The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #1
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3714 Portugieser
I want a speedmaster, now what?

After being on the trf forum for close to 2 years now. I never thought once to finding myself under the Omega section but as I had recently taking my wife ladymatic for service (phenomenal job with service and a light polish) I wouldnt help but to getting the moon watch. Now there are so many variations of the speedy and I have no idea where to begin.... can anyone shine on some light how you decided which speedy to get?

I'm looking on the seconardary market and preowned. Noticed that they depreciate a little bit..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 04:59 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Hesalite Speedmaster Pro 42mm, The Moon Watch, and its over. Ref 311.30.42.30.01.005
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #3
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
I have no idea where to begin.... can anyone shine on some light how you decided which speedy to get?

The vintage guys would say get a vintage Speedmaster or Speedmaster Professional, preferably before the changeover from the the cal. 321 to the cal. 861 around 1968. However, they are expensive, although without the depreciation downside if you buy a "good" one.

The non-vintage purists would say get a later Speedy Pro with a Hesalite crystal, and if you can swing one before the changeover to Luminova lume in the late-1990s, then you might just get that nice patina that Tritium develops. Depreciation may not be an issue with the Tritium models, as these are becoming neo-vintage.

The guys who want trouble-free daily wearing of a Moonwatch would say get one with a sapphire crystal, and preferably with an exhibition case back because Omega dressed up the movement for those. Alternatively, there is the smaller First Omega in Space (FOIS).

Then there is the upcoming "Ed White" tribute with the "new" 321 for those that think it is worth the asking price and can afford it.

All of the above are "plain" Speedmasters and Speedmaster Professionals, with a black dial and black tachymetre bezel. There are also many variations on those with various colours and patches that were released as limited or special editions, or into particular markets (Japan, Germany and Italy in particular).

Penultimately, there are those who are not too fussed about owning a "proper" Moonwatch, and will happily wear anything that Omega has chosen to market with the label "Moonwatch". Mostly those are the watches called the "XXXX Side of the Moon", and they are in a larger 44mm case with the modern co-axial automatic movement inside, but there are also variations with a moon phase complication, and probably a whole lot more that I've never seen.

Finally, there are many other watches in the Speedmaster family, that are not marketed as "Moonwatch", but link way back to the original Motorsport heritage of the watch, or are the "next steps" in the evolution. I'd include in that bunch those labelled "Racing" (both old and new variations), "57", and even anything from "Mark II" to "Mark V" (although now we are stretching the friendship a bit).

I have no idea of your budget or your wrist size, but if it was me taking my first foray into the Speedmaster world, I would buy a nice late-90s Speedy Pro with tritium lume and a Hesalite crystal, on a bracelet and with the full set. Alternatively, I might consider the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster limited edition from a few years ago. They are a very nice (and accurate) re-edition of the first ever Speedmaster, and prices of these have fallen somewhat in the marketplace as the speculators have sold off their accumulated stock, so the depreciation hit is lessened somewhat.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 05:15 AM   #4
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King

I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago and chose the Professional "sapphire sandwich" and am glad I did. It's like buying a brand new 50 year old watch. The only big difference to me is the modern bracelet and the sapphire crystals front and back.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Speedmaster, they are all winners!

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 05:57 AM   #5
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5518 View Post

I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago and chose the Professional "sapphire sandwich" and am glad I did. It's like buying a brand new 50 year old watch. The only big difference to me is the modern bracelet and the sapphire crystals front and back.

Thank you for the picture. I'll take a look into it

Old 21 February 2020, 06:02 AM   #6
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
The vintage guys would say get a vintage Speedmaster or Speedmaster Professional, preferably before the changeover from the the cal. 321 to the cal. 861 around 1968. However, they are expensive, although without the depreciation downside if you buy a "good" one.

The non-vintage purists would say get a later Speedy Pro with a Hesalite crystal, and if you can swing one before the changeover to Luminova lume in the late-1990s, then you might just get that nice patina that Tritium develops. Depreciation may not be an issue with the Tritium models, as these are becoming neo-vintage.

The guys who want trouble-free daily wearing of a Moonwatch would say get one with a sapphire crystal, and preferably with an exhibition case back because Omega dressed up the movement for those. Alternatively, there is the smaller First Omega in Space (FOIS).

Then there is the upcoming "Ed White" tribute with the "new" 321 for those that think it is worth the asking price and can afford it.

All of the above are "plain" Speedmasters and Speedmaster Professionals, with a black dial and black tachymetre bezel. There are also many variations on those with various colours and patches that were released as limited or special editions, or into particular markets (Japan, Germany and Italy in particular).

Penultimately, there are those who are not too fussed about owning a "proper" Moonwatch, and will happily wear anything that Omega has chosen to market with the label "Moonwatch". Mostly those are the watches called the "XXXX Side of the Moon", and they are in a larger 44mm case with the modern co-axial automatic movement inside, but there are also variations with a moon phase complication, and probably a whole lot more that I've never seen.

Finally, there are many other watches in the Speedmaster family, that are not marketed as "Moonwatch", but link way back to the original Motorsport heritage of the watch, or are the "next steps" in the evolution. I'd include in that bunch those labelled "Racing" (both old and new variations), "57", and even anything from "Mark II" to "Mark V" (although now we are stretching the friendship a bit).

I have no idea of your budget or your wrist size, but if it was me taking my first foray into the Speedmaster world, I would buy a nice late-90s Speedy Pro with tritium lume and a Hesalite crystal, on a bracelet and with the full set. Alternatively, I might consider the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster limited edition from a few years ago. They are a very nice (and accurate) re-edition of the first ever Speedmaster, and prices of these have fallen somewhat in the marketplace as the speculators have sold off their accumulated stock, so the depreciation hit is lessened somewhat.
Hi arcadelt, thank you so much for the input. I see it's a lot more complicated than I initially thought. However, I do want the speedmaster professional line, just so I dont have to be bothered with any headache and repairs (I been burnt by other brands but I know very well that omega calibre are super robust). I'm going to do some research based on all of your inputs and will let you know my final decision.

I will eliminate the ed white on the new calibre 321 as it's a bit above the budget. After seeing a lot of variation and price, I'm comfortable in paying up to $5k(usd) but will be more content if I could find one in modest condition for 2k.

Old 21 February 2020, 07:23 AM   #7
YouGotWristRolled
"TRF" Member

I was just in your shoes this week and ended up getting the Hesalite version (ref. 311.30.42.30.01.005). I looked at the sapphire sandwich side by side with the Hesalite and just preferred the look of the Hesalite better. I didn't mind the white ring that the sapphire created, but there was something cool about the Hesalite that caught my eye.

I am a little nervous about the scratches but I've read over and over that the Hesalite is more durable than it seems and that you can buff out most of the scuffs and scratches fairly easily.

Picking it up tomorrow and can't wait!
YouGotWristRolled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #8
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Hi arcadelt, thank you so much for the input. I see it's a lot more complicated than I initially thought. However, I do want the speedmaster professional line, just so I dont have to be bothered with any headache and repairs (I been burnt by other brands but I know very well that omega calibre are super robust). I'm going to do some research based on all of your inputs and will let you know my final decision.

I will eliminate the ed white on the new calibre 321 as it's a bit above the budget. After seeing a lot of variation and price, I'm comfortable in paying up to $5k(usd) but will be more content if I could find one in modest condition for 2k.

If pre-owned is what you're looking for, and size isn't an issue, there was a 44.25mm automatic moonwatch that was only around for a few years. It has a date and WR to 100m instead of 50m. It has the black dial, white hands, but with an automatic movement. I do have to say the crown guards on the speedy pro (I chose a sapphire sandwich because the movement is mesmerizing) are somewhat of a pain sometimes to wind.

If pre-owned is what you're looking for, check out tambo watches. I bought my first speedmaster from him and was super impressed. I believe he is an Omega master watchmaker and reconditions older pieces.

Here's a link to it's reference on a strap.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31133445101001

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 09:32 AM   #9
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have a Speedy Moon with hesalite. Original owner, no scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:18 AM   #10
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I recommend the basic Speedmaster Professional, steel on steel, reference 311.30.42.30.01.005

MSRP is $5,350, and I think these days you can count on 20% off sticker from authorized dealers. Very nice used ones are in the $3k range. I doubt you'll find one for the $2k target you mention, at least not one you would want.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31130423001005

Most guys buy it on the bracelet and then choose a strap or two. I wear mine on its bracelet in the summer and then switch to Omega's excellent black alligator and deployant buckle setup in the winter.

I like the warm luster of the Hesalite crystal. Order a tube of Polywatch for polishing the crystal when needed (maybe twice/year at most for me) and I think you'll dig the way it looks.

If you get the chance to, take a minute to wind the movement of the actual watch you're going to buy, or if needed, ask the seller to wind it and report to you; some examples of the Speedmaster Pro require more force to wind than they should (probably seals or something else dragging on the stem, I don't really know). As long as you get one that winds as smoothly and easily as it should, then owning and winding one every day is a joy. One that's too stiff is no fun.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 10:34 AM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Most people will say to get the standard issue Speedy Pro, which I also have, but you really should go try them all on. They make some fantastic Speedmasters that are outside of the standard Professional line.

The Dark Side is now a modern classic and it’s awesome. The new-ish Racing models are great too, and the moon phase models are stunning.

Have fun, let us know what you get!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:00 PM   #12
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I’ve recently been through this very dilemma. I looked at almost every type of speedy on sale, from more vintage to modern. Even all the Limited Edition versions (like the recent 50th, the 45th and the two speedy Tuesdays.

In the end, I always came back to one model. That was the hesalite moonwatch. I picked one up last weekend at a local AD here. I got a reasonable discount of around 16%. Sure I could have got better at a grey or used but I wil never be selling this watch so I wanted to be it’s first true owner. Depreciation means nothing to me on watches as I don’t buy to sell.

One week into ownership and I’m still over the moon with it. I was initially concerned about the manual wind and lack of date. Neither have been an issue and I actually love both parts.

Mine takes about 20 winds each morning. I’ve added it into my routine as I put my shoes on before heading out for work.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i got the sapphire version. it is a little thinner profile due to the exhibition caseback which is also nice to look at. sapphire also very resistant to scratch in the long term.

plus the new package is very nice. loupe, springbar tool, nato straps, giant box

caliber 1863.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:26 PM   #14
1kw
"TRF" Member

Get a new Saphire sandwich speedy pro and order a 50th anniversary bracelet . You will then have a truly retro looking brand new watch that will look like a mint condition 50 year old watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=724852
1kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 09:55 PM   #15
Watch2019
"TRF" Member

I have the standard Moonwatch and though I like it, I rather dislike its non-user-friendly crown when it comes to winding (so unlike the user-friendly crown on the DeVille Tresor, another hand-wound watch). May wish to factor this in if you decide to buy it.
Watch2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:01 AM   #16
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I’ve recently been through this very dilemma. I looked at almost every type of speedy on sale, from more vintage to modern. Even all the Limited Edition versions (like the recent 50th, the 45th and the two speedy Tuesdays.

In the end, I always came back to one model. That was the hesalite moonwatch. I picked one up last weekend at a local AD here. I got a reasonable discount of around 16%. Sure I could have got better at a grey or used but I wil never be selling this watch so I wanted to be it’s first true owner. Depreciation means nothing to me on watches as I don’t buy to sell.

One week into ownership and I’m still over the moon with it. I was initially concerned about the manual wind and lack of date. Neither have been an issue and I actually love both parts.

Mine takes about 20 winds each morning. I’ve added it into my routine as I put my shoes on before heading out for work.

I too am leaning towards the hesalite crystal with a thinner profile than the sapphire crystal. Neither of my chronos have date function so it’s not a huge dealbreaker for me. As far as the depreciation, I don’t intend on selling it. Just the thought that I could save 2k for a lightly worn speedy is tempting. I have watches that I absolutely need to be the prime owner and then there are watches that I like to have and isn’t too keen on past ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 February 2020, 06:51 PM   #17
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Never looked at Omega before until recently when I saw the 60th. It truly is a beautiful watch, and in my eyes, worth the current market price (around 20% off srp).

I also like that it is a re-issue of the original speedmaster, which was originally intended for car enthusiasts, and not for the moon missions.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #18
SilverRain
"TRF" Member

I’m currently looking for my first speedmaster as well ... I was thinking an early 90s (1993). I like the tritium dial and would prefer to stay with the 861 movement. Where are some good places to watch for one?
SilverRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:22 PM   #19
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRain View Post
Where are some good places to watch for one?

Chrono24, eBay and watchrecon.com
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #20
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd

I’m a fan of my Apollo 8
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:16 PM   #21
SilverRain
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
SilverRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:58 PM   #22
CactusSpine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
I love my speed master. I grew up going to the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida. They have a section in the museum dedicated to space exploration. They have a small display case with a speed master in it. I loved looking at the watch and thinking about how this small mechanical object has been used in space for so many year (and with little changes). I promised myself some day I would own one.

I spend a lot of time researching them and figuring out what reference I would select. The argument between hesalite and sapphire is endless and ultimately up to you. I do believe the hesalite has the timeless appearance and a plus without the “milky ring”. But wow that sapphire case back on the sandwich is cool!

I opted for the 3592.50. It has the hesalite front and a sapphire case back. For me that is the best of both worlds.
CactusSpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:07 PM   #23
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5518 View Post

I second this^^^ I bought my sapphire sandwich and am very happy with it. I like knowing that my watch has a scratch resistant crystal. I do not baby my watches, so the extra piece of mind works well for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:26 PM   #24
CactusSpine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Pictures of my Hesalite Sandwich 3592.50

CactusSpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 02:02 AM   #25
JesseBertone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post

I’m a fan of my Apollo 8
I would watch to wear it backwards somehow to see that movement all day.
JesseBertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 04:26 AM   #26
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Get the 005 or 006 with full package. That's the classic current choice right now in my opinion. Also - they've made big improvements in the bracelet with screwed links not pins.

Enjoy!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 05:01 AM   #27
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

I went with the 005 hesalite. Just felt the the closest thing I could get to the original Moonwatch. I’m completely happy with that decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B7B675D3-9686-4AF2-B61A-3545B569D82A.jpeg (84.7 KB, 532 views)
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 06:00 AM   #28
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It can get confusing. I go back and forth when it comes to buying a moonwatch. The hesalite domed plexi does look amazing in person. I was showing a little concern over the bracelet as a lot of folks are switching out for adjustable clasps at an added cost of 200+. My Omega AD suggested waiting on a newer revamped version (not the Ed White) with a tapered bracelet coming out by the end of 20. Im not 100% so im waiting..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 06:39 AM   #29
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Hesalite Speedmaster Pro 42mm, The Moon Watch, and its over. Ref 311.30.42.30.01.005
I agree. That’s pretty much all there is to it.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 08:04 AM   #30
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
It can get confusing. I go back and forth when it comes to buying a moonwatch. The hesalite domed plexi does look amazing in person. I was showing a little concern over the bracelet as a lot of folks are switching out for adjustable clasps at an added cost of 200+. My Omega AD suggested waiting on a newer revamped version (not the Ed White) with a tapered bracelet coming out by the end of 20. Im not 100% so im waiting..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Production of the 3861 movement will also be antimagnetic, with a coaxial escapement, will hack and be Metas certified (0 to 5
Sec). Still a wind up though. I’ve read that production will start in May 2020. Almost certain it will come with a higher price tag too.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote