The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 02:51 PM   #91
Dustytrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterquartz
OP, if you could open the caseback, I could tell you how likely the movement / balance / plates / components / reverse wheel / case / etc. are genuine or aftermarket.
Dustytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:01 PM   #92
igomez70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
you didnt get scammed...you just bought a piece of crap..it seems without doing much homework.
Exactly. no need to get sophisticated and get into fancy explanations/solutions. The watch is just ugly, a piece of fake crap. The only possible solution is to return it and if that's not an option you are screwed.

But everyone make mistakes, it's a learning experience.
igomez70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:49 PM   #93
VladimirS
"TRF" Member

I think you do still have some recourse here (the following does not constitute legal advice).

Explain to the vendor that you have suspicions the movements are genuine and that you will be asking Rolex to check and service the watch due to the inaccurate timekeeping.

Inform him that if the movement is not genuine you will report to trading standards and would he like to offer you a refund before you go to the trouble of taking the watch to Rolex. Assuming of course it was sold as a ‘modified genuine’ Rolex.

Bear in mind that if you take the watch to an AD it won’t be returned unless it is genuine.

If it turns out the watch is not genuine and Trading Standards won’t help, pursue your losses through the small claims.

The risk is you’ll end up with no watch and no money and you’ll have spent more on court fees if he won’t pay, but to my mind it is better knowing than just trying to live with it, and it sounds like you want an answer.

For what it’s worth, looking at the photos I’d say the watch is more likely genuine (but in poor condition) than not, but I say that without any degree of confidence. The issue you then have is that Rolex will charge you to restore it to its original specification if you want it serviced. Maybe in that case go to a respected independent? Can recommend someone if you end up in this situation.
VladimirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:59 PM   #94
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
You bought a molested datejust from a watch dealer based in Hatton Gardens. You’ve already received tonnes of advice here from fellow TRF’s.

Going forward, do your research and you should be ok. £4000 was never going to buy you much but perhaps a nice Air King or Oyser Perpetual from a credible seller with papers would have been a better choice if it absolutely has to be Rolex.

My advice, get the missing diamond sorted, get the seller to resolve the timekeeping then sell the watch. Don’t be tempted to buy from the same dealer again regardless of what they say.

Start saving again after the loss you’re going to take and have no regrets, you learned a valuable lesson at a relatively low cost.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:02 PM   #95
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I think its worth mentioning to the seller that the watch is not keeping time, so its his responcibility to rectify or refund.
Trading standards getting involved may be enough for him to back down on refusing to refund, citizens advice and trading standards contacting him may put the fear in.
If bought over the internet, you are also covered under the distance trading laws.

It costs you nothing to go to citizens advice and trading standards .... if you were unaware that the dial and bezel were aftermarket and not genuine Rolex you may have a case.
Old 16 February 2019, 09:16 PM   #96
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Try Russell Talerman in London. He can tell you if its real or not. Then go from there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:44 PM   #97
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

So looks to me as if some bits are legit (hands seem reasonable) but somehow the rest of it doesn't look quite right to me but it is difficult unless you have it in your hand for real to be sure.

The dial/diamond bezel isn't the best job and though diamonds can be displaced they really should not just 'fall out' - that is substandard workmanship. Any half decent jeweller will tell you that......

If you want to know if its real then you can take it down to the Rolex Service Centre on St James' Square. Open Monday-Friday only but they will for sure tell you. Problem is they will put it all back to the original specification with little in the way of negotiation.

If you just want the back taken off then there are plenty of places around that can easily do that, are fully authorised by Rolex, and can tell you what is going on.

I agree with others that the watch should not be gaining time as you suggest. Either it has been magnetised or carelessly handled. However, that would be consistent with the post-hoc bezel modification of diamonds which sound badly set and the look isn't great (just go to a Rolex showroom or Watches of Switzerland and ask to look at a few diamond encrusted bezel models - you will instantly see the difference). Somehow I don't believe that this was done in Hatton Garden - most of the stuff there tends to be high end but everything is possible - maybe the person who did this was not that experienced or it was a rushed job done on a cheap budget......

I apologise that much of this is not what you want to hear but I think you really do have to have someone who knows what they are doing take the back off this and look at it for you and tell you what's what. Then at least you know where you stand and you can decide what you want to do.

Personally if you can send this back to the seller and get your money back that is a no brainer in my view and I would not be able to do this fast enough.....

FD.

NB - just been over to that Instagram site - photos either very heavily lit so you just see sparkle and cannot see the setting, watches set well back in the frame so they are too small to see or nicely soft focused or blurred if up close.........
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:14 AM   #98
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I think you guys scared the OP away...
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:36 AM   #99
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you can buy followers and then you look legit

i get solicitations every day. I assume some people maintain thousands of fake profiles and if you pay them they all follow you
Tyler perhaps you should avoid lingering on street corners?
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #100
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

My perspective: “if you have to ask...then yes”

Some parts definitely look the “part,” but it is a Frankenstein of a bunch of junk for sure.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #101
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:55 AM   #102
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Curious to know if it is/was a Rolex. Go AD or trusted seller or go home.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote