Trading WG GMT, WG DD 40, and PT Daytona.

Thoughts appreciated as always
Richard,

Have you tried a 4 digit Daytona?

I'm asking because I wore one as a daily for 13 years. Its a very different proposition to a six digit one, let alone a platinum six digit one.

Smaller, lighter, much less robust, manual wind. All of those are obvious, of course, but you need to wear one to fully appreciate how different it is.

Value aside, I sold mine and bought a 16610 and found the Sub to be just a better watch. And if a NOS 6263 was trading at the same price as my old RG Daytona I'd pick the 6 digit all day long.

I'm saying this because the hype, mystique and adulation attracted by 4 digit Daytonas is way, way, way above the reality of the watch itself, in my opinion as a past long term owner.

So, if you are buying it because you want (or think you want) a 4 digit Daytona because its the ultimate Daytona, then my answer is no. Not in a million years. Not for half the price. Because its not. Its a lovely watch, but no 4 digit Daytona is the ultimate Daytona by any measure other than investment potential.

If you are looking at it purely from a financial perspective of potential investment returns then go for it.

But the two you've posted, whilst nice, have had work. Protruding spring bar ends on both (may be the wrong bars - may have over reworked cases) and you could do much better if that's the route you take

Edit: Just seen you've passed on the idea. I think that's 100% the right decision

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.

Last edited by Devildog; 12 July 2018 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: OP has made a decision
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:07 PM   #75
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
for those like me who need a picture :-)
That bracelet on the 116519 would be wish it would come from Rolex that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Glad to hear that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Richard,

Have you tried a 4 digit Daytona?

I'm asking because I wore one as a daily for 13 years. Its a very different proposition to a six digit one, let alone a platinum six digit one.

Smaller, lighter, much less robust, manual wind. All of those are obvious, of course, but you need to wear one to fully appreciate how different it is.

Value aside, I sold mine and bought a 16610 and found the Sub to be just a better watch. And if a NOS 6263 was trading at the same price as my old RG Daytona I'd pick the 6 digit all day long.

I'm saying this because the hype, mystique and adulation attracted by 4 digit Daytonas is way, way, way above the reality of the watch itself, in my opinion as a past long term owner.

So, if you are buying it because you want (or think you want) a 4 digit Daytona because its the ultimate Daytona, then my answer is no. Not in a million years. Not for half the price. Because its not. Its a lovely watch, but no 4 digit Daytona is the ultimate Daytona by any measure other than investment potential.

If you are looking at it purely from a financial perspective of potential investment returns then go for it.

But the two you've posted, whilst nice, have had work. Protruding spring bar ends on both (may be the wrong bars - may have over reworked cases) and you could do much better if that's the route you take

Edit: Just seen you've passed on the idea. I think that's 100% the right decision
Thank again for your perspective...very helpful!
Old 12 July 2018, 10:08 PM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like the 6265 even less so no for me again. If you could sell 2 for the 63 I might give it some thought.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:13 PM   #77
Cru Jones

No from me, too. But, truth be told, vintage at that price is lost on me.... I’d rather have and wear the three you propose to trade.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:13 PM   #78
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
I did post on vintage forum. That vote is Waaaaay different
I actually can do a 6263 for the 3 PM pieces I mentioned..OR...a 6265 for 2 PM pieces. Either deal can be made
THESE ARE THE ACTUAL WATCHES

They are not in excellent condition. If you want to see true mint 6263's or older Daytona's have a look at some of the pics of my watches in older posts. I wouldn't even consider either of those if the price was right which it isn't.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:41 PM   #79
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Good choice Richard

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 01:51 AM   #80
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:

Thank again for your perspective...very helpful!
I would also prefer it to the Oysterflex.
Attached Images
File Type: png true_116519.png (194.1 KB, 96 views)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 02:08 AM   #81
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I much prefer vintage to modern but even I would not do that trade.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 02:50 AM   #82
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
[QUOTE=Richris1;8757320]That bracelet on the 116519 would be wish it would come from Rolex that way [QUOTE]

If you love that look why not just sourcing the black ceramic bezel and doing the swap on yours to be just like that? Not to long ago someone got a hold of the black bezel from a 116500; in any case way cheaper than pursuing the 4 digit Daytona
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:07 AM   #83
rmlovett1

[QUOTE=fskywalker;8757997][QUOTE=Richris1;8757320]That bracelet on the 116519 would be wish it would come from Rolex that way
Quote:

If you love that look why not just sourcing the black ceramic bezel and doing the swap on yours to be just like that? Not to long ago someone got a hold of the black bezel from a 116500; in any case way cheaper than pursuing the 4 digit Daytona
I agree for now I’ll just stick to the 116519LN
Old 13 July 2018, 03:17 AM   #84
Bigblu10
Banned

[QUOTE=Richris1;8758045][QUOTE=fskywalker;8757997]
Quote:

I agree for now I’ll just stick to the 116519LN
You have done many thread polls lately for your watch portfolio. Are you currently bored with your pieces, or are the gears in your head spinning in overdrive now you have retired time on your hands?
Any pics of your current lineup?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:20 AM   #85
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

Meh, makes no sense (to me). I mean if you would trade for some endboss Patek or something, I could understand. Just like Rambo said: “let it go”.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:00 AM   #86
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Sell one of the gold models and get a 116500ln white and then you will have 2 of the nicest Daytona’s. The 116500ln white is somewhat close to the big red but higher quality in just about every way. Also perfect size.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:05 AM   #87
horonet17
"TRF" Member

No way. Have you tried on one of the vintage Daytonas in person? They don't feel like the 6 or even 7 figure watches they've become.
horonet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:15 AM   #88
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I vote 'Trade',

unless you wear more than one watch at a time.
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:51 AM   #89
DahMan
Banned

Ok
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 11:58 AM   #90
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
That sounds quite insane. I wouldn't do it.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote