The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2019, 02:32 AM   #31
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Looks great on you, imho the SD4K is one of the greatest divers Rolex ever made. I wish I was in a position to pick one up :)
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:02 AM   #32
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Huge SD fan here, however I would NOT sell my 16610 for the 116600. Owned the reference several times prior to the price jump and was not impressed. The 16610 is a true classic. The one reference that is a must have, IMO. Have it serviced and continue to enjoy. I also cannot justify the 12/13k 116600 asking prices. It is a nice watch but not worth THAT much in my book.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:05 AM   #33
aurenas
"TRF" Member

How thick is SD4K compared with 6dig sub?

Instagram watchauren
aurenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:07 AM   #34
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurenas View Post
How thick is SD4K compared with 6dig sub?

It’s 15mm vs 13mm.

The big difference, for me anyway, is that it actually wears smaller due to the thinner lugs and crown guards plus shorter lug-lug. It seems like it would be the opposite. But it’s just the case shape that makes it wear small.

I found Doxa’s to be the same. They’re 42mm cases but with small dials and short lugs, they were more like 39mm than 42mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #35
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Get the SD4k!!! (I’m actually wearing mine as I reply to this post)
I bought mine about 6 months ago and I love it more now than I did when I got it.
The lug profile and pretty much everything about it is amazing. In a sea of submariners, this is a fresh yet subtle difference with the feel and general look of a Sub. Only watch geeks will be able to tell the difference right off the bat but that’s a good thing. I happen to love the extra weight and the extra features mainly because it makes it more unique plus I’m sure you know it was only made for 3 years. Definitely worth every penny imho. Bottom line you won’t regret getting it if you do. Good luck! Oh and it looks great on your wrist
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 03:17 AM   #36
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post

The lug profile and pretty much everything about it is amazing.

That’s what it’s really about. I do not like any 6 digit references on my wrist at all. GMT or Sub to be specific. They look too square. With this, the lugs being just that much shorter and thinner make such a difference.

I’ve seen 6 digit GMTs on people who are bigger wrists and are larger is stature and they look fantastic. It’s just for me, it doesn’t do it.

Old 28 December 2019, 06:23 AM   #37
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I think its totally worth it! I can never understand people saying its not worth the extra money when people are paying nearly double for a basic submariner and a black GMT which previously people weren't interested in! The SD4K truly gives you something different features wise in a very common line up that are all basically the same case, and ive yet to see anyone wearing one in the wild. Be different! I enjoy mine massively!
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:46 AM   #38
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Well — we can close the thread on opinions.

I went back today and pulled the trigger. Got what I thought was a very fair price for my Sub and they lowered the price of SD.

I gotta say, this thing is so well balanced and well proportioned. I never liked the way the GMT clasp fit on my wrist. I couldn’t get it to wrap well. For some reason the bracelet with the glidelock wraps much better. Maybe it’s the way the glidelock works where there are more links on the 6 o’clock side? Whatever it is, it works. And even though the height is 15mm, it doesn’t appear overly tall or large at all. For the life of me I can’t understand why Rolex bailed on this design.

Anyway ... Very happy I spent a little extra and went with the 4K.

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. It all helped.

Old 28 December 2019, 06:46 AM   #39
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Pretty clear to me you want a SD4K so I’d say crack on and get one. You won’t be disappointed

ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:17 AM   #40
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
Well — we can close the thread on opinions.

I went back today and pulled the trigger. Got what I thought was a very fair price for my Sub and they lowered the price of SD.

I gotta say, this thing is so well balanced and well proportioned. I never liked the way the GMT clasp fit on my wrist. I couldn’t get it to wrap well. For some reason the bracelet with the glidelock wraps much better. Maybe it’s the way the glidelock works where there are more links on the 6 o’clock side? Whatever it is, it works. And even though the height is 15mm, it doesn’t appear overly tall or large at all. For the life of me I can’t understand why Rolex bailed on this design.

Anyway ... Very happy I spent a little extra and went with the 4K.

Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. It all helped.

Congratulations!

Please, post more pics to see how it fits you (including side pics to see the height).
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:22 AM   #41
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Get what you like....they all look great on you
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:23 AM   #42
epicurus
"TRF" Member

and....you made a good choice. CONGRATS
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:29 AM   #43
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoNegro View Post
Please, post more pics to see how it fits you (including side pics to see the height).

Here you go.

I wear my watches tight, with almost no slack, and above the wrist bone. Tried to get as natural shots as I could without flexing my wrist, which always makes these watches look taller, but no one practically walks around like that... the watch fits slimmer that it reads on paper if properly sized. Though I’m aided here by a very FLAT 6.75-7 inch wrist. I think the extra surface area due to my wrist being flat really helps.

What I’m wearing now is a 3/4 fleece pull over cuffed back, with a thin underarmour 3/4 pullover under it. The watch slides right under both the fleece and under armor if I naturally put my wrists down. It doesn’t get caught up. This is the type of attire I wear almost all the time...

Old 28 December 2019, 09:21 AM   #44
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Congrats- was traveling for Christmas and logged in to reply to your post today - and found you pulled the trigger! 7in wrist... I traded in my DJ41 and absolutely love my sd4k. Glad you made the decision and I’m sure it will get lots of wrist time
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 09:53 AM   #45
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I always seem to keep coming back to my SD4000.

Read about the red date wheel here. https://www.minus4plus6.com/SD4000.php

~ Sheldon
Old 28 December 2019, 11:14 AM   #46
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Jmbarrack, you have chosen wisely! Congrats!
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 11:37 AM   #47
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Yeah and my 16610 is in good shape. The bracelet is tight still and the lugs are sharp. What I really like is the solid bracelet with glidelock and the matte dial. I love the look of the matte dials but they’re only on the newer 43 mm SD and the Explorer. Another reason why this one keeps ticking off the boxes for me.

I didn’t think I would like it because I just have always been turned off by the 6 digit references after my BLNR, but this one I kept gravitating toward when it was in front of me.

Lots of good feedback so far. If you love the matte dial, go for it. It looks great on you and you’ll enjoy it. All those watches look good on you. As mentioned, the upgrade is the bracelet and ceramic. Same movement. And ceramic is brittle. I chipped mine.

Plan on a service for either watch. It’s time for yours and the other may need it.

Glide lock is awesome. Amazing. I’d upgrade just for that if it was my one and only.

I had a 116600 back when they were unpopular and discounted. Great piece. Thought about adding it back but went other directions.

Good luck
Old 28 December 2019, 03:07 PM   #48
LemaniaChrono
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on the purchase!
I was in a similar situation when I bought mine this past April. I didn't like any of the 6 digit models with their big lugs and cyclops. I like it for all the reasons you mentioned. I bought mine pre-owned and it needed a service. To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed before I got it serviced. It was running fast, the case had a few dings on it the seller didn't disclose and the crown gasket was definitely perished. I sent to RSC for service and I really have grown to like it. I like it and appreciate it for what it is but I could see myself selling it if I find myself really wanting a VC Overseas or AP Royal Oak or if I buy a new car or house. My one issue is the height/thickness. In a business environment it can be difficult to wear under the cuff and many notice the Rolex. I have since purchased a 5 digit GMT, Root Beer, currently being serviced at Rolliworks. It certainly stands out being two tone but since it fits under a cuff and looks "older" and it oddly fits better in a business environment.
In terms of is the 116600 or 5 digit GMTS being overpriced you can certainly look at it that way but who knows. I certainly think about what else I could do with the money when a big expense come around, like buying a car tomorrow.
Rolex tends to keep it's value relative to other brands and hopefully I can get out of the watches 70-80% of what I paid if not better. The watch looks like it fits you well. Enjoy your watch and the journey.
LemaniaChrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 05:42 PM   #49
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

i have a SD4K.

it is the best diver imho

the size and slightly tapered lugs are the best
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:08 PM   #50
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here you go.

Many thanks!

Looks great. Enjoy it!
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:18 PM   #51
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Congrats, good choice!

glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 10:33 PM   #52
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Thanks all! Really enjoying this one. It’s keeping perfect time. I think the last owner may have barely worn it as it still has that tight bracelet squeak.

Thanks for all your input. Definitely made the right decision.

Old 17 April 2020, 01:35 PM   #53
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just can’t help but keep thinking about the benefits of the SD4K over the 5 digits. I really love the matte dial and maxi markers. Plus the fact that it has a short lug measurement and more taper to them. You get solid bracelets and the benefits of a 6 while close portions to a 5. Seems too good to be true.

My only hesitation is are all these things worth the price tag they go for now?

I know a lot of people say yes because of how rare the production run was. But I don’t care much about resale value nor future value here. I’m just trying to find that one perfect watch for me...

If it even exists.

The price is my hesitation as well. It's just so hard to shell out 5 figures for a steel diver that's most likely out of warranty.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:57 PM   #54
Achtung6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Diver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
The price is my hesitation as well. It's just so hard to shell out 5 figures for a steel diver that's most likely out of warranty.

I’ve always viewed a Rolex warranty as superfluous. These things just don’t fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Achtung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:37 PM   #55
Aymara59
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I own the same SD4k model and I truly enjoy it! Wear it in good health!
Aymara59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:26 PM   #56
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim14 View Post
I love the SD4K but I can't get past the end links sticking past the lugs. It's the only Rolex I've seen like that. Does anyone know if there is an end link that can be swapped on the SD4K that doesn't stick out? From another model perhaps.
Actually there are other models that do this. SD4K just gets all the flack for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 04:11 PM   #57
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
SD,

Looks great
Is great
Solid choice!
Old 21 April 2020, 11:52 PM   #58
Heimdall
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR SD4K PP 5167A
First of all, SD4K fits perfectly on your wrist. Second, I was unsure on whether to get a Submariner with date or a SD4K. After trying both I went with SD4K and do not regret. Fits better, no cyclops, not in production and still modern with glidelock, etc. Great watch!
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 01:23 AM   #59
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Don’t think you can go wrong with 116600
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote