The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Rolex Lover

Watch: Submariner 16610 M
Automatic Seiko Accuracy!!!!

Folks,

The COSC standards are very clear for Swiss Chronometer watches, but I have a question about the accuracy of Seiko automatic watches. I bought a BNIB Seiko SKX009J PEPSI and I discovered that it speeds up around 20 seconds per day!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal??? Or does it need service like the demagnetizing done for Rolex watches??? Your thoughts and advices are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
--ak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02670.JPG (157.0 KB, 154 views)
Rolex Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 09:45 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
My Black Monster runs between +7-10. I just live with it. Plus 20 is a lot though. Wait for the others to see what type of experiences thay have
Old 9 April 2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Rolex Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
My Black Monster runs between +7-10. I just live with it. Plus 20 is a lot though. Wait for the others to see what type of experiences thay have
Thanks a lot, my friend!!!
Old 9 April 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
lbcgav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Lover View Post
Folks,

The COSC standards are very clear for Swiss Chronometer watches, but I have a question about the accuracy of Seiko automatic watches. I bought a BNIB Seiko SKX009J PEPSI and I discovered that it speeds up around 20 seconds per day!!!!!!!!!!! Is this normal??? Or does it need service like the demagnetizing done for Rolex watches??? Your thoughts and advices are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
--ak
How long have you had it? I've read that these watches can start off a little fast or slow but get better as you wear them. BTW, I just got an SKX007 today.
lbcgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Let it settle in, then go get it regulated.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Rolex Lover

10 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcgav View Post
How long have you had it? I've read that these watches can start off a little fast or slow but get better as you wear them. BTW, I just got an SKX007 today.
I got it less than 10 days ago from Saudi Arabia!!! I don't wear it all the time, may be couple of hours per day.
Old 9 April 2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Rolex Lover

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
Let it settle in, then go get it regulated.
Hi Ed, do you mean to keep it unworn, then take it to the dealer to be regulated?

Thanks,
--ak
Old 9 April 2009, 10:36 AM   #8
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @kuwaitinglist
Hey Ahmed,

My 009 gains 1+ or 2+ seconds a day max and somehow it loses them the following days. It would be fast a second or two then be spot on a few days later. This is definately an exception and probably temporary, since my previous seiiko gained 6+ to 8+ seconds a day, but 20 is a lot. Wear it more often, let it settle in like everyone else said. And try placing it on the bed table in different positions when you sleep, winder up/down, dial up. See what gives better results.
MYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Got a Vintage Seiko 6139 Chrono complete set......

Picked this up today. An all original 6139 6005 Seiko Chronograph. The serial # dates it to Feb of 1973. The inner ring looks white in the pics but it is a faded yellow The last pic is the 1973 price tag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (68.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 092.jpg (49.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 094.jpg (45.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 085.jpg (91.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 9 April 2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Rolex Lover

Ver Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
Picked this up today. An all original 6139 6005 Seiko Chronograph. The serial # dates it to Feb of 1973. The inner ring looks white in the pics but it is a faded yellow The last pic is the 1973 price tag

Very nice, Jim!!! Enjoy your new baby
Old 9 April 2009, 01:10 PM   #11
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Mine is losing about a second a day. I'm amazed by how accurate the watch is.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 05:49 PM   #12
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Folks,

Thanks,
--ak
i think 20 seconds is on the high side but still reasonable for that movement. if it was a daily wearer i might get it regulated if it didn't settle down after awhile - but with all those nice watches you have, me thinks you'll only wear it occassionaly - so i wouldn't give it too much thought.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 07:52 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Folks,

Thanks,
--ak
What I have found with the majority of the standard Seiko movements they tend to be between +10-+20 out of the box.But the movement soon settles down to less,but can easily be regulated to within the COSC standard.But might need re-regulating more often than say Rolex.The first signs of a watch being magnetised is it will run very very erratic generally speed up quite a lot,sometimes by minutes a hour or come to a complete stop.Now if watch is 20 seconds a fast every day,then its still accurate, consistency is the most important thing with mechanical watches.And all that could be needed is just a bit of regulation but give it a few weeks first.Now looking at the other side of the coin the Seiko high end mechanical watches like the Seiko Grand.They are tested to a far higher standard than the Swiss COSC.The Japanese and European Din standard for Chronometer watches is -2+4 seconds a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2009, 10:20 PM   #14
Rolex Lover

Thanks a lot folks!!!!