The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 August 2017, 12:20 AM   #1
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Costco in trouble for "Gray Market Goods"

I see Tiffany's is cracking down on Costco for selling their items. I wonder if Rolex can be very far behind?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...JDQ?li=BBnb7Kz
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:24 AM   #2
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

They weren't selling Tiffany goods. They were selling cheaper jewellery and calling it Tiffany, arguing that it ought to be considered a generic term. Seems like a pretty egregious trademark violation.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:26 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Not even remotely the same thing. If you read the article:

While Costco had argued that the word was understood as a generic reference to a ring's setting, not the brand itself, a court determined in 2015 that selling items described simply as "Tiffany" infringed on Tiffany's trademark.

This isn't the first time Costco has been accused of falsely marketing designer products.

Costco sold rings and implied they were made by Tiffany.

Rolex watches are made by Rolex. They are not selling generic watches and calling them Rolex.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:28 AM   #4
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

In this instance, Costco wasn't selling a branded item, rather, a ring marketed as Tiffany, when it was just a Tiffany setting. Sounds to me like there was a genuine desire to deceive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
todd.hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:28 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
They weren't selling Tiffany goods. They were selling cheaper jewellery and calling it Tiffany, arguing that it ought to be considered a generic term. Seems like a pretty egregious trademark violation.
yeah that is pretty bad. You can make the argument with Kleenex referring to all facial tissues but even generic brands can't get away with calling them that. We all call them Kleenex though no matter what the brand actually is.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:34 AM   #6
piratepress
"TRF" Member

What I found interesting was the statement, "Costco also has a history of selling what Refinery 29 calls "gray market goods" — designer items that were obtained through channels that aren't illegal, but that are unintended by the original makers."

As such, I'm sure Rolex is not pleased with Costco selling their watches.
Old 18 August 2017, 12:38 AM   #7
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Still love Costco. #1 wholesale retailer.

Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:44 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbogigolo View Post

I do think they would be mad at me though if i opened a #1 wholesale retailer and called it Cost Co
Old 18 August 2017, 12:50 AM   #9
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I do think they would be mad at me though if i opened a #1 wholesale retailer and called it Cost Co

Maybe! I can spend hours and hours whenever I go. I go with the intent of buying one thing but leave with a dozen other stuff. I am still hoping to one day leave Costco with a green box 🤴🏽

Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:53 AM   #10
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbogigolo View Post

I love them too and was excited when we finally got one. However, I draw the line at buying a new Rolex from them.
Old 18 August 2017, 01:03 AM   #11
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
yeah that is pretty bad. You can make the argument with Kleenex referring to all facial tissues but even generic brands can't get away with calling them that. We all call them Kleenex though no matter what the brand actually is.
"We all" don't...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:10 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
"We all" don't...
do you call everything a band-aid or do you say adhesive bandages if you are describing what to put on a cut? Maybe thats a better example.

In any case my point was its a generic term in common usage but that still isn't enough for other companies to go a head and call them that. If you can't get away with it for a far more generic term then certainly you should not be able to justify calling something Tiffany.
Old 18 August 2017, 08:37 PM   #13
PJ S
Banned

^
Tissues and plasters – if you want a brand name that moved into the generic term domain, you need look no further than Hoover.
Instead of vacuum(ing), many people will say hoover(ing) – absolutely no-one says they are going to Dyson/Oreck/Miele their carpets.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 08:56 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Tissues and plasters – if you want a brand name that moved into the generic term domain, you need look no further than Hoover.
Instead of vacuum(ing), many people will say hoover(ing) – absolutely no-one says they are going to Dyson/Oreck/Miele their carpets.
that is very country specific... when i first moved here i thought everyone actually had Hoovers. Never heard anyone say that before in my life. Now i admit thats my preferred term
Old 18 August 2017, 09:50 PM   #15
tamiya
"TRF" Member

No idea what a "tiffany" ring even looks like.

I thought "tiffany" was just a brand of little pale blue boxes!
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 09:58 PM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
No idea what a "tiffany" ring even looks like.

I thought "tiffany" was just a brand of little pale blue boxes!
its the brand but also refers to the "Tiffany setting"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prong_setting

Other jewelers can use multi pronged solitaire settings but can't call them a "Tiffany setting"
Old 18 August 2017, 10:33 PM   #17
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

I've always associated Tiffany's with six-pronged settings and engraving of crackerjack prizes. ( ´_ゝ`)
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #18
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that is very country specific... when i first moved here i thought everyone actually had Hoovers. Never heard anyone say that before in my life. Now i admit thats my preferred term
I grew up not even really understanding the term "vaccum-cleaning" because of the ubiquity of Hoover. Then again you'll almost never hear a Brit asking for Kleenex (tissue) or a Band-Aid (plaster).

There is perhaps one generic product that is almost universally referenced as a particular brand that isn't country specific, and I'm not referring to the rather fetching 5-digit reference GMT Master II when I say...

COKE!

Does anybody ask for a "cola" when they want a refreshing carbonated beverage?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 12:35 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I grew up not even really understanding the term "vaccum-cleaning" because of the ubiquity of Hoover. Then again you'll almost never hear a Brit asking for Kleenex (tissue) or a Band-Aid (plaster).

There is perhaps one generic product that is almost universally referenced as a particular brand that isn't country specific, and I'm not referring to the rather fetching 5-digit reference GMT Master II when I say...

COKE!

Does anybody ask for a "cola" when they want a refreshing carbonated beverage?
Ha... in texas coke refers to almost all carbonated sugar drinks, not just the brown colored ones.

most of the rest of the country it means the brown colored specifically. But yes, its a pretty generic term in common usage.
Old 19 August 2017, 12:48 AM   #20
piratepress
"TRF" Member

My uncle in the Midwest used to refer to all carbonated soft drinks as "Soda Pop".
Old 19 August 2017, 01:27 AM   #21
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
To be honest, I think that's dying out. I don't know when the last time I heard someone say that.

I take umbrage with the fact that Costco touts their Kirkland vodka as being comparable to Grey Goose... it isn't.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:10 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
To be honest, I think that's dying out. I don't know when the last time I heard someone say that.

I take umbrage with the fact that Costco touts their Kirkland vodka as being comparable to Grey Goose... it isn't.
come to the UK, its the go to term. I don't talk Vacuums very often but whenever the subject comes up is hoover.

This thread is interesting just for the seeing regional differences in what generic terms are used for what products.

Kirkland vodka, ill take your word as far as taste as I'm not trying it.
Old 19 August 2017, 02:56 AM   #23
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Mass market commodity goods should never be compared to luxury goods when it comes to the effects of competitive branding. Mass market goods typically benefit from people co-opting their name as the generic term. Instruct someone to go to the stop by a store for some Kleenex or Band-Aids, and there's a decent chance that someone walks out with Kleenex and Band-Aid branded product, and not a competitive version.

Diamond engagement rings are viewed by most as a once in a lifetime purchase (I know, doesn't always work out that way, but every first-time buyer/recipient doesn't expect a repeat transaction in the future at that given moment). Tiffany is more than right to defend a brand and cachet that has taken considerable decades to build. Costco knew full well what it was trying to do, as it fits into their overall corporate strategy (the Kirkland version is as good as, if not better, than the name brand version). They rightfully lost IMO. And this is the opinion of someone who loves shopping at Costco, and easily spends over $35K a year on goods and services from Costco.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:05 AM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Interestingly OMEGA sued COSTCO for selling Omega watches, bought from grey channel cheaply.
It went to Supreme Court, that voted in COSTCO favour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMEGA GLOBE.JPG (82.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 19 August 2017, 03:14 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Interestingly OMEGA sued COSTCO for selling Omega watches, bought from grey channel cheaply.
It went to Supreme Court, that voted in COSTCO favour.
yes, but they were not selling costco branded watches and calling them omega watches. They were selling grey market authentic omegas which is fine. Different than the tiffany lawsuit.

Am i reading that correctly as i didn't know about that lawsuit?
Old 19 August 2017, 03:19 AM   #26
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes, but they were not selling costco branded watches and calling them omega watches. They were selling grey market authentic omegas which is fine. Different than the tiffany lawsuit.

Ami reading that correctly as i didn't know about that lawsuit?
Yes fully understand, just pointing it out for people thinking they can not sell grey purchased legitimate goods.

Strangle enough the British Supreme Court just yesterday ruled its illegal to sell "grey" product without the trade mark owners agreement
Old 19 August 2017, 03:22 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Yes fully understand, just pointing it out for people thinking they can not sell grey purchased legitimate goods.

Strangle enough the British Supreme Court just yesterday ruled its illegal to sell "grey" product without the trade mark owners agreement
that is interesting. Didn't know about the British case.
Old 19 August 2017, 03:25 AM   #28
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that is interesting. Didn't know about the British case.
Yes, it was in the times yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supreme Court Judgement.JPG (142.6 KB, 84 views)