The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 May 2014, 05:29 PM   #1
poday
"TRF" Member

Looking to buy a 1680

Hello,

After comparing many of the different references, I've finally decided that a 1680 Sub needs to be my next watch. I've seen a few examples that look good (to my relatively untrained eye), however they've been on the market for quite some time (up to five months in one case). With that, would the experts here mind chiming in on whether or not any of these would be a smart buy?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/rol...e-1031788.html

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_6793179

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_6791024

Thanks in advance!
poday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Clay
Banned

I am going to be little help here I'm sure, but wanted to say "Welcome" to the forum…Just the same...

My thoughts:

At first glance they all look to be nice honest watches…

In terms of what's a "Good Buy"…That is only something that you can decide…

A watch is only worth what you are willing to pay for it regardless of what anyone else says or thinks…

Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for Box & Papers??? that's up to the individual…For me, no…

Case condition is VERY important to me…How much "polishing" will you tolerate…???

Do you prefere a watch with a Patina to it, or do you like a "White" dial and hand set…Everyone has is own preference...

If a watch has been serviced and by a known entity, AND the seller has the paperwork to "Prove" it…That is a big plus in my book…

Does the seller offer a return policy…Always nice to have that option…

How do they want payment…??? Does that matter to you..??? I will not wire money to someone I have never heard of or don't know…!!!

Over the years I have found that in 95% of the cases, I knew within the first couple of minutes if I really wanted a particular watch…

I say, go with your GUT and buy the one that makes you go: ooooo, aaaaa!

As I said, probably little help here but good luck with your search...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

First watch is a mk 2 dial with beautiful patina and matching hands. With a recent service it is priced right.
Second watch has a service dial.
Third watch has a mk 2 dial as well with a lighter patina and matching hands. it comes on a nice 93150 and is priced right.
Old 1 June 2014, 12:30 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Since you are in the bay area, just visit Jacek and be done with it. It's by appt only.

http://www.hqmilton.com/

You'll get educated and won't get screwed and get to actually touch the watch.

Ever think that the watch that shows up when you buy on-line won't even be the same watch, plus you need to find someone to open it up and make sure it doesn't have a battery in it...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2014, 12:58 PM   #5
poday
"TRF" Member

Hi Clay, and thanks for the welcome!

Your post was actually quite helpful, and you raised some very good questions.

While I agree that a watch (or anything) is worth what you are willing to pay for it, that assumes that you know what you're getting. I've been researching Subs, and the 1680 in particular for a while now, so I can spot obvious issues, but some of the more subtle issues are still a mystery to me.

For me, box and papers are nice, but not really a deciding factor. I would prefer an unpolished case (or as close as possible for a 30+ year old watch), but clever photography can make it difficult to see how much polishing a case has seen. As far as patina goes, I definitely prefer creamy lume to stark white, as I think it signals the age of the watch, and provides at least some assurance that you aren't looking at a recent service replacement dial. I generally assume a watch needs service unless there is full documentation of a recent one, so that's not much of a concern to me. Lastly, yes, PayPal is preferred unless it's a seller that I am personally confident is on the up and up.

What I know I want to avoid is service dials and over polished cases. I also want to avoid recently replaced hands, as the difference in patina is distracting. Lower priority (but still important) would be an original bezel, though I don't know if that's reasonable within my budget (~8k). Lowest priority would be an "old style" crystal, but this isn't a deal breaker
Old 1 June 2014, 12:59 PM   #6
poday
"TRF" Member

Quite helpful, thanks!

How does one differentiate a service dial from an original?
Old 1 June 2014, 12:59 PM   #7
poday
"TRF" Member

Great advice, thanks! Now if I could just get away from work...
Old 1 June 2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Dr DRW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers
Agree i and 3 are nice and fairly priced , i personally prefer the darker patina.
Dr DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Dr DRW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Divers
If anyone is wondering the first watch sold for what the guy was asking and i picked up the third for a bit less than the seller wanted. Can't wait to get it.

Dr DRW is offline   Reply With Quote