The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 6 November 2019, 01:28 AM   #1
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
First time doing a face to face transaction on a Rolex

Have a chance to purchase a Rolex Date Sub with box and papers from a local private seller. Would it be enough to meet up at an AD and have them run the warranty card or is it better to go to a jeweler and have them authenticate it there?

Also, how to you guys like money to exchange hands? Cash? Money Order? Wire?
RolexMikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:43 AM   #2
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

AD would be ideal. But, if you do the transaction at an AD, it may piss them off?
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 02:48 AM   #3
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

been searching the forums and found that KENT MIKOLITE at Fine Swiss Watch Repair would be a good place to go to get it authenticated. Any Chicago people done work with him?
Old 6 November 2019, 02:50 AM   #4
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinikari01 View Post
AD would be ideal. But, if you do the transaction at an AD, it may piss them off?
thought it was common for people to bring watches to an AD to get it authenticated?
Old 6 November 2019, 02:55 AM   #5
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Hey Mike. I have yet done any work on my watches yet. When its required I do not plan on going to a local authorized repair dealer. I prefer RSC to fully service all my Rolex.

Kent's review online seems legit, I would rather do the transaction in front of Kent and have him fully evaluate the legitimacy of the watch. Good luck!
Old 6 November 2019, 02:57 AM   #6
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexMikeC View Post
thought it was common for people to bring watches to an AD to get it authenticated?
authenticated yes. my bad, I thought you said you'd be doing the entire transaction in an AD. LOL.
Old 6 November 2019, 03:00 AM   #7
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Mike. I have yet done any work on my watches yet. When its required I do not plan on going to a local authorized repair dealer. I prefer RSC to fully service all my Rolex.

Kent's review online seems legit, I would rather do the transaction in front of Kent and have him fully evaluate the legitimacy of the watch. Good luck!
Sounds good, does he need a heads up before I go, or just show up with the private seller?
Old 6 November 2019, 03:09 AM   #8
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds good, does he need a heads up before I go, or just show up with the private seller?
It wouldn't hurt to call ahead of time and let Kent know if he's avail. during date and time of your meet up with the potential seller.
Old 6 November 2019, 08:49 AM   #9
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt to call ahead of time and let Kent know if he's avail. during date and time of your meet up with the potential seller.
Went in today to drop off a piece to service and had a chat with Kent. He is a stand up guy
Old 8 November 2019, 02:38 AM   #10
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Did the transaction at the jeweler, everything went smoothly. Kent was great and verified everything.

Been looking for a GMT or a Date Sub.

Ended up with the 116710LN GMT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D598B147-D78A-4737-B3DD-D909CF407948.jpeg (84.3 KB, 445 views)
Old 8 November 2019, 03:25 AM   #11
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
AD won't mind, they may charge you a small fee for Authenticating it since they may need to open the case to see that all is fine and genuine inside.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 06:08 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

First time doing a face to face transaction on a Rolex

Quote:
Did the transaction at the jeweler, everything went smoothly. Kent was great and verified everything.

Glad to hear that. Sounds as though you were pleased. How did you pay?

So you might add a Who’s Who reference for that watchmaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 06:17 AM   #13
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:

Very nice, congrats.

Regarding your previous question about exchanging funds (for future reference):

For local/FTF deals I typically request to meet at my local bank (they have a nice separate lounge/waiting area).
If all looks good after inspection (I bring a 10x loupe) and an agreement is made, it's just a matter of walking over to the teller window to draft a certified cashier's check for the seller.
This requires the seller to provide/confirm their name for the check. Obviously not fool-proof, but does add another layer of security/insurance.
I also make sure to keep my hands and/or eyes on the watch at all times, prior to the exchange.

If you are not confident enough to authenticate a piece on your own, and feel more comfortable authenticating via 3rd party/AD, I would still do the actual exchange at a bank with a cashier's check.
In addition to having the seller provide their name for the check, everyone will be on camera. That is usually the case at jewelers/AD's too, but at a bank you know they are there, and operational.
Not to mention, many jewelers/AD's frown upon individuals doing the actual transaction at their place-of-business.

Also, I don't even waste my time if a seller is not willing to communicate via phone, with a legitimate phone number.
If they only want to communicate via email or a VOIP/Google-Voice number, it's a non-starter for me. YMMV.

freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 07:48 AM   #14
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Glad to hear that. Sounds as though you were pleased. How did you pay?

So you might add a Who’s Who reference for that watchmaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Will do, Kent was friendly and happy to check everything while the exchange happened there.

I ended up bringing cash
Old 8 November 2019, 07:52 AM   #15
RolexMikeC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Very nice, congrats.

Regarding your previous question about exchanging funds (for future reference):

For local/FTF deals I typically request to meet at my local bank (they have a nice separate lounge/waiting area).
If all looks good after inspection (I bring a 10x loupe) and an agreement is made, it's just a matter of walking over to the teller window to draft a certified cashier's check for the seller.
This requires the seller to provide/confirm their name for the check. Obviously not fool-proof, but does add another layer of security/insurance.
I also make sure to keep my hands and/or eyes on the watch at all times, prior to the exchange.

If you are not confident enough to authenticate a piece on your own, and feel more comfortable authenticating via 3rd party/AD, I would still do the actual exchange at a bank with a cashier's check.
In addition to having the seller provide their name for the check, everyone will be on camera. That is usually the case at jewelers/AD's too, but at a bank you know they are there, and operational.
Not to mention, many jewelers/AD's frown upon individuals doing the actual transaction at their place-of-business.

Also, I don't even waste my time if a seller is not willing to communicate via phone, with a legitimate phone number.
If they only want to communicate via email or a VOIP/Google-Voice number, it's a non-starter for me. YMMV.

I wasn’t too comfortable IDing the piece so I decided to meet at my jeweler. The seller wanted cash, so I told him we would just go to the bank afterwards. I ended up bringing cash there without letting seller know since after IDing I didn’t want the watch to leave my sight going to the bank.
Old 10 November 2019, 04:32 PM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn’t too comfortable IDing the piece so I decided to meet at my jeweler. The seller wanted cash, so I told him we would just go to the bank afterwards. I ended up bringing cash there without letting seller know since after IDing I didn’t want the watch to leave my sight going to the bank.

Great move on avoiding the chance for bait & switch. The reaction of a handover there and then will tell you anything you need to know

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 12:23 AM   #17
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Congratulations Mike on your new acquisition- enjoy , james in San Antonio Texas:-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote