The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2008, 01:13 PM   #1
A320
"TRF" Member

Pam00000

Hello guys... I need your guys help. Does Pam00000 has inhouse movement in it? Some people told me this watch is kind of difficult to find one in the market. Is that true? Thanks in advance
A320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 01:30 PM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

It is a harder one to find, but not impossible. Check out Paneristi.com for some good selections, but do your homework/research to make sure the sellers are good before you buy.

Also, it is Panerai OP X movement, based off of eta 6497.

See link
Panerai to Base Movement Reference
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
No does not have a inhouse movement, but a slightly modified Unitas pocket watch movement. Now, the advatage to that is that it is a very common movement and any watchmaker could service/repair. But, as with any Panerai watches with this movement, you are paying a significant portion of the watch price for the Brand name and the case, as the movement itself is less than $100. The 0000 is not that hard to find for sale, just have to look around as MFER stated. Personally, I would say go for a 176 over the 0000, as I do like the see through back and titanium case better.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2008, 12:10 AM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

Chad made me think. I forgot about the 176. Sounds like you are just getting into Panerai. Maybe you should look around more before you jump in and buy anything. Panerai's heritage is that they use other people's movements, but in 2002 they started making their own movements. I don't know what your price point is, but all those in house are 10,000 USD plus in price. There are others that use major manufacturers such as Piguet, Zenith and JLC. Those all demand a premium nowadays as people are snatching them up left and right. The 190 is a prime example. An 8 day manual wind JLC movement that is going for 2-3000 over list price. There are even some with Rolex movements, but those will cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Look around more is my suggestion like Chad suggested. There are soooooooo many beautiful Panerai.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2008, 12:41 AM   #5
A320
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot Mik and Chad. Yep, I just getting into Panerai. Interesting watch. I will let you guys know which one I ended up with.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:12 AM   #6
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by A320 View Post
Thanks a lot Mik and Chad. Yep, I just getting into Panerai. Interesting watch. I will let you guys know which one I ended up with.
Interesting watch ......... Oh yes,agree with that one !! Most here would !!

Which ONE I end up .... Dont count on that,soon it may just be TWO or even THREE !!

Enjoy that first PAM !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 01:00 PM   #7
A320
"TRF" Member

One more question: What is the different between Pam0G and Pam0J? Why people are looking for the G series? Is there anything special added to the G series? I am trying to find the answer but no luck... I am pretty sure many experts here can help. Thank you

By the way, I just got my Pam0 but I think it is a J series (the back case has J81.../900 on it). Is it J series? I am looking for a pair of nice vintage straps. Can you guys please recommend me which one I should get? Who makes them? Thank you again...

"TswaneNguni" I will let you know if I love my first Pam and get another one...
Old 28 June 2008, 01:09 PM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Congrads on the 0000!! A great watch! The letter corresponds to the year watch was made. J is April 2007 to April 2008. G would be older, around 2004.

Personally I like the J series better, as you know you have a brand new watch. Plus you will notice their is with the J series an improved Crown Locking lever. Has a small ball bearing ont he end of the lever, which insures tighterclosing of the lever. Thus more secure.

For straps, try out Kaktus strap. Get one of their Drifter straps. Very well made and durable and very classic looking. Or try Rob Montana straps, again very nice and hand made. (do google for both and you will find)

Also checkout www.broadarrrow.net and get a couple of 24mm Zulu webbing straps, great for the pool or fitness.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 04:04 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Congrads on the 0000!! A great watch! The letter corresponds to the year watch was made. J is April 2007 to April 2008. G would be older, around 2004.

Personally I like the J series better, as you know you have a brand new watch. Plus you will notice their is with the J series an improved Crown Locking lever. Has a small ball bearing ont he end of the lever, which insures tighterclosing of the lever. Thus more secure.

For straps, try out Kaktus strap. Get one of their Drifter straps. Very well made and durable and very classic looking. Or try Rob Montana straps, again very nice and hand made. (do google for both and you will find)

Also checkout www.broadarrrow.net and get a couple of 24mm Zulu webbing straps, great for the pool or fitness.

Three Kaktus Beaters on the way... should be arriving soon.Tanned,Brown and Maple.Will post pics asap
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 04:42 PM   #10
raycanales

the Zero is a kick butt Watch but I would also consider an older painted model 112 instead of the new one which is a Sandwich Dial .. my .02

or the Fiver also a cool piece with the sub second hand ...

raycanales is offline   Reply With Quote