The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2020, 04:01 AM   #241
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
I think Tudor represent much better value than Omega and are as equally as well built as Rolex. I would also go as far as to say they are better built than a Rolex of 15 years ago.

Please explain how a Tudor is any better value than this?

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 04:17 AM   #242
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Solid watches, good looks. What's not to like.

Tudor Date+Day by LarryDPhotography, on Flickr
nice...i really like the white face...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 04:24 AM   #243
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I think the "better value" argument goes to bang for the buck. Most would think a $4,000 Tudor GMT is more watch for the money than a $8,000 Seamaster. Doesn't mean that the Tudor is a better watch overall, but I still think Tudor is in fact one of the best values in the Swiss watch industry.

And I'm no Omega hater - I have two Omegas and one Tudor.

That watch is a stunner by the way!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 04:42 AM   #244
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
What do you think of Rolex’s little brother, Tudor?

Quote:

That looks Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 04:47 AM   #245
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Nice! I miss my blue dial.
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 06:28 AM   #246
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

For me, it would seem like I’m settling if I got a Tudor. Maybe I’m missing out but that’s how I feel.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 07:16 AM   #247
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

I love Tudor. I agree that they produce an excellent product given the price point.

That being said, comparing it to Omega is not an easy argument even when price point is the focus.

Let’s take the flagship divers of both brands and plug in the data;

Tudor Black Bay

MSRP - $3800
Movement - In house movement with traditional lever escapement, free sprung balance, silicon hairspring. COSC.
Functional - 200m wr oyster construction with twin lock system. Unidirectional diving bezel.
Fit - Oyster bracelet with 3 position adjustment or nato strap or leather strap
Notable hardware - brass dial with matte black finish, anodized aluminum bezel insert

Omega Seamaster 300

MSRP - $5200
Movement - in house modern coaxial escapement, fully amagnetic hardware, decorated finish, display caseback. METAS.
Functional - 300m wr. HEV. Unidirectional diving bezel.
Fit - Diving style bracelet with dive extension, built in multi position easy adjustment system, diver’s extension, twin trigger release clasp. Rubber diving strap.
Notable hardware - ceramic dial, ceramic bezel insert, gold hour indexes and hands.

With only a $1400 delta, the Omega wins the value argument hands down.

Fortunately, this hobby isn’t just about raw hard numbers and there’s an emotional component involved as well. For that reason alone, the Tudor would be the watch I pick in any face off between these 2 brands.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 07:34 AM   #248
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Not sure I’d call the BB the Tudor flagship diver when the Pelagos has more advanced technology, better WR rating, and a higher MSRP.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 07:49 AM   #249
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Not sure I’d call the BB the Tudor flagship diver when the Pelagos has more advanced technology, better WR rating, and a higher MSRP.
dP

I’d call the Pelagos Tudor’s advanced/top of the line diver and its Omega equivalent would be the planet ocean.

I see what you’re saying about the BB not being their best diver, but it is the diver that revived the brand, subsequently becoming its biggest seller, thus receiving the majority of Tudor’s attention. It is also Tudor’s equivalent to the Omega Seamaster 300
Old 28 February 2020, 08:27 AM   #250
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think the "better value" argument goes to bang for the buck. Most would think a $4,000 Tudor GMT is more watch for the money than a $8,000 Seamaster. Doesn't mean that the Tudor is a better watch overall, but I still think Tudor is in fact one of the best values in the Swiss watch industry.

And I'm no Omega hater - I have two Omegas and one Tudor.

That watch is a stunner by the way!

For the record the Seamaster isn’t 8000 bucks (believe it is 5200 on bracelet) ....and is actually less than the Tudor post discount or right on par with it
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:13 AM   #251
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
Quote:

It isn’t. The Omega SMP destroys anything Tudor produces. The only thing the Tudor has over it is a vintage vibe that attract some buyers.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:52 AM   #252
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I love my Tudors, BB41 and Ranger but I don't consider my BB41 a true diver compared to an Omega SMP. I don't own an Omega now, I had a SM300 and wasn't thrilled with it but I'm considering a Planet Ocean. Value? I don't even care, it's what you pay for it that counts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 09:58 PM   #253
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
For the record the Seamaster isn’t 8000 bucks (believe it is 5200 on bracelet) ....and is actually less than the Tudor post discount or right on par with it
If we are talking discounts, or secondary sales, no doubt Omega has it all over Tudor. But going purely by MSRP I think Tudor is the better value dollar-for-dollar.

The problem with Omega is the minute you leave the AD after you purchased your brand new watch, it's worth a third less than you paid for it or even worse.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 12:20 AM   #254
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I think it’s a fantastic brand! They make some very bold steps forward that Rolex will not, and some of the watches have even more ingenuity, and usefulness than their Rolex counterparts.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 12:20 AM   #255
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:

...Pelagos
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 04:11 AM   #256
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post
...Pelagos
Simple, direct, and spot on.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290372_1024.jpg (270.7 KB, 171 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #257
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
For me, it would seem like I’m settling if I got a Tudor. Maybe I’m missing out but that’s how I feel.
that’s just myopic.

Old 29 February 2020, 04:20 AM   #258
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
dP
and still less expensive than this bloody omega everyone keeps banging on about.

pelagos wins hands down every time for me.

that’s pretty much why i bought one.

Old 29 February 2020, 08:16 AM   #259
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb.nc View Post
and still less expensive than this bloody omega everyone keeps banging on about.

pelagos wins hands down every time for me.

that’s pretty much why i bought one.

pelagos is a big winner in this catagory
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 03:32 AM   #260
snyde
"TRF" Member

With Tudor new movement, I’d say we’re getting pretty close to Rolex now. Biggest differences are still the steel quality and brand name. I wonder if we will start seeing ceramic used more in Tudors? Pic of mine below:

snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 04:02 AM   #261
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Love my Heritage Chrono - quality is excellent & that blue aluminium bezel just pops.

New fanboy over here ...

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 02:11 PM   #262
interneal
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned a 214270, 216570, 16570 and a Black Bay Chrono and have landed on the Pelagos LHD.

The Rolex’s were all lovely pieces in their own right, but for a daily wearer with an active lifestyle I’m please as punch to be rocking the Pelagos.

The Rolex’s all felt like they had an elevated level of finishing versus the tudors, but if you’re gunning for a sport watch it’s Tudor all the way.

interneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 02:42 PM   #263
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
if the heritage chrono came with the new movement it would be a tough choice between that and a speedy pro....overall I like tudor a lot.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 02:56 PM   #264
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

I’m failing to recall the model, but back around 2015 there was a Tudor model with a movement that was so ill-designed it literally wouldn’t be serviced by Tudor when sent to their service center! In order to “service” the watch, they had to replace the entire movement with a new one off the production line. Tudor told my colleague (who is the one that experienced this) this was standard practice for his model, which had begun to have issues in <2 years of him purchasing it.

It really rubbed me the wrong way. Although the movement replacement cost was quite reasonable, and although it was certainly not the norm for Tudor, I’d be shocked and disgusted if I was informed that would be happening after wearing a watch for years and sending it in for a routine service. I like to look down at my watch and know it is the same one that has been through thick and thin. Replacing an entire movement completely ruins the romanticism of a fine mechanical watch to me.

That, combined with their thick hockey puck cases, have really turned me off from the brand‘s current lineup. If they make their watches thinner and get a few more years of R&D under their belt, it could be a dangerous brand for Breitling/OMEGA/etc. to compete with. Their thinner 39mm diver is an extremely encouraging sign that they hear the desires of people such as myself.

To end in a positive note- I really respect some of the innovations Tudor has made. Some aspects of their designs feel almost like a testing ground for Rolex in a positive way. I’m sure in due time we’ll see a Submariner bezel with lume like the Pelagos. I also really appreciate that Tudor understands the charm of vintage Rolex (even if it does feel a bit shoehorned in at times). And despite the stuffy big brother Rolex, Tudor really feels like its own brand that is trying new things; it isn’t Rolex Jr. (despite its obvious influences), and the brand isn’t constantly being shown the ropes. Simply put, it’s nice to see Rolex isn’t afraid to let Tudor fail, and that Tudor is out to try new things.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 03:03 PM   #265
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
if the heritage chrono came with the new movement it would be a tough choice between that and a speedy pro....overall I like tudor a lot.

I wish they would put the B01 movement in the THCs and make newer iterations
Old 18 March 2020, 03:14 PM   #266
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
In order to “service” the watch, they had to replace the entire movement with a new one off the production line.
As far as I'm aware that's what Tudor does with all their in-house movements. IIRC, It's not that they couldn't be able to service them, it's that it's more efficient for them to take the movements from the watch, replace them and send those old movements to Switzerland to be refurbished.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 03:18 PM   #267
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Own 2 Tudors a Blue Pelagos and a Black Bay GMT both are superb value and amazing quality. If you are on the fence jump off it and plunge into the Tudor pool. Great watches at great prices.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 03:20 PM   #268
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I tried 3 different tudors a few years back. Tudor bronze, black bay and another. For some reason stuck and away they went.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 08:43 PM   #269
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
I’m failing to recall the model, but back around 2015 there was a Tudor model with a movement that was so ill-designed it literally wouldn’t be serviced by Tudor when sent to their service center! In order to “service” the watch, they had to replace the entire movement with a new one off the production line. Tudor told my colleague (who is the one that experienced this) this was standard practice for his model, which had begun to have issues in <2 years of him purchasing it.

It really rubbed me the wrong way. Although the movement replacement cost was quite reasonable, and although it was certainly not the norm for Tudor, I’d be shocked and disgusted if I was informed that would be happening after wearing a watch for years and sending it in for a routine service. I like to look down at my watch and know it is the same one that has been through thick and thin. Replacing an entire movement completely ruins the romanticism of a fine mechanical watch to me.

That, combined with their thick hockey puck cases, have really turned me off from the brand‘s current lineup. If they make their watches thinner and get a few more years of R&D under their belt, it could be a dangerous brand for Breitling/OMEGA/etc. to compete with. Their thinner 39mm diver is an extremely encouraging sign that they hear the desires of people such as myself.

To end in a positive note- I really respect some of the innovations Tudor has made. Some aspects of their designs feel almost like a testing ground for Rolex in a positive way. I’m sure in due time we’ll see a Submariner bezel with lume like the Pelagos. I also really appreciate that Tudor understands the charm of vintage Rolex (even if it does feel a bit shoehorned in at times). And despite the stuffy big brother Rolex, Tudor really feels like its own brand that is trying new things; it isn’t Rolex Jr. (despite its obvious influences), and the brand isn’t constantly being shown the ropes. Simply put, it’s nice to see Rolex isn’t afraid to let Tudor fail, and that Tudor is out to try new things.
You have been living on Mars.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 18 March 2020, 10:11 PM   #270
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Bang for buck, big time!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk