The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2020, 08:32 AM   #91
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouro9999 View Post
I can not compete with someone who bought not one, but two Rolex watches at grey dealers.
I'm not asking you to. I am not competing with you. You may think you are competing with me but you're not.

How about the question I posed in my second point? Is it OK to use a grey dealer to obtain a watch at less that MSRP or is that wrong too?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 08:58 AM   #92
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouro9999 View Post
I would pay more for a great vintage

Not even for a ceramic daytona i would pay above retail, as this watch is available at Rolex catalogue.

I tell all my friends not to do it, instead buy something new (from other brands)

Enviado de meu SM-G975F usando o Tapatalk

So you will happily pay more for an old inferior used watch than a new superior watch just because of an MRSP?

And you tell your friends to buy another watch brand at MRSP which will lose half it’s value immediately, instead of buying a hot Rolex which despite its inflated price, will be worth more in a year than it is today?

I get the principle of the message, but I think these two statements are a bit bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:43 AM   #93
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I'm not asking you to. I am not competing with you. You may think you are competing with me but you're not.

How about the question I posed in my second point? Is it OK to use a grey dealer to obtain a watch at less that MSRP or is that wrong too?
I like this angle.
If you REALLY want to undermine the grey market sellers, put all of your desirable stainless steel professional model Rolex watches for sale for 1/2 of what you paid for them. After all, its the principle, right?
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:45 AM   #94
hallidc
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII / DaytonaC
Supply v demand my friend. That will never change.
hallidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:12 AM   #95
Skydwella
Banned

Watch: Only Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Market prices are market prices, for better or worse. People seem to hate this as a buyer, but will turn-face and embrace it as a seller. Worst yet, "value retention" or "appreciation" is what draws many to Rolex. To me, it is very much a chicken vs the egg.
Very good point.
Skydwella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:16 AM   #96
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Comes from the movie Pulp Fiction where Christopher Walken plays a Vietnam vet who gives a boy his father's gold watch which he hid from others in his you got it.
Pretty sure he says "ass" not "rectum".
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:19 AM   #97
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Just go with the flow and be happy.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:24 AM   #98
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Agree, I would pay $1M over for Ferrari Ferrari aperta as it is worth $5M over msrp. Just like many will be $16k for Daytona ss quickly. When we can get way below marker value it is a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Don't believe you. What if a watch you really wanted was offered at literally ONE PENCE over retail price?
I think you'd pay above retail, just like the next man/woman would.
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:32 AM   #99
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
I just bought a 116500 white from a grey here on TRF. I paid approx $10k over retail. If the wait time from an AD is 5 years, I’m paying $166/mo to enjoy the watch during that time. Worth it? It was for me
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:36 AM   #100
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Super tired about this topic.... People complying about the premium price Bla Bla Bla.... If you have the opportunity to get a SS sport model from AD lucky you if not well you can go and buy it from Grey and pay the price.... If you don't want or you don't have the opportunity to get it from AD well bad luck that's it.... People can do whatever they want with they money.... It's like to try to get a super car... Ferrary Lamborghini Porsche make special cars if you can get one nice if not pay the price that's it.....
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 10:43 AM   #101
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

We should help stopping the madness.

Just silly - if you want a Daytona SS or Pepsi and don’t want to wait eons for them, you will have to pay “market pricing”, which could be anywhere from 70-200% more than MSRP.

If you want an Omega, would you be willing to pay only MSRP or “market pricing” at 40% less than MSRP?

Is your time worth nothing? Would you not get value out if having the watch sooner?

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:20 PM   #102
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I've never paid retail. I'll certainly never pay over it. In my current situation, the end doesn't justify the means.

Would I bite the bullet if I had the means and could have it sooner? I doubt it. When it comes to other things in my life, time is a factor and has a monetary value. However, in this hobby, time can come at a heavy price. To me, that price is not practical and can be much better spent elsewhere.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:25 PM   #103
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
We should help stopping the madness.

I have to agree on not feeding the madness. The sooner we all stop buying the sooner these watches are less in demand. There are a lot of other brands that have serious value and that’s where I will be focusing my consumer dollars on

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:30 PM   #104
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I've never paid retail. I'll certainly never pay over it. In my current situation, the end doesn't justify the means.

Would I bite the bullet if I had the means and could have it sooner? I doubt it. When it comes to other things in my life, time is a factor and has a monetary value. However, in this hobby, time can come at a heavy price. To me, that price is not practical and can be much better spent elsewhere.
Great way to look at it. I'm not going to dictate what people can do with their money but I feel like some people have a bizarre desire to get a piece ASAP. Watches are not a priority and I can live waiting for something. Of course I'm not a one watch guy, I have a decent amount of watches so I'm never desperate for the next piece. I can kind of understand it if you are a one and done person but I feel that a lot of people are buying because of FOMO

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:33 PM   #105
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
I have to agree on not feeding the madness. The sooner we all stop buying the sooner these watches are less in demand. There are a fond other brands that have serious value and that’s where I will be focusing my consumer dollars on

Yes its rather a little sad to see as a watch lover that some people buy only on value retention or flippability and end up missing out on some great alternatives due to FOMO. Although I wouldn't say stop buying the watches but rather stop buying from grays. Grays get their stock from the exact same ADs we all go to. If we dont give the grays the market, then it'll discourage the flippers looking to make a quick buck.

Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 12:53 PM   #106
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Yes its rather a little sad to see as a watch lover that some people buy only on value retention or flippability and end up missing out on some great alternatives due to FOMO. Although I wouldn't say stop buying the watches but rather stop buying from grays. Grays get their stock from the exact same ADs we all go to. If we dont give the grays the market, then it'll discourage the flippers looking to make a quick buck.

Very true my friend. I personally can’t buy from the grays. The China man in me won’t allow me to, I’m asian and I’m cheap .

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:01 PM   #107
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
FOMO
I had to Google that. Sign of getting old, maybe.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:00 PM   #108
OutColed
"TRF" Member

I’m over Rolex at this point. I’m in the market for a new BLNR, have been for 6 months or so now. This is a want, not a need, so I’ll revisit the idea in a year or three when the insanity is gone, or my AD calls and has a watch for me in inventory.
OutColed is offline   Reply With Quote