The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2019, 08:42 AM   #1
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
How many of you are dealing with your first born going off to college?

It’s been a hard few days as my eldest daughter has left for college. I tried not to cry as I hugged her before leaving her dorm, but failed miserably. I have another daughter that is just starting high school that will miss her guidance and wisdom. FaceTime and phones will help but the house feels incomplete. How are other TRF members coping or is there any good advice from parents that have children attending college?
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have been through it and yes it’s hard. Believe it or not at some point when she comes home you’ll be happy to see her go back. But yes. It’s hard. It’s another stage in both your lives.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:25 AM   #3
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I have been through it and yes it’s hard. Believe it or not at some point when she comes home you’ll be happy to see her go back. But yes. It’s hard. It’s another stage in both your lives.

I have a 6 year old daughter and i can only imagine what it will be like. I’ll be crying a lot more than her or my wife will, that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:57 AM   #4
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
My son left for college 2 weeks ago. However he joined National Guard last year out of high School and did 4 months of Basic with no phone access at Ft Benning. That was much tougher. I teared up then but no big deal now for college.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Brew
"TRF" Member

I live in a college town (2 colleges and 1 university). I'm dealing with all of you here this weekend. No more parking, need reservations, etc.

But thank you! This town would be dead without you, your kids, and your $$!!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:37 PM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I remember when I was leaving for college, my 12 year-old brother was a blubbering mess. It was weird. We were not a particularly emotional or affectionate family. I used to write him letters (yes, you read that right) from school. I think he looked forward to receiving them.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:18 PM   #7
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Yes, my daughter in a few weeks. Both my kids have been to boarding school, so it’ll be easier to manager, but schools are a very closeted environment. It’s her being loose in the big bad world I worry about ....
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:22 PM   #8
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
My son went to college a couple years ago and I was fine until my daughter started sobbing. It’s very hard but really it is just an adjustment. He’s now a junior and left for school without waiting for me to come home from work and it’s okay. In the end it is just another step in life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:58 PM   #9
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Can’t imagine
Old 24 August 2019, 05:20 PM   #10
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
This

Daughter about to start 4th year at university. Once you get your life back/ used to the peace & quiet - you enjoy the visits but ‘appreciate’ when it’s time for them to go back.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:04 PM   #11
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
My sympathy.

My eldest aims to go this time next year and I know I will not like it.

Bizarrely, like many teenagers she is always on her iphone – yet when she is not with us for any length of time, she somehow forgets to keep in touch!
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:05 PM   #12
austinp
"TRF" Member

Ill be in your shoes next year. I look forward to the prep work and final decision being over. Applications, ACT, visits etc is wearing me out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:26 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am in exactly the same position as we dropped off my oldest daughter last week and my youngest started High School this week. I did not think it would hit me so hard but the only thing I can equate it to is the grieving process. My wife was a basket case leading up to the drop off, but got it together and was great the day of the drop off and since then. If I allowed myself I could become emotional at the drop of a hat but that does not do any of us any good. An amazing situation and a range of emotions I have never had before. Such is life. Should be interesting in four years when the youngest goes to College.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:32 PM   #14
CortlandtPT
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of 'em :))
I don’t have any input but I’ll be following this thread to become prepared too because I’m facing the same heartbreak next year. My firstborn is deadset on becoming a surgeon and we have been busy this summer visiting colleges.

Goodluck and stay strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CortlandtPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:37 PM   #15
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Just moved my one and only daughter into school last week for sophomore year 800 miles from home. I can completely relate - last year was very difficult, I too was a blubbering mess leaving her dorm. House felt very empty and I had what I can only describe as a hollow feeling right to the core for the first few weeks. But, daily texts and frequent FaceTime helps and it does get better. She also had a great year which really helped too. Hang in there.
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 10:56 PM   #16
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Looking back on my life, I think dropping two daughters off in their freshman dorms was as hard as anything I've done. Other days that stand out are when my middle daughter and her husband moved to Europe, and the day we sent out foreign exchange "daughter" back to Sweden. Happily, 23 years later, she remains our daughter, and the relationship has grown. But leaving home is a part of moving forward in life.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:40 AM   #17
swils8610

I will in 2 years. She’s an only child and a really great kid! Good grades, active in sports. I surprised her with her 1st car yesterday. She cried...it was a moment I’ll never forget. Then I realized she will be going to college in 2 years...then I got teary eye’d...I reflected back on the last 16 years. I was the guy that worked 60 plus hours a week and missed out on many things. Looking back I know regret what I’ve done. People have said no one ever looks back on life and says I didn’t work enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:47 AM   #18
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
This'll sound crazy to some but my son graduated this spring and I felt a great relief that he was home and wasn't going back. I missed him around the house when he wasn't home.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:58 AM   #19
Keadog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I live in a college town (2 colleges and 1 university). I'm dealing with all of you here this weekend. No more parking, need reservations, etc.

Ithaca? Spent a lot of $$$ there. By the end, I knew my way around fairly well and couldn't stand the out of state drivers either. Wegmans was the best ever.

Our daughter started at NYU the September after 9/11. It was very scary for us, but all went well.
Time flies and speeds up as well. They have to move on or stagnate.

Don't tell your kids you'll pay for any school of their choice they can get into unless you mean it. Out of state no scholarship tuition X2 here.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 02:09 AM   #20
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
Ithaca? Spent a lot of $$$ there. By the end, I knew my way around fairly well and couldn't stand the out of state drivers either. Wegmans was the best ever.
Yes, and thank you!
Old 26 August 2019, 06:06 AM   #21
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I remember dropping my daughter off in upstate NY and it was mixed emotions. My son and I stayed out of the way (highly recommend this) while my wife and daughter set up her dorm. When it came to saying goodbye I put on a brave face, gave her a big hug and kept it together. It was a quiet ride home. The first few days seemed different but we got used to it. It was a lot easier dropping my son off for college; he went to school in Boston and we only live 45 minutes from there. We have the empty nest now and enjoy it.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 06:17 AM   #22
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Not there yet with my kids, thank goodness. Another 5 years to go.

Nearly had to put my brother under General Anesthesia when he dropped his oldest daughter off in Boston this weekend, though
He had a rough time of it.
DJ TT 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:49 AM   #23
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
The way my 15 year old daughter has been behaving the last few months, I cannot wait for her to leave, although I am sure I will be a bit sad when it actually happens.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #24
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I know what you're going through. My daughter starts moving into her dorm next week. Luckily she'll be 30 minutes away. I can't believe how quickly time has passed.
Old 26 August 2019, 09:04 AM   #25
swils8610

Quote:
Yes, and thank you!

Ithaca is a great college town. I never went to school there, but have spent some time there. It’s a beautiful setting.

swils8610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:45 AM   #26
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
My oldest just started kindergarten and I about lost it because she’s growing up so fast. Can’t imagine her leaving for college.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 09:49 AM   #27
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
College is nothing.....the kids still come home for the holidays.....my son is 28, married....luckily he’s nearby.....but it’s not the same!
Old 26 August 2019, 09:49 AM   #28
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Ithaca is a great college town. I never went to school there, but have spent some time there. It’s a beautiful setting.

It sure is, especially this time of year.

The Cornell kids moved in this weekend. The city is full again.
Old 26 August 2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:

I live in an affluent Philadelphia suburb. Between the area colleges clearing out and the residents going to their beach houses, it’s a (wonderful) ghost town for the summer months. Everyone is trickling back now. :(
As you said, lines, reservations, traffic, etc. till winter break.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 11:51 AM   #30
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
I’m a bit of a sap when it comes to this stuff. I am the guy that most would say that i dont look like that crybaby guy BUT I am. So- my oldest daughter went off to college last year and I was dreading it thinking id embarrass her and me with my sobbing. Fortunately, it was very stressful as about 1000 girls were all moving into the dorm at one time. I was getting chewed out from my daughter and it was all out chaos. I couldn’t leave soon enough!!! Whew.... cried the next day tho
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote