The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2022, 12:07 AM   #31
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Where is the line for most of you where you believe corporations/government would do this….but oh no, they wouldn’t do that?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 12:18 AM   #32
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Where is the line for most of you where you believe corporations/government would do this….but oh no, they wouldn’t do that?
We here in the states at least have decided this is a no no for the government, but for cooperations (more powerful than the government but we don’t want to admit that) but perfectly fine for large corporations. The masses are too busy oooh and ahhh over the the latest app to get ourselves attention (Facebook, then the gram, now tic toc) and have become so used to the dopamine kicks and conditioned to believe that we need constant recognition in the virtual world people are willing to give up privacy for it, because we need the dopamine hit and the likes and attention. It’s almost become like we simply don’t exist outside of the virtual world and I would wager that the majority of us now spend more time in the virtual world than the real world.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 02:18 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
We here in the states at least have decided this is a no no for the government, but for cooperations (more powerful than the government but we don’t want to admit that) but perfectly fine for large corporations. The masses are too busy oooh and ahhh over the the latest app to get ourselves attention (Facebook, then the gram, now tic toc) and have become so used to the dopamine kicks and conditioned to believe that we need constant recognition in the virtual world people are willing to give up privacy for it, because we need the dopamine hit and the likes and attention. It’s almost become like we simply don’t exist outside of the virtual world and I would wager that the majority of us now spend more time in the virtual world than the real world.
That's what Mark Zuckerberg is betting on.
Old 28 November 2022, 02:55 AM   #34
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
That's not even close to the truth.

I have Echo devices all over my apartment, five to be exact.

I like music in every room, while I walking around. I like to turn lights on and off with just my voice. I like to do the same with my phone app, when I'm not at home for various reasons. I like music from my music library and also from the enormous library of Amazon Music.

As for listening devices in the home, just be aware that since the widespread adoption of the telephone, there has been a listening device in virtually every home in the country for over a century. And don't forget the cellphones that abound and almost everyone has within reach at all times.

You can also use the app to see all the recorded material, which isn't much and is of no use to anyone, and erase it all at will. Each device has a button to disable the microphone also.

I'm like most people, it seems, as I don't use my Echo devices to buy products. I can do that well enough from my computer without Alexa's help.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the so-called "smart home."
Ok, your avatar only makes you look like a detective.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amazons-a...mart-assistant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...is-whole-time/
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 06:47 AM   #35
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBobo View Post
I'm aware of all the things in those articles. I researched all that years ago.

My computer and smartphone do the same thing, and I don't have to speak a word. My searches and other activities provide data to various entities, although a lot of it is anonymous.

What I am saying is that Alexa listens for wake words and records what is said afterwards. If you have the app, you can browse everything that's been recorded, which I do periodically. Honestly, what's been recorded doesn't even makes sense to me, unless it's something like "turn on a light," or "play music," or "what's the temperature."

Periodically, I'll erase all that and start over.

Alexa makes my life a little simpler and a little bit more enjoyable without telling some nosy government agent what's going on around the house.

Your keyboard provides more easily accessed information than Alexa does and you can confirm that for yourself, if you so desire.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 10:16 AM   #36
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
One in the same...but most don't want to admit that either.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 01:02 PM   #37
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve often thought I should’ve been born in the 30’s and been a young man in the 50’s. Simpler times.
I suppose that's ok if one wasn't born and living in Europe with parents that had the capacity to get out in time.
The mid 40's was probably the best time to be born. In one of the western countries at least
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 07:42 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I suppose that's ok if one wasn't born and living in Europe with parents that had the capacity to get out in time.

The mid 40's was probably the best time to be born. In one of the western countries at least
Referring to being born here in my home country of Canada.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 09:21 PM   #39
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
No Siri or Alexa for me, even the voice control to enter a destination in the navigation I don’t use.
Old 28 November 2022, 10:14 PM   #40
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
No Siri or Alexa for me, even the voice control to enter a destination in the navigation I don’t use.
BMW voice control/navigation setting is appalling
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 11:37 PM   #41
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Literally 90% of my use of Alexa is "How old is xxx?" Or "What is the weather?"

Hard to make money off those sorts of questions. I'm sure Amazon figured people would be making tons of orders from Alexa. In several years I've done this exactly zero times.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:49 AM   #42
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
BMW voice control/navigation setting is appalling
It has come a long way
Old 30 November 2022, 01:41 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The interesting thing in this article is that the reason that Alexa, Siri etc are bombing isn't because they don't work that well, it's that the companies can't figure out how to monetize it.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/23/...il&sponsored=0
Old 30 November 2022, 08:25 AM   #44
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The interesting thing in this article is that the reason that Alexa, Siri etc are bombing isn't because they don't work that well, it's that the companies can't figure out how to monetize it.
I can't figure out why Amazon thought that people would need or want a remote speaker/personal assistant to order products from Amazon.

As I've said before, I love the product, but I can order stuff from my computer much more easily than I can by voice and I don't need disembodied voices to remind me when it's time to reorder something.

I have Amazon Prime and Amazon Music Unlimited and as far as subscriptions that's enough for me. Those work just fine. I certainly won't be willing to pay for a subscription just the use the basic services, over and above what I'm paying now.

I hope they get their act together and retool the project, so that I can continue with the services I appreciate most.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #45
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Referring to being born here in my home country of Canada.

Not to derail this thread but it’s an interesting thought experiment, what would be the best decade to have been born in and why. I grew up in the ‘80s. We played outside with other kids everyday till dark, no watchful parents that I was aware of. The tech I most loved was our VHS player. You’d get an “overnight new release” and some three-day hires too, and watch a favourite one a good few times if you liked it. It didn’t feel like limited choice at the time, but it inspired rewatching. I like CDs still for that same reason.

Siri et al. give me the heebie jeebies.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:57 AM   #46
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/23/...il&sponsored=0

Hardware costs also present a significant problem. The idea around Alexa, compared to the way customers actually ended up using it were very different. If Alexa reminded you to buy laundry detergent, you would say Alexa order. Once reoccurring ordering popped up, Alexa no longer receives credit for that action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 12:08 PM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Not to derail this thread but it’s an interesting thought experiment, what would be the best decade to have been born in and why. I grew up in the ‘80s. We played outside with other kids everyday till dark, no watchful parents that I was aware of. The tech I most loved was our VHS player. You’d get an “overnight new release” and some three-day hires too, and watch a favourite one a good few times if you liked it. It didn’t feel like limited choice at the time, but it inspired rewatching. I like CDs still for that same reason.

Siri et al. give me the heebie jeebies.
I agree Matt, we must be a similar age

I always thought it would've been great to be a teenager/young man in the 50's something about that time seems like it would have suited me.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 01:43 PM   #48
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
I agree Matt, we must be a similar age

I always thought it would've been great to be a teenager/young man in the 50's something about that time seems like it would have suited me.

I think so too. To be young when all that great music was coming out every week would have been exciting. People dressed well and, in my mind, the women all looked like Monica Vitti in L’Avventura
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 06:23 AM   #49
bkknight369
"TRF" Member

Its an amazing technology that was wasted due to in-fighting and empire building. In the beginning the focus was trying to figure out what customer problems we could solve, and clever ways to make their lives easier.

After launch, Alexa became to place to go if you wanted a quick promotion. Managers built large organizations on fairly small charters, beaucracy slowed innovation, and toxic culture was created between Alexa and the rest of Amazon (especially after put in the growth accelerator where all new hire offers would ALSO go out with an Alexa offer).

That first couple of years building it was spectacular. After that, it became the modern day version of Office Space
bkknight369 is offline   Reply With Quote