The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2017, 10:51 PM   #1
brlipert
"TRF" Member

Opinions on 6827 Datejust?

Hi all,

Recent newcomer to vintage Rolex here. I bought a 1601 Datejust with black index dial a few months back and have been very happy with it. My wife has been hinting that she wants a Rolex too.

About a year ago, we browsing at a local AD (before I bought mine) and she tried on a few watches and expressed her preference for the SS Datejust in 31mm with beveled bezel and black index or diamond dial. We weren't sold on the value proposition of buying a new one though, and I feel that the vintage Datejusts seem more visually attractive in its details than the current 178274 reference.

Looking online, it doesn't seem like there are many vintage or pre-owned offerings in 31mm (especially with black dial) but I did come across one nice-looking 1980 6827 with diamond dial being sold by an apparently well-reputed dealer in Hong Kong. The listing says that it is a 6.7 million serial and that everything is authentic Rolex.

I haven't been able to find much information about reference 6827, so I'm attaching a few photos from the listing in the hopes that some of you can share your expertise and opinions.

In particular, I don't know anything about diamond dials, and was wondering how to tell if it's an original, redial, aftermarket, etc.

Many Thanks!

-B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brlipert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 06:00 AM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Looks orig

Old 17 August 2017, 09:57 PM   #3
brlipert
"TRF" Member

Thanks, any other thoughts?

Old 19 August 2017, 12:17 PM   #4
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
i agree the diamond settings are indeed rolex and the watch looks fine. my only suggestion is to possibly introduce your wife to the idea of getting the 36mm version. the entire concept of "his and hers" watches is steadily fading and more women are preferring the full size watch models. as an example, my wife is a petite gal but considers 36mm datejusts too small for her and prefers bigger models. the 5mm difference in size is not that much of a difference in wrist feel for your wife, and the benefit is she will be "in style" for decades to come with the larger model. as an aside, the midsize models will never generate the same interest or desirability should she decide to upgrade down the road and trade it in or sell it.

just my opinion :)
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 04:04 AM   #5
Rolex_Luther07
"TRF" Member

I think the larger models are a fad to be honest. 36mm is fine on my wrist which is probably 7.5 inches plus. If she likes it, go for it. I cannot tell the authenticity I will leave that to the experts but it looks real to me. Best way is to check the case and have them show you the movement if possible.
Rolex_Luther07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:57 AM   #6
brlipert
"TRF" Member

Interesting suggestion on the size. When she expressed preference for the 31mm, she was comparing it to the smaller Lady Datejust (28mm I think). I can ask her to try on my 36mm 1601. The danger might get be that I won't get it back!

Old 20 August 2017, 08:31 AM   #7
doramas
Banned

For women, it is more elegant 31mm than 36mm. I do not buy a watch to make money for a possible sale
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:05 AM   #8
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
For women, it is more elegant 31mm than 36mm. I do not buy a watch to make money for a possible sale
this thread and replies were not about you. now go obsess over your datejust bracelet and give us a break. that was a joke just in case it flew over your head
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 05:25 PM   #9
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
this thread and replies were not about you. now go obsess over your datejust bracelet and give us a break. that was a joke just in case it flew over your head
I ask and I think what I think
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote