The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2021, 03:55 PM   #31
carbon888
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Cyclops l SD43
It was the only Rolex I planned to buy and I settled on SD43. The look of it is flawless. I researched and looked at it for 2-3 years and it still struck me every time I see a pic of it. It's the perfect looking Rolex, the red line, matte black dial, HEV, fully graduated bezel, writing on the back, just much more interesting and less common than a sub. Some nights when I put my baby to sleep and I finally get some alone time. I would open the box and have it sit beside me while I browse. I would sometimes turn the bezel and just listen to the clicks. I haven't wore any other Rollie so I can't compare but I love the wrist presence. I don't find it heavy at all, like comon we are all grown men, how heavy can a watch be? Also you dont' have to pay a big premium on it compare to others, very underated watch

btw I've a 6.75" flat wrist and it fits just right
carbon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 04:40 PM   #32
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon888 View Post
It was the only Rolex I planned to buy and I settled on SD43. The look of it is flawless. I researched and looked at it for 2-3 years and it still struck me every time I see a pic of it. It's the perfect looking Rolex, the red line, matte black dial, HEV, fully graduated bezel, writing on the back, just much more interesting and less common than a sub. Some nights when I put my baby to sleep and I finally get some alone time. I would open the box and have it sit beside me while I browse. I would sometimes turn the bezel and just listen to the clicks. I haven't wore any other Rollie so I can't compare but I love the wrist presence. I don't find it heavy at all, like comon we are all grown men, how heavy can a watch be? Also you dont' have to pay a big premium on it compare to others, very underated watch

btw I've a 6.75" flat wrist and it fits just right
“Alone time with the watch after the kids are asleep, I open the watch box and just turn the bezel snd listen to the clicks”

I’ve just woke up and you’ve made my f******* day I thought I was weird

JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:11 PM   #33
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2_saint View Post
Hi all,

I am currently looking to add a Rolex 126600 sea dweller to my collection and was wondering from the current owners if the SD 43 is suitable as an everyday watch? How does the weight compare to the sub? I want a watch which would work perfectly as an office watch for meetings, perfect for weekends and beach and something that will blend well when travelling for vacation. How comfortable is the watch with a rubber strap?

I currently have a pretty decent collection (Sub, Pepsi, Daytona, DJ 41, Cellini, RG Yatchmaster) but feel I am missing a watch that can take a beating.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Which sub? I think the 126610 sub is perfect. If you want a little more wrist presence get the LV.

I wore a 126600 daily for about 5 Months. It’s great but I could not see myself dressing up in it. It’s thick. I loved everything about it I just wished it was thinner. Then the 12 subs came out and the proportions are spot on imo.

Any Rolex especially SS sports models can take a Beating. The wrist presence of the SD43 is undeniable but I would say in a collection it’s more of a weekend watch if I’m being honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:42 PM   #34
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I cannot speak to the sub41 but have sd43, and I think it is an awesome daily watch. I would love to find rubber that would really work comfortably but have been mostly unable to find one. I tried rubber b and fit was not good. I have the Everest - better than RB for my fit, but still something is off. I think the weight of this watch is too much for the strap thickness so you need to wear pretty tight. I have found that isofrane works comfortably but not the best looking. Wish Rolex would come out with good rubber strap for the sub/sd line.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:07 PM   #35
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
It’s so beautiful and so perfect to not wear it as a daily.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:41 PM   #36
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126

Took this a while back. I wear it in rotation, but it could absolutely be a daily. I think I have a 6.5” wrist, maybe slightly larger.

Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 05:27 AM   #37
Sandlapper1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
OP - You have a great collection, but I wouldn't buy the SD43 just for it's ability to take a beating! Given its thickness, as compared to your other pieces, I can almost guarantee you that at some point, you will inadvertently make contact with a doorknob or counter top!! Although I don't baby my SD43, I am mindful when wearing it. However, I made contact with a door knob last week and got my first significant scratch! The watch and doorknob both survived !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 29132488-E6E6-4015-BAD1-8C5972E90F3F_1_201_a.jpeg (154.1 KB, 326 views)
Sandlapper1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 05:39 AM   #38
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper1960 View Post
OP - You have a great collection, but I wouldn't buy the SD43 just for it's ability to take a beating! Given its thickness, as compared to your other pieces, I can almost guarantee you that at some point, you will inadvertently make contact with a doorknob or counter top!! Although I don't baby my SD43, I am mindful when wearing it. However, I made contact with a door knob last week and got my first significant scratch! The watch and doorknob both survived !!
Mines covered it’s almost my beater at this point but I love this about it
Old 13 July 2021, 06:06 AM   #39
Sandlapper1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
[QUOTE=JSolution;11575559]Mines covered it’s almost my beater at this point but I love this about it[/QUOTE

I’m looking forward to my next scratch…. It will prove that I’m enjoying wearing it!!
Sandlapper1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 06:40 AM   #40
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I really don’t understand the watch taking a beating thing. What are you guys doing, throwing your wrists into doorknobs?
Me too . I personally never understand why using your several thousand Pound/Dollar/Euro watch in all manner of situations that will relegate it to a "beater" is seen as being brilliant and "character", and yet getting stone chips and scratches on your car is something to be avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I wear and enjoy the hell out of my watches, but I'd no more wear my SD43 for something like car maintenance, than I'd wear a pair of Oxford brogues to hike across a field.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 06:52 AM   #41
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Me too . I personally never understand why using your several thousand Pound/Dollar/Euro watch in all manner of situations that will relegate it to a "beater" is seen as being brilliant and "character", and yet getting stone chips and scratches on your car is something to be avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I wear and enjoy the hell out of my watches, but I'd no more wear my SD43 for something like car maintenance, than I'd wear a pair of Oxford brogues to hike across a field.
Considering the big ethos of Rolex (ss sport models in particular) is that of adventure and exploration, military application history.. I think this is why we're referring to its 'beater' quality. I think what another poster mentioned about case height is a valid one and may lead to potentially more dings and clashes with surroundings than a thinner model like a GMT or sub.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 07:03 AM   #42
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:

When I say beater I mean it’s not something I ever think about taking off to do something. For instance if I’m wearing a full yellow gold piece and my 60kg dog decides he wants to have a wrestling match with me lol, I will take it off. With the sd43 I wouldn’t be so concerned. I’m not going to go rock climbing with it or for example as you put do car maintenance with it. But compared to being a lot more conscious with say a YG sky dweller, I don’t think twice.

I always like to have a watch on and if I’m going to do some gardening let’s say for example I have two seikos an skx007 and skx009.
Old 13 July 2021, 07:12 AM   #43
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Considering the big ethos of Rolex (ss sport models in particular) is that of adventure and exploration, military application history.. I think this is why we're referring to its 'beater' quality. I think what another poster mentioned about case height is a valid one and may lead to potentially more dings and clashes with surroundings than a thinner model like a GMT or sub.
Agreed, but all that adventure, exploration, and military stuff was from a time when there was no alternative. Nowadays there are dive computers for diving and G-Shock's for any other rough situation, so while modern Rolexes CAN cope with the rough stuff (and I happily swim with mine and wear them every day), I'm just not sure why anyone would WANT to put it to any kind of serous test. I always remember my dad would remove his (non-Rolex) watch for the gardening, or DIY when I was a kid, and his watch was probably worth less than £100. I just don't see why scratches are a badge on honour, but each to their own.
Old 13 July 2021, 07:26 AM   #44
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

damage or character?
Old 13 July 2021, 07:41 AM   #45
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Damage or character?

I'm kidding of course...

That said though, if you use a watch hard enough it will get scratched to hell, just like if you use a car hard enough it will also get scratched to hell. I just find it odd that on watches it's character and on anything else it's damage. But I have absolutely nothing against how people choose to use their own possessions. It's all good!

Anyway I think we're going a bit off topic here! Sorry OP!
Old 13 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #46
j2_saint
"TRF" Member

lol all good mate. I love to hear everyone's perspective and see how they view watches and its use.

my other concern of getting an SD 43 is that I am outdoorsy and when things open up, I tend to travel to south east asia, so I am looking for a watch that would be perfect during the day for meetings and then something to wear at night. Plus want something that does not catch a lot of attention.

Quote:

Damage or character?

I'm kidding of course...

That said though, if you use a watch hard enough it will get scratched to hell, just like if you use a car hard enough it will also get scratched to hell. I just find it odd that on watches it's character and on anything else it's damage. But I have absolutely nothing against how people choose to use their own possessions. It's all good!

Anyway I think we're going a bit off topic here! Sorry OP!
j2_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 02:32 PM   #47
M45
Banned

Quote:
lol all good mate. I love to hear everyone's perspective and see how they view watches and its use.

my other concern of getting an SD 43 is that I am outdoorsy and when things open up, I tend to travel to south east asia, so I am looking for a watch that would be perfect during the day for meetings and then something to wear at night. Plus want something that does not catch a lot of attention.
SE Asia is a very big place.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 06:23 PM   #48
Arlchrono
Banned

SD43 will make a perfect pair with your Sub for the job of the everyday watch.
Arlchrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 07:32 PM   #49
j2_saint
"TRF" Member

I think so too
j2_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 09:10 PM   #50
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:

If you want something that does not catch a lot of attention you better stay away from the SD43.l, the watch is line a very very strong magnet to people’s attention.

Old 13 July 2021, 10:50 PM   #51
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
[QUOTE=KingSub;11573502]I recently found myself in the same dilemma. I have a 41 Sub and was offered the SD43. I have small wrists and once I tried it on the SD43 looked massive on my wrist but the 41 Sub is perfect for my wrist and am happy I didn't get the SD43.

The 41 Sub I feel has perfect proportions and so much better then the previous generation which had oversized lugs. If you have larger wrists then the SD43 will look great. I have a friend who has a larger wrist and has an SD43 and it looks perfect on his wrist.

I know it comes down to personal preference but I think the SD43 looks great on your wrist.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:08 PM   #52
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Hi all,

I am currently looking to add a Rolex 126600 sea dweller to my collection and was wondering from the current owners if the SD 43 is suitable as an everyday watch? How does the weight compare to the sub? I want a watch which would work perfectly as an office watch for meetings, perfect for weekends and beach and something that will blend well when travelling for vacation. How comfortable is the watch with a rubber strap?

I currently have a pretty decent collection (Sub, Pepsi, Daytona, DJ 41, Cellini, RG Yatchmaster) but feel I am missing a watch that can take a beating.

Your opinions are appreciated.
You already have the perfect daily, one that you can office, beach and travel with - your Submariner. For me, the Sub is a better daily as it's less in your face and look better under a shirt cuff

Nice collection BTW
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:13 PM   #53
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
You have a great collection, and all could be worn as a daily. Comparing your sub vs an SD43 is just personal preference. Very similar watches, both can take the so called daily “beating” you’re after.
So it’s basically a matter of if you want one, do you like to wear it, is it comfortable for you? And yes, of course it can be a daily if you want it for that purpose.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:16 PM   #54
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

I feel like the SD43 stands out more than a sub or previous gen SD4k. Bigger diameter, cyclops, higher case height, bigger ceramic bezel.
Old 13 July 2021, 11:23 PM   #55
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

RG yatchmater is the star of your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:25 PM   #56
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
SD 43 126600 as an everyday watch?

It's an amazing watch.

I'm a bigger guy and I just didn't like the size of it. Much prefer sub or GMT sizing.

EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 12:13 AM   #57
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
It's an amazing watch.

I'm a bigger guy and I just didn't like the size of it. Much prefer sub or GMT sizing.
Have to tell you the SD looks perfect for you. I'm surprised you didn't like it.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 01:34 AM   #58
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
It’s certainly doable and when I got mine I wore it from several months every day. It’s a bit big and bulky but in a good way, feels like you are wearing a bank vault. The flip,side is you always know it’s there and is bigger than most shirt cuffs,etc. My pepsi is def more comfortable and that had become a more frequent driver and when I’m doing something more arduous or ‘nautical’ I wear the SD. It can easily be a daily wearer or a big part of your rotation.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 08:18 AM   #59
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Have to tell you the SD looks perfect for you. I'm surprised you didn't like it.
My wife loved it on me.

I felt it It looked great on me as well but I just didn’t like the heft. The wrist presence is amazing though.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2021, 09:34 AM   #60
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
sure, why not?