The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2017, 07:03 AM   #1
Bobby T
Banned

What if Red Font on New SD was a One Hit Wonder??

Having some fun speculating here. What do you guys think would happen pricewise if the new SD had red font only for this one year? Future years' releases would bethe same exact watch, sans the red.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:05 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Having some fun speculating here. What do you guys think would happen pricewise if the new SD had red font only for this one year? Future years' releases would bethe same exact watch, sans the red.
Haven't heard this subject before.

Seriously though, sounds like a pretty rhetorical question to me.....
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:20 AM   #3
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Depends how many are produced, will it be like the Daytona or will everyone who wanted one get one this year - if the latter then probably not much.
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I have a feeling that this is exactly what's going to happen.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:30 AM   #5
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Haven't heard this subject before.

Seriously though, sounds like a pretty rhetorical question to me.....
I guess then, since you felt it was a rhetorical question, there should have been no reason for you to respond.........
Old 19 May 2017, 07:44 AM   #6
jdojoby
Banned

it will be a 2 year run...3 max....fact..
jdojoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:51 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Price would go up I would guess.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Price would go up I would guess.
Of course it would........I was just trying to have fun with speculating how big of a run up it might have. Obviously, its not limited in production but people buy SDs all the time....pre-owned and new. Seems to be an endless thirst for Rolex......or maybe, its just being on watch websites that gives that impression. Regardless, only time will tell.
Old 19 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Of course it would........I was just trying to have fun with speculating how big of a run up it might have. Obviously, its not limited in production but people buy SDs all the time....pre-owned and new. Seems to be an endless thirst for Rolex......or maybe, its just being on watch websites that gives that impression. Regardless, only time will tell.
Old 19 May 2017, 08:08 AM   #10
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you had sales records you could go back and see how much of a boost happened with other short-lived red writing models, and I bet you would find that any significant increase would have come decades later. However, that may just be because it entered into the consciousness of collectors at a time of high interest in watches like we are seeing now. Perhaps that will continue into the future or it may just be short lived.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Shaky
"TRF" Member

Had a similar conversation last night, and the consensus between a couple of AD was it would run along the same lines as the 50th anniversary Sub, which was around 5 year ??

Coming from people who sell them, who I am sure they would admit, "only Rolex knows" but why say that when they could quite easily say, only one year so make sure you but it asap and don't miss out !!

I am still sitting on the fence with this watch as to how it will go. Admittedly I am talking UK here but they also said they thought they would get around three pieces a year. However I hear of dealers in the US who are supposed to have had three already. Will it be in short supply, I hope not for those who are desperate to get one.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:19 AM   #12
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would think that the value would increase, substantially.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:46 AM   #13
wb55
"TRF" Member

Here's the real question. Would the SD go up in value more than it currently has already? They're going for £12-15k right now when retailing for £8,350. Would a one year period make that price go to £20k, £30k? And if so, would it need to be the year 2050 for people to pay that kind of money?
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 08:46 AM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know I would purchase it if it didn't have the red writing. I'm pretty sure I'm in the extreme minority wanting this though :p
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 10:36 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Why not stop the D500 run as well now? Let the hype turn into hysteria... nah can't see it, Rolex are already trying to curb the grey market for the D500, so they know a one year run only helps them, does nothing for Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Why not stop the D500 run as well now? Let the hype turn into hysteria... nah can't see it, Rolex are already trying to curb the grey market for the D500, so they know a one year run only helps them, does nothing for Rolex.
Rolex doesn't seem interested in curbing the grey market on SS Daytonas for the past 30 years so how did you come to your conclusion??? If your logic is correct, why is it so difficult to walk into an AD and purchase an SS Daytona??Quite frankly, having runaway prices on a few pieces is quite good for Rolex as it increases awareness and appeal among casual watch buyers.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:14 AM   #17
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdojoby View Post
it will be a 2 year run...3 max....fact..
Fact eh? And how do you know this? You're crystal ball?.....Only Rolex knows this...
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:17 AM   #18
osamu
"TRF" Member

This "rumor" makes it all the more appealing to go with the SD50, but for some reason, I have a hard time seeing them discontinue it. It's not like any other anniversary model has been only produced for the anniversary year.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 01:29 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Rolex doesn't seem interested in curbing the grey market on SS Daytonas for the past 30 years so how did you come to your conclusion??? If your logic is correct, why is it so difficult to walk into an AD and purchase an SS Daytona??Quite frankly, having runaway prices on a few pieces is quite good for Rolex as it increases awareness and appeal among casual watch buyers.
No, Rolex have always liked the Daytona as their hype model but in this new social media age the hype has gone off the charts and resulted in grey dealers even making more profit than Rolex themselves, and they also know half the time it is the ADs selling to them, which they are very unhappy with and it is also ruining the atmosphere in many stores.

So now we have sticker-gate and locals only-gate and warranty card-gate etc and all these measures Rolex are using to curb the grey market which they completely underestimated in today's online world. So there is no way they want a repeat of this fiasco with the SD43 by making it red for one year only, they just want improved sales over the old model and it will remain red is my belief.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 03:30 AM   #20
teo
"TRF" Member

U will have a better chance with the previous 116600 sea dweller than hoping the red to be taken away in two years. As 116600 only produced for 2.5yrs. I think if it is selling, this red wording watch will be on market for the next 15yrs.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 03:41 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No, Rolex have always liked the Daytona as their hype model but in this new social media age the hype has gone off the charts and resulted in grey dealers even making more profit than Rolex themselves, and they also know half the time it is the ADs selling to them, which they are very unhappy with and it is also ruining the atmosphere in many stores.

So now we have sticker-gate and locals only-gate and warranty card-gate etc and all these measures Rolex are using to curb the grey market which they completely underestimated in today's online world. So there is no way they want a repeat of this fiasco with the SD43 by making it red for one year only, they just want improved sales over the old model and it will remain red is my belief.
I also think the red liner will be in production for at least as many years as the original, makes sense no?
Old 20 May 2017, 03:50 AM   #22
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more....hype is always good for any company trying to move product....Daytona was not always hyped.....there was literally no interest in that model until the mid to late 80's. Regardless, I'm not saying the red font on the new SD will be a one hit wondering, was just wondering if it might be.

We'll have to agree to disagree.....cheers!!!
Old 20 May 2017, 04:45 AM   #23
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If they stop making the font red after one year I will eat my red wing boots. I have no idea where people get this ridiculous idea from.

I would guess this watch will be available in its current form for 5-10 years given Rolex track record.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 04:52 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If they stop making the font red after one year I will eat my red wing boots. I have no idea where people get this ridiculous idea from.

I would guess this watch will be available in its current form for 5-10 years given Rolex track record.
Old 20 May 2017, 04:52 AM   #25
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

You mean like the SD4000 with its 2 year run??
Old 20 May 2017, 04:54 AM   #26
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
There was the same discussions when the 216570 came. "Orange text for a limited time" it is still orange.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:48 AM   #27
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Having fun speculating here. What do you guys think would happen pricewise if new SD had red font only for this one year?Future years' releases same exact watch, sans red.
Good Morning Sir GMT +7 / DST
Can you answer this pop quiz I've prepared for you ?

" What is THE most sought after,most highly prized Omega SMP Planet Ocean 600 model series among the Moderators and hard core collectors of the Omega Forum ? "

Here are the clues:
1. First execution of the PO series using Liquid Metal Technology with a total production of 1948 timepieces ( 2009-2014)
2. It had a black Liquid Metal bezel not blue
3. It was fitted with the calibre 2500 not 8500
4. Steel not Titanium
5. 42 not 45.5
6. And most significantly it had THE RED SEAMASTER FONT NOT ORANGE

Tough question huh ?

The answer is Ref 22.30.42.20.01.001 PO LM Noir LE with the Red Seamaster writing. Would you believe me if I told you it has a current street value of between USD 85xx-92xx and the price is increasing each year...

The regular versions Ref 2201.50 that soon followed all had Orange Seamaster fonts and are valued at between USD 27xx-32xx

Red is HUGE among the Chinese watch collectors and Rolex knows this all to well.Red symbolizes good luck and prosperity in Chinese customs and beliefs.Red Firecrackers.Red Pocket Money.Red Weddings.It is the only colour that wards off evil spirits and demons if you believe in superstitions!

An OF Guru that goes by the avatar name of Nobel Prize @ Sergio of NYC would tell you that "Red is Legend "

Red is NOT a 0ne Hit Wonder and I believe Ref 126600 production will continue for the next what ? 7-8 yrs down the line.
So there you go! Thank You Sir for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts

Have a Gr8 Weekend. Peace

meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:50 AM   #28
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
So why exactly would Rolex stop producing or alter a popular and fast selling model? Because they want to increase the value of their buyers' watches? Right......
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:51 AM   #29
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
what if it wasnt?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 06:39 AM   #30
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
doesn't matter imop.

the sd43 is a simple mod to add red text. non-collectors won't care about provenance or production years. random ser# doesn't help spec future values either.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote