The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2017, 05:03 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
longest comercial flights, any advice?

I am a seasoned traveler... will probably top 100,000 miles this year and earn Executive Platinum status on AA, a step above the Platinum Pro I have now. Oh boy... Anyway my longest flights were in the 13 hour range, LA to Japan, but I have two WHOPPERS coming up in the next coupe months. LAX to SYD and SAN to London, probably 15 hours each. I believe these are the longest non-stop flights available. I have lots of experience with being in a flying tube, and with my status will be at least in the Economy Plus section of a 777 and possibly Business class, so that helps (a lot). But even with my experience I am always open to suggestions about how to pass the time and not be completely obliterated when I arrive. I will stock up on the usual audio books, movies, laptop, etc. Does anyone have any recomondations? For example, I have never taken a sleeping pill to try and erase six or eight hours of the journey, but I know some travelers do. My concern is (of course) it will make me tired, but I find it difficult to truly sleep in airplane seats, even the somewhat nicer ones of economy plus and business class, so if I take a pill and am tired but can't actually fall asleep, that will just make me even more miserable. But I am wondering if I should try it? Anyway, let's hear what you guys have to say
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Unisom. Or Costco's Kirkland brand sleeping pills. No hangover, great sleep.

I also can't really sleep when flying, my longest flight was Minneapolis to Tokyo. In coach. Middle seat in back of a 747. I hadn't discovered Unisom yet. It was hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:09 AM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
All depends at what time are your flights, if they are at 8-10 in the morning, I wouldn't take a pill, if they are night flights and you have a hard time to sleep in a plane, sure take a pill, but I would take a light relaxant, like 2,5-5mg valium, depends if you have a high tolerance or not, and a very light sleeping pill, the valium will relax you just enough for a light sleeping pill to put you to sleep without being in gases when you wake up. Or have a party the whole night before the flight if it's in the morning, almost don't sleep that should work too
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:10 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Eat a strong cannabis infused granola bar, sleep all the way through. :

I'd just read books, listen music and try to sleep. Probably the best you can do.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:10 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I just drink a lot and then sleep (I'm not a drinker either so it doesn't take that much). When i travel with the kids as i just did LHR to IAH (10 hours each way) I take an anxiety pill.

I do think Doha to Aukland is the longest flight right now at around 17 hours, but 15 isn't far behind.

LHR to LAX is my longest flight ever and that is around 12 hours i think going westbound
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:11 AM   #6
BristolCavendish
Banned

I asked a flight attendant/friend about this years ago. She said the key was to eat when you're hungry and doze when you're sleepy but don't let the time zones interfere with your natural body clock as you will eventually be headed home to your natural habitat and everyday life patterns.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:12 AM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I've flown 15+ hours a few dozen times. It is very painful in economy, slightly less painful in economy plus. If you can swing business, that's the most cost effective upgrade.

Start a z-pack the day before you fly, and get an Rx for a few ambien. Once you get to cruising altitude take the ambien. Sleep through the flight and wake up rested a couple hours before you land.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:16 AM   #8
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
My flight from LAX to Melbourne was around 16 hours. Luckily, I can sleep anywhere and also took an ambien. Since they affect people differently, I wouldn't suggest experimenting on your flight. There really isn't much you can do to make those trips enjoyable.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:23 AM   #9
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Where does everyone get these sleepy pills, I need some.

In the UK all you can get is herbal crap.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:25 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

i get mine from my Dr. the US, they love writing prescriptions there. UK doctors don't hand out the good stuff
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:32 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i get mine from my Dr. the US, they love writing prescriptions there. UK doctors don't hand out the good stuff
Isn't there an epidemic of addicts because of all those doctors handing out the 'good stuff' ?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:33 AM   #12
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Check out www.seatguru.com

There are seats that are better than others on all different planes. If you can't go first or business class try to get the best seat you can.

Noise cancelling headphones are key to not feeling crappy, IMHO. Using them to block out the roar of the jet engins helps.

A cocktail or wine and a sleep aid works for me. Drink a lot of water, get up and walk and stand often. Comfortable clothes, compression socks are good and movies, music, magazines help pass the time.

Paul, joining the mile high club would be good too! Is Ana down?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:33 AM   #13
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Unisom and Kirkland are over the counter in the US. There's lots of other stuff. Tylenol PM is supposed to be good... I've never taken it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 05:59 AM   #14
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Generic diphenhydramine is good for sleep and is less expensive when bought as allergy medicine rather than as a sleep aid.

They are exactly the same.

Twenty-five milligrams tablets should do the trick, if taken as directed.

https://www.amazon.com/Various-Diphe...2RHB87JDE8M35X

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 06:36 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
2 vodkas and a xanax

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 06:48 AM   #16
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Like 5 mg of Xanax is what my brother gets prescribed for his 14 hour flights.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:04 AM   #17
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

In all sincerity paul..

Try to be packed the day before.. are you taking AA (Fl. 73) late from LAX 23:30 ?? If this is the flight try to get up early that same day, no sleeping in. Go work out, drink lots of Water, stay busy.

There is 52 seats in including first, which has 8 on the 777 so 54 in business. If your not 1st class try to get Row 3 in business, no one next to you and window seat. Row 4 is close to Galley I think so maybe there're noisy so refuse that. You should be in this area.

My daughter had this seat but other window, you have status on AA so try your best.

Do you know what date your leaving ? I can pull up seating charts for this flight and what's available at any moment and if the seats taken by paid passengers. That way you can book seat ASAP and a good seat at that. This is AA of course..

If you want to PM me your info I can do this.
Old 14 August 2017, 07:11 AM   #18
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I think there's now a direct flight from LA to Singapore....18 hours...

Anyway, I'd definitely take a sleeping pill.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:19 AM   #19
mph57
"TRF" Member

Hi Paul,

I'm a B777 pilot that flies those 15hr flights. Obviously I can't use any alcohol or meds when I fly but here's what works for me. Here's what I think causes your body to feel exhausted

1. Time zone(s) change
2. Low humidity in the cabin.
3. High cabin altitude in the cabin - 7000' to 8000' on a B777.
4. Noise & vibrations.
5. Cramped confines

Here what I do to try to mitigate those effects.

1. I take a multi vitamin before I fly.
2. I coat my nostrils with Vaseline (they always dry out on a 15hr flt)
3. I take lotion and use it every 2-3 hours as the skin (especially the face) dries out easily...really helps comfort-wise
4. I brush my teeth mid flight and before top of descent.
5. I try to nap when my body dictates (when I do nap, I wear eye cover and wear a noise cancelling headset)
6. I drink a lot of water for the dehydration
7. When I'm awake, I'll get up for a couple of walks around the cabin for circulation.
8. I change into comfortable loose fitting clothes and compression socks.
9. I try to stay away from staring at a bright screen for hours on end e.g. movie screen or computer screen...I think the bright light suppresses the body's natural melatonin.

If budget dictates, I would highly recommend at least a business class seat.

I put zero stress on myself to sleep. If the body wants to it will. I usually read or listen to soft music. When we land, I try to stay awake until a reasonable local evening time. Then I take FAA approved melatonin to aid with sleep.

Enjoy Sydney and London...two of my favorites!

Cheers,

Mike
mph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:24 AM   #20
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
See if you can think of anyone in the world who might be doing something harder than sitting down for 15 hours
hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:24 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
In all sincerity paul..

Try to be packed the day before.. are you taking AA (Fl. 73) late from LAX 23:30 ?? If this is the flight try to get up early that same day, no sleeping in. Go work out, drink lots of Water, stay busy.

There is 52 seats in including first, which has 8 on the 777 so 54 in business. If your not 1st class try to get Row 3 in business, no one next to you and window seat. Row 4 is close to Galley I think so maybe there're noisy so refuse that. You should be in this area.

My daughter had this seat but other window, you have status on AA so try your best.

Do you know what date your leaving ? I can pull up seating charts for this flight and what's available at any moment and if the seats taken by paid passengers. That way you can book seat ASAP and a good seat at that. This is AA of course..

If you want to PM me your info I can do this.
PM enroute
Old 14 August 2017, 07:25 AM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph57 View Post
Hi Paul,

I'm a B777 pilot that flies those 15hr flights. Obviously I can't use any alcohol or meds when I fly but here's what works for me. Here's what I think causes your body to feel exhausted

1. Time zone(s) change
2. Low humidity in the cabin.
3. High cabin altitude in the cabin - 7000' to 8000' on a B777.
4. Noise & vibrations.
5. Cramped confines

Here what I do to try to mitigate those effects.

1. I take a multi vitamin before I fly.
2. I coat my nostrils with Vaseline (they always dry out on a 15hr flt)
3. I take lotion and use it every 2-3 hours as the skin (especially the face) dries out easily...really helps comfort-wise
4. I brush my teeth mid flight and before top of descent.
5. I try to nap when my body dictates (when I do nap, I wear eye cover and wear a noise cancelling headset)
6. I drink a lot of water for the dehydration
7. When I'm awake, I'll get up for a couple of walks around the cabin for circulation.
8. I change into comfortable loose fitting clothes and compression socks.
9. I try to stay away from staring at a bright screen for hours on end e.g. movie screen or computer screen...I think the bright light suppresses the body's natural melatonin.

If budget dictates, I would highly recommend at least a business class seat.

I put zero stress on myself to sleep. If the body wants to it will. I usually read or listen to soft music. When we land, I try to stay awake until a reasonable local evening time. Then I take FAA approved melatonin to aid with sleep.

Enjoy Sydney and London...two of my favorites!

Cheers,

Mike
Thanks Mike, ex Navy Hornet driver here, flying is in my blood as well I just never had any 15 hour sorties during desert storm
Old 14 August 2017, 07:28 AM   #23
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
One word: tequila.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:44 AM   #24
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I use Lorax. Not a fan of alcohol during flights.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 07:56 AM   #25
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Have done EWR-HKG a few times back when it was the longest commercial flight.

I've taken ambien and have gotten a good 8 hours sleep, only to wake up and still have several hours left. It's painful no matter where you sit but it must be hell in economy.

I would quit before allowing my company to put me on a 16 hour flight in economy. It pretty much shows how highly they think of you.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:08 AM   #26
ecdc
"TRF" Member

I've done long ones, nonstop from east coast USA to Shanghai, Jo'burg, Qatar, S. Korea, etc. All 15 hours or so. There's no magic formula to arrive refreshed. Doze a little if you can -- maybe an hour or two of light sleep. Watch a few movies. Get up and pace the aisles every 2 hours for 10 minutes. Stay hydrated. One glass of water every time you get up and walk the aisles, is my rule. But there's no two ways about it, even in lay-down flat business class, you'll be hurting for 2-3 days upon arrival. Try really hard to stay awake until 9pm local time your first couple nights upon arrival to help your body adjust.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I've flown 15+ hours a few dozen times. It is very painful in economy, slightly less painful in economy plus. If you can swing business, that's the most cost effective upgrade.

Start a z-pack the day before you fly, and get an Rx for a few ambien. Once you get to cruising altitude take the ambien. Sleep through the flight and wake up rested a couple hours before you land.
I don't travel too often but when I do one leg can be a 16 hour flight. It's brutal. And I just watch movies and listen to music because trying to sleep is very hard for me. Traveling anywhere is on the very bottom of my list of things I dislike doing.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:38 AM   #28
mph57
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Thanks Mike, ex Navy Hornet driver here, flying is in my blood as well I just never had any 15 hour sorties during desert storm
Thanks for your service Paul...I just saw you're in San Diego. My daughter and my son-in-law (Ensign) are stationed out there. My wife and I make it out there every 3-4 months or so to visit. Beautiful city!
mph57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 08:39 AM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Isn't there an epidemic of addicts because of all those doctors handing out the 'good stuff' ?
Yep, seems very easy tonget opioid drugs in the US, good luck in France, unless you have cancer or something of the like, fat chance they'll give you the drugs, pain killers sure, opioid ones? No way
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 09:17 AM   #30
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Paul im on a 5 hour flight now, I will just be on trf the whole time, looking at what Gerardo cooks and what Bristols gotta say today
Somebody PM me im bored
Danny83 is online now   Reply With Quote