The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2017, 10:04 PM   #1
Marshall Wade
"TRF" Member

World Atomic Time

Guys and Gals just over a month ago I purchased a Rolex SubDate from the Watch Gallery (excellent Service from Vince and Violetta) got home and thought I would test the actual time keeping. Bit disappointing as it was slow by 3 seconds a day, this was taken from a time site. Yesterday I found an "Atomic Time Site and checked my time with them. In 24 hours I found my watch to be between 0.5 and 1 second fast. Have not done any changes from normal. Will keep you all up to date.
Marshall Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 10:15 PM   #2
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Sounds like you are within the tolerances of Superlative Chronometer Official Certification
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Wade View Post
Guys and Gals just over a month ago I purchased a Rolex SubDate from the Watch Gallery (excellent Service from Vince and Violetta) got home and thought I would test the actual time keeping. Bit disappointing as it was slow by 3 seconds a day, this was taken from a time site. Yesterday I found an "Atomic Time Site and checked my time with them. In 24 hours I found my watch to be between 0.5 and 1 second fast. Have not done any changes from normal. Will keep you all up to date.
Please dont get to OCD about a few seconds out of 86400 in a day all you want to do is check your watch once a week.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Wade View Post
I dont understand the obsession with seconds a day.... as long as i dont loose 5-10 min a day then im not concerned about seconds.... life is too short to be stressing if your mechanical watch doesn't keep time to the point of useless accuracy
If i need the exact time my phone always has it down to the second and isnt effected by the angle it was left on my bedside table for the night or the temperature or altitude....

relax and enjoy your watch and dont stress
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 02:34 PM   #5
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
I dont understand the obsession with seconds a day.... as long as i dont loose 5-10 min a day then im not concerned about seconds.... life is too short to be stressing if your mechanical watch doesn't keep time to the point of useless accuracy
If i need the exact time my phone always has it down to the second and isnt effected by the angle it was left on my bedside table for the night or the temperature or altitude....

relax and enjoy your watch and dont stress
A second or two a day is fine. Mine happens to lose about 2-3 seconds every 5 days or so. I have a TAG-Heuer that was minus a couple seconds a day but it started getting worse until it was losing about 30 seconds a day which is unacceptable. I took it in and had it checked and adjusted.

Of course I check the accuracy. It's a Rolex and I paid good money for an accurate Swiss self-winding movement.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 04:00 PM   #6
MaxEight
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Rhodium
Enjoy the watch, who cares if it loses or gains a second in a day? I rotate between crown up and dial up when I put my OP39 to bed each night, and in the few months between daylight savings resets I find it doesn't gain any more than a few seconds. Give it a shot, you might be surprised.
MaxEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 04:03 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

congratulations on a supremely accurate mechanical watch

Or, were you complaining i can't tell?

Your reference time is an atomic clock and your rolex is a mechanical timepiece with hundreds of tiny parts.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 10:36 PM   #8
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Use to have people come into my dads watch repair shop and complain about their automatic watch losing/gaining a few seconds per day or even WEEK. For one thing, I used to wonder, "Do these guys have nothing better to do?" lol
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 10:40 PM   #9
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I'm not OCD about it, but I like my watches to be accurate (different resting positions for different pieces), and I enjoy tracking them.

Watchville and Twixt are good...

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:48 PM   #10
Star Ferry
Banned

Get a Grand Seiko quartz. In 5 weeks, mine hasn't lost a single second
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote