The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 August 2017, 07:17 PM   #1
jscom
"TRF" Member

5500 Air King matt black index dial question

I have a silver dial 5500 Air King (wonderfully serviced by RSC) and I am thinking of adding a black dial to my modest collection at some point in time. I am doing some research now and it appears that there exist several variations of the black index dial, with different styles of indexes and with either gloss or matt dials.

My question to you is about matt black dials: from what I have seen so far, they seem to be less frequent than gloss black dials. Is this indeed the case? Does it mean that matt black dials have only been available during specific years or for specific markets? Is there anything specific to matt black dials I should be aware of or cautious about?

Basically I am interested in anything you know about 5500 matt black index dials!

Many thanks :-)
jscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 07:59 PM   #2
jscom
"TRF" Member

Can anyone confirm when matt black index dials were actually available for 5500 Air Kings?

Also, do these two examples look authentic? The left one is said to be from 1987 and the right one is said to be from 1968: do they look original to you?

Again many thanks in advance :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Matt.jpg (129.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 17 August 2017, 10:29 PM   #3
jscom
"TRF" Member

I just read this in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You can post links to any watch sales you are considering in the Watchout section.
Apologies that I did not respect that part of the forum etiquette. I am quite new on this board and I am still learning... Accordingly, I have now moved my question to the Watchout section:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...18#post7838318

However in this current post I remain interested in any general information about matt black index dials for 5500 Air Kings.

Many thanks again!